Alternator belt

Jon

Car(s)
Ford Mondeo 2.0 Honda CBR600FS (Now wrecked!)
Is squealing like a piggy! Fair enough, it must be worn, i can change that myself. Put some beltslip on which is working fine for the mean time. It's shut it up.

But there's something strange about it. It only ever squeals when it's on or near full lock. Why would that be? :|

Probably hasn't shut it up enough; when the belt starts to go it will start to slip when the power steering is under more load (at lock). Once a new belt is in and tightened properly it should go away completely.

Mine started screaming whenever I got to lock because the alternator/PS belt was slipping on the PS pulley. Once I replaced it there was no slipping (and no more noise).

[I'd assume the Civic has a similar setup with belts to a Subaru...]

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
But there's something strange about it. It only ever squeals when it's on or near full lock. Why would that be? :|

Because that is when it is working the hardest (and the pulley is using a bit more torque... more torque = more slip!

Are you sure it neesd to be changed? It might just need to be tightened up a bit.

Reactions: Jon
Makes sense! Thank you. I'll go have a play around with it. Thank you for replying anyway. Reps for all! :wink:

Because that is when it is working the hardest (and the pulley is using a bit more torque... more torque = more slip!

Are you sure it neesd to be changed? It might just need to be tightened up a bit.

w0rd to this

Tighten that sucker up, probably all it needs.

Inspect it visually for cracks, if it's cracked, replace it. If it looks good, just tighten it up.

Make sure there isn't a separate power steering pump belt, if so that's what will need tightening.

Yeah, just tighten the bugger up and put some spray lube on the belt while its running. If its cracked or frayed in anyway, replace it.