Top Gear teams need to compete in the Dakar Rally!

^^^ I didn't know that. Well, TG do it! :wicked:

Probably they would afford to participate in Dakar, but it's too tough rally for them. It's something completely different from Britcar. I just don't want them to die somewhere in wild Africa :p

Moreover, they couldn't drive one in car. 3 cars with guys behind the wheels and filming crews at dakar, is it possible?

I am sure that they just rented the tractors.

remember the production notes of polar special ? They spent most of the time back to land filming the car. And not like in dakar all cars are next to each other.

How about something smaller then. Like the Baja 1000.

Baja 500 would probably be the most doable. Make 'em do the VW beetle class :lol:

I would rather see them do the La Carrera Panamericana. I just don't see that happening with the way they are and the way the rules are about cars.

Double post delete plz?

Click the "edit" button then hit "delete" on the bottom right of the post. :)

Last edited:
I myself think it is a bad idea. One of them could be killed or seriously injured, it is not a controlled enviroment like the 24 hour race was.

Controlled like driving a jet car? :blink:

remember the production notes of polar special ? They spent most of the time back to land filming the car. And not like in dakar all cars are next to each other.

Maybe I am missing the point, but...
For polar special they could do the footage during the way back, however as you mentioned there are many cars close to each other in dakar, so they would have to do the filming stright away. In dakar the whole action have to be filmed, I mean overtaking and so on. I recon it would be very hard task to film the car which is actually racing on a desert.

As cool as Dakar would be, it's a loooooooooooooooooooong race and would need multiple episodes to properly cover.

I think that the Baja 1000 would be a much better race to take part in, it's a much shorter challenge and just as awesome. Anyone who's seen Dust to Glory will attest to the sheer amazingness of Baja.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baja_1000

The trucks seat 3 abreast, so it would work, but whenever JC would be driving you'd just hear the other two screaming.

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lUj6VQTVndU[/YOUTUBE]
Warning the sound is terrible

Great idea! To get themselves worked up, maybe they could swim there. Or wrestle a bear naked...

They say, the cancelllation is due to situation in Mauretania. Maybe they should just change the route. Terrorism wins again :(

^ They can't just change the route when there's nine stages in the affected region - that's almost re-routing the entire rally, it can't be done in a short space of time.

NOOOOO, Dakar canceled?! Damn those bloody faggots terrorists!!!
Such a shame!!

And for Top Gear, I don't think it's such a good idea for them to go to Dakar...
Baja sounds better ;)

Yeah, Dakar would be too 'big' and long for them I guess ;)

:( soo annoying that Dakar 08 is cancelled, damn terrorist thinking that violence is the answer.

What happened to having a chat about it over a cup of tea???

Yeah, Dakar would be too 'big' and long for them I guess ;)

Yeah, but it would enable them to film a special 2 hour epp with the trio entering the rugged event in one of those enormous, awesome, power sliding Volvo trucks. Now that would be entertaining.

But logically it's just too expensive, dangerous and unnecessary and I'm sure no one wants them to get hurt. :no:

I think it would be doable, if and when Dakar comes back. Consider Charlie Boorman's "Race to Dakar"...he was a total amateur.

Still, whatever they come up with, it'll have me on the edge of my seat as always...