Dakar rally CANCELLED

Damn January was a bleak month and now without Dakar its even worse, I hope this is not the end of rally for good.

If terrorists caused this, then what's stopping them from establishing a worldwide Islam dictatorship under muthaf***ing bin Laden????? This sucks. The greatest event in the motorsport off-road adventure year is gone. Hopefully just for this year.

I HATE TERRORISTS!!!!!!!! Just hearing of Al-F***ing-Qaida makes me sick.

Since when is competing in the Paris-Dakar something you do because it's safe? Imagine how great the ratings would be if you added gunfire!

I'm kidding, of course. This seriously sucks.

wasn't there an issue with bandits attacking racers back in the mid to late 80's?

also the pope condemed it last year as "the bloody race of irresponsibility"

LINK

Last edited:
I think there is more to it than just simple terrorism. For one, terrorism in Northern Africa did not suddenly come into existence over that past year, France and Algeria have been at odds for more than 50 years. Two, the majority of participants are NOT French. Finally, I believe that motorsports are not something that terrorists would focus on.

I think there is more to it than just simple terrorism. For one, terrorism in Northern Africa did not suddenly come into existence over that past year, France and Algeria have been at odds for more than 50 years. Two, the majority of participants are NOT French. Finally, I believe that motorsports are not something that terrorists would focus on.

you're right... i blame the pope

Finally, I believe that motorsports are not something that terrorists would focus on.

The organisers received direct threats against the race:

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 24th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

Fuck.

That said, if they were parked in Paris for more than a few seconds they would be set on fire anyway.

lame

The organisers received direct threats against the race:

Such claims are made on a daily basis by almost every organization, event, institution, government.... you name it. 99.9% of which is nonsense just to freak people out and create mass panic for the benefit of some greedy old fat bastards behind the scenes. It almost becomes an excuse nowadays if there are some issues, oh nooo, we can't do this or that, we got terrorist threats. FFS cut the crap and politics and come to some sort of consensus.

I agree with Jay, there must be much more behind the whole thing, but chances are we'll never find out.

Inside sources at the Dakar Rally told GPUpdate.net that the real reason the event was called off is because no insurance company would agree to cover the event following the terror threats, not simply that the organisers decided to call it off on their own merit.

Source

I don't know why they wouldn't just come out and say that they couldn't get insured. But I'd sooner believe that over the original excuse. Whatever the reason really is, it's fucking bullshit that there's no Dakar this year. It's one of a handful of events I actually budget time to watch.