First ever mechanical failure with the 'Balt! AWESOME!

Elmo187

Car(s)
Cobalt SS/SC-SN95 5.0 Stang-Toyota Corolla AE86
ok, so i went out to the bar for about an hour. didn't drink too much since i was driving. took my drunkard friend to his house with his girlfriend in the backseat. chilled at his house for about half an hour and thought nothing of it that there could possibly be something wrong with my baby. friend passes out, i goto my car, start her up, let off the e-brake, press the clutch in, hit reverse, and hit the gas.

it hits the normal RPM when my car starts moving backwards and nothing happens. so i go a lil higher and the car rolls backwards. but here's the bad part....

when it was rolling backwards i heard those noises that you NEVER EVER wanna hear come from under the car. ALOT of clunking and i let off the gas and the car just stopped moving. it'll go forward, but it'll just shutter forward. i'm not totally pissed right now since this is 1 of 2 dd's that i own. but it sounded catastrophic.

my questions are....

could this be total tranny failure? or is it something smaller? have any of you guys experienced anything like this?

Sounds like your made-in-China clutch went byebye.

In a word, probably

Sounds like your clutch exploded, actually. Ouch.

Don't you still have warranty on it?

Never had a fried clutch lead to terrible clunking noises. If I had to venture a guess I'd say something in the tranny is broke, or you've managed to get it stuck between gears. I've done the latter; the clutch still operated normally, it shifted normally, it acted like it was in neutral but it wouldn't roll. In any case, get it to a shop (or if you're really brave, your driveway :D).

Clunking or shuddering means its probably the pressure-plate, they tend to do that when their either giving out or already gone.

yeah, i'll do my own engine work, but i never mess with the tranny.
It's really not too bad, but then again the only transmission I've rebuilt myself was an old 3 speed GM Saginaw box. I wouldn't even want to have to pull the trans out of a Cobalt, much less dig into it :lol:.

Don't the Cobalts have a known tranny problem? I vaguely recall seeing something about it on a cobalt forum.

Might be worth looking in to.

no, their trannies are fine. i think i just roughed mine up a lil bit. i'm still waiting for word on what's wrong with it. it's still in the shop as we speak and they said they haven't even gotten to the internals just yet. the only thing they did was check on the level of the fluid and if there's any shavings in the fluid itself. they didn't find any, but it's gonna be awhile before they do get into it more. they're backed up like crazy with other people's cars.