That feeling in your pants? That's a Nerdgasm

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://kotaku.com/341435/pc-gaming-looks-better-curved

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/08/alienwaremonitorcurved.jpg
Holy mackerel! Look. At. That. Alienware's showing off this eye-catcher at CES. It's a 2880x900 curved monitor backlit by LEDs and boasts a .02ms response time. It'll be out in the second half of this year. Price will be somewhere between "very expensive" and "really fuckin' expensive."

That's awesome looking :w00t:, now if ever they design games with res's of 3.2:1 ratio, we'll be set...

I want two. Dual monitor set up!

Games support 3 way gaming with that matrox thing, so why not this one...

^ Yeah. All it would be is 3 monitors at weird resolutions.

A lot of games support any resolution you can set your Windows to. So if this display is connected as one single display it will work as fine. Or if it is connected as two displays (two cables) it will work just fine too since GPU drivers can span over two displays and make it look like one display to the OS.

I wish it wasn't so narrow in height. It's like looking through a tank turret or something. In real life you would be able to see more below and above you.

^ Most game are designed for that left and right business and are rather limited in the up down departement. Especially racing games would be off the hook on this...

I wish it wasn't so narrow in height. It's like looking through a tank turret or something. In real life you would be able to see more below and above you.
True. But in most games the interesting information (stuff you want to see) is on the horizontal plane. Up there is the sky and down there is the ground, left and right is the directions you want to see.

I think just another monitor's height would be perfect for the vertical size. It would be like 2x3 monitor setup.

True. But in most games the interesting information (stuff you want to see) is on the horizontal plane. Up there is the sky and down there is the ground, left and right is the directions you want to see.

I'm thinking of FPS games with tall buildings (and plenty of windows to shoot from), such as CoD2, and some CoD4 maps.

I think just another monitor's height would be perfect for the vertical size. It would be like 2x3 monitor setup.

That would be just about perfect :)

I have just the thing for you!

CRT_Computer_Monitor.jpg

With this new vertical-bias aspect ratio you can see much more above and below relative to the left-to-right axis. Very handy for some games*.

*Breakout.

lol :lol:

Seriously though, as chvvkumar mentioned, stacking two of those Alienware LCD's from your first post would be amazing.

If you've ever played some of the custom maps on CoD2, you know what I mean. We're talking about maps with 20+ story buildings that you can actually go inside and on top of.

Locating snipers above you would be much easier :thumbup:

Wow that monitor would be like playing games on the viewscreen from the bridge of the Enterprise!

/double nerdgasm!!

^ Yeah. Especially handy with the new "Aircraft Carrier Simulator" game! You captain an aircraft carrier. Thats it. The missions are a bit long though. Takes a while to turn and fight or run away as well.

Seriously though, as chvvkumar mentioned, stacking two of those Alienware LCD's from your first post would be amazing.
That would just be the same as having one (altough large) widescreen monitor. Aspect ratio of 16:10.

Locating snipers above you would be much easier :thumbup:

In games the things you see vertically would be the same as you'd see on a 19" 1440x900 TFT, this thing ONLY gives you extra stuff to the left and right. So your FoV would be bigger, but you wouldn't miss out on other details.

Last edited: