[Polar Challenge Special] July 25th, 2007

It's a joke. Sir Ranulph Fiennes is the man who talks to the presenters about the seriousness of adventures in artic climate. He is some sort of hero.

"In a 2007 Top Gear special, the presenters travelled to the Magnetic North Pole in a car. Sir Ranulph was given recognition by having his name placed before every surname in the closing credits: "Sir Ranulph Clarkson, Sir Ranulph Hammond, Sir Ranulph May"...."

I love his classic line:
"And you lot are apparently ignorant." :D

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
Is there a "what's that's song" thread for this special? I can't find it. :S

How did James stay so calm?

How did James stay so calm?

i may be the only one with the courage to answer that question so here goes . that was the sound of the horn of the general lee , the car in the dukes of hazzard ...
an american tv show from the early 80s .

good day , gunnar

That's true, and living in the southern united states, it used to be very common to hear it, but not so much in the past few years, although every other vehicle is a truck. That much is true. And a good number of them are carring red necks.

After watching the polar special with my friend the other night, he has decided even though Richard was fantastic in what he did, James should have won the overall prize for not putting that ax through Jeremy's head. :lol:

skylock

Only real problem was their style of cutting the film into non-chronological order.:thumbsdown:

I was very suprised that they didnt have front winch and boring tool. Or special-purpose track carpets which would have prevented major sinking into the snow.

Funny episode. Watched the version on youtube so i didnt get the full effect, just the episode, but lord was it funny lol.

I was very suprised that they didnt have front winch and boring tool. Or special-purpose track carpets which would have prevented major sinking into the snow.
I was a bit surprised to, but again Arctic Trucks has done this before...and know what they are doing. And the towing hooks rear and front can also be used to attach a winch in many cases.

Good reading below:
Background, diary and so on
http://www.arctictrucks.com/?PageID=1218

Photogallery:
http://www.arctictrucks.com/?pageid=1062&categoryid=279

Just watched the episode on BBC HD - how long after the Hamster's accident was it filmed?

I was shocked when I saw this episode ... It was the most amazed ever !!! I watched this part with my moutch opened. And I still got tears in eyes when I remind those scenes.
It was funny parts but sometimes this trip was terrify.

Only real problem was their style of cutting the film into non-chronological order.
Thanks to TV channel "Dave" I've seen the "light" version a lot recently, and there is one thing (sorry to sound so petty, but after a while this got really annoying):
It's the "sun not going down" joke with "8pm day 1" .... sun stays the same... "8am day2". And then we see Hammond saying: "This is what I wake up to every morning, there's ice all over my sleeping bag".:?

It's the "sun not going down" joke with "8pm day 1" .... sun stays the same... "8am day2". And then we see Hammond saying: "This is what I wake up to every morning, there's ice all over my sleeping bag".:?

Nothing wrong with that. The time still determines whether it's morning, afternoon or night, but it's a 24hr sun, so everything is daylight...

yes, there is nothing wrong with the sun, but that wasn't my point... but aparentely waking up on day 2 the "every morning" seems totally out of context...

Polar Special - Commentary?

Polar Special - Commentary?

Hope someone can help me here, because I'm a little puzzled :hmm: !!

I recorded the Polar Special when it was first on BBC2 in the UK. All well and good. I've downloaded it from the sat box to my PC, chopped off the trailers at the start and end and have ended up with an mpg file around 1.6Gb.

Now, I decided to check all was well before I went to avi it, but on playing it, it seems to have a commentary track on it now!

For example, at the very start, I hear this guy saying :

"A barren polarscape where arctic winds send powered snow flowing over a harsh white tundra and huge shards of ice occasionally jut into the sky. Somewhere in this unforgiving terrain is a small settlement. Richard and Jeremy"

It goes on, like its someone narrating whats happening and describing whats about to happen throughout the show!

I've no idea why that is and how I came to get that, it's very odd. I check someone elses version and it doesn't have this. I'm puzzled as to how I got this unless there were two audio tracks put out with the original broadcast (which my sat system would have recorded).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hope someone can help me here, because I'm a little puzzled :hmm: !!

((snip))

Now, I decided to check all was well before I went to avi it, but on playing it, it seems to have a commentary track on it now!

You know, it sounds like you somehow snagged a narration-for-the-blind track. I've seen movies that have this narration sometimes. Maybe it's an extra audio track that's triggered in the same way SAP tracks are triggered in the US, but that's just a guess...

Just discovered this:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/11/vlcsnap283289.png

A man going cross-country skiing - WTF!