NBC to make US version of Top Gear called "Gear"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think i've ever been so angry/frustrated over a stupid internet forum in my entire life.

How can you all be so stupid as to already make up your mind about something you know absolutely nothing about?

Want to join me in a neg-repping fiasco :lol:? So tempted to neg-rep every negative thing said. These people have already "seen" the pilot and are forming a very good conclusion as to what the show is like. Classic :lmao:.

I wonder how the American version will handle challenges? E.g. If they tried to reproduce the trip the UK TG crew did in the 'down south' then they have an extra problem over the UK series - they could escape by fleeing the country. The US version doesn't have that luxury.

They won't do a "down south" reproduction, because it's already been done.

What they might do is:

-- the best driving road in America

-- Cheap Corvettes / Mustangs / Chargers

-- Crossing Manhattan

-- Airstream Camping Trip

-- Crossing Monument Valley

-- Lake Placid Honda Civic Ski Jump (i.e. break the Mini record)

-- Busting Car Myths (i.e. rivalry with San Francisco's Mythbusters)

-- Car Soccer

-- Flying Cars

In other words, challenges in the *spirit* of Top Gear, not necessarily reproductions. Stuff that's ambitious, yet rubbish.

Count me in as "cautiously excited"

I also fear there will be tag along presenters on top of the three "mains" which could very well be three guys. But to accommodate the "other" groups, the tag along just might be the token bimbo and visible minority dude.

They will have to be PC. That will blow the whole show.
There will have to be a woman on it or there are going to be calls of sexism. There will have to be a black on it or it will be racism. Probably a latino too to draw the latino group.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a bigger problem with being PC in minority-heavy Britain than there is in a massive country like America that's diverse enough already?

Also, I love all the vitriol and anger being spewed at how ZOMG AMERICANS! are taking a whack at this Top Gear thing. If you don't like it, then don't fucking watch it. Good old original, sanctified British Top Gear is still going to be around for your untainted viewing pleasure, it's not like we're actively stealing James May and the Dunsfold hangar so they can come kick it with Danny Bonaduce and Paris Hilton. Change the channel, it's the one freedom that everybody in the world still shares.

To be completely honest...

The Britishness of Top Gear is part of the charm to me. I like seeing them poke fun at american stereotypes, because as an American I dont know how the rest of the world sees us and our cars. And I understand it's a caricature based in humor, but it's based in reality also.

A domestic Top Gear just wouldn't work, I dont think. But I eagerly await seeing it!

It could turn out to be okay, or it could be complete rubbish. I don't know anything about it and I refuse to join the speculation.

For now, it's best if everyone just waits until a trailer for it pops up. All the speculation and arguing is getting a bit ridiculous.

At least we can thank the interweb for allowing us to download this new pilot free of commercials. Too bad that may be what kills it in the end.

I may appear negative about it, but rest assured I will watch the pilot from start to finish.

Another way to look at. Horrible US version of TopGear > the current best US car shows

The logical side of my brain is screaming that this is going to suck, but here's hoping that it comes out okay.

Besides, even if it's only half as good as British Top Gear, it'll beat the rest of American television.

Another way to look at. Horrible US version of TopGear > the current best US car shows
Yeah, nothing will beat the original Top Gear obviously, but just because it won't be better doesn't mean it will be bad.

I mean, just look at The Office. The US version is quite good, regardless of how it compares to the UK version.

I'm keeping my fingers crosses, but I'm not setting my hopes too high as I don't want to get let down.

Yeah, nothing will beat the original Top Gear obviously, but just because it won't be better doesn't mean it will be bad.

I mean, just look at The Office. The US version is quite good, regardless of how it compares to the UK version.

I'm keeping my fingers crosses, but I'm not setting my hopes too high as I don't want to get let down.

Also, another good point out of that: NBC did VERY well with the office (I never expected anything made here to match the hilarity of that show, but it managed to be absolutely hilarious in its own way), so they may be able to pull the same magic here.

One other thing...I am positively beside myself that it will be filmed near L.A. (or anywhere in California for that matter). For one, this means I might actually be able to attend a taping of a (reflection of a) Top Gear show. For two, this state is one of very few places in the United States I'd reccomend for excellent driving roads, and we have an excellent supply of racetracks/unused airstrips as well. Can't wait to see them do a road trip/race up the 1 highway! :woot::woot::woot:

The same with the Aussie version, everyone assumed it would be the worst show (didn't read the whole thread)

If its better than Motorweek I'll be happy. (plus NBC puts almost everything in HD :))

Want to join me in a neg-repping fiasco :lol:? So tempted to neg-rep every negative thing said. These people have already "seen" the pilot and are forming a very good conclusion as to what the show is like. Classic :lmao:.

Isn't that sorta like that whole Reputation abuse thing that Quiky gave infractions about?

1. If you're thinking Hollywood celebrities for hosting Gear, you're looking in the wrong media. Think about magazine columnists from Motor Trend, Road & Track, Car & Driver. (Heck, even Top Gear writers Jamie Kitman or Pat Devereux could qualify as hosts.)

Why? Columnists as co-presenters (a) could be break out stars, and (b) would be cheaper than established celebrities.

2. Why use a Stig for a tame racing driver? How about getting someone like Danica Patrick instead? All that's needed for a test driver, after all, is racing consistency.

3. I'd nominate the Dodge Avenger as Gear's "reasonably priced car." It has a unique cache in being NASCAR's platform for its Car of Tomorrow, despite being almost universally panned as rubbish to drive. (Which, after all, is the point of the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" segment, which is about the Star's ability, not the car.

4. A one-hour time-slot means about 40-44 minutes per episode. If you plan segments around commercials, with a little editing help you can still put together a viewable show.

5. In terms of adapting the format, the "unexpected expense" will come in the form of music for the car segments, due to performance / copyright issues in the US. I'd expect a lot of alternative / prog rock tracks by unknown bands needing the break.

6. And let there be crossovers with Australian and Brit Gear. Things like James May reviewing the upcoming Jaguar XF with a bigger engine -- while ferrying around members of the Jacksonville Jaguars football team, all with something to contribute.

I absolutely agree with #1. However I do have some ideas.

Now as wierd as this may sound...

Ryan Seacrest drives an Aston, he's short, likeable enough... a tv whore! He'd make a good likeable co-presenter!

Also regarding the speed channel talk... the only show that I've watched in the last few years that was worth much besides the rare road race presentations was a car review show presented by Tommy Kendall (don't remember what it was called). He's very likeable... and tall but he's probably not abrasive enough which is key for the Jezza character. Actually I just found this on youtube... funny enough there is a Top Gear discussion going on in the replys. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhzyAWueBm8&feature=related

Regarding #2... the anonymity of the stig is a key part of the show.

Last edited:
Ryan Seacrest drives an Aston, he's short, likeable enough... a tv whore! He'd make a good likeable co-presenter!

That's it. This thread has OFFICIALLY hit rock bottom.

the thing i fear most is crack down on torrents.

I don't think you need to worry about music being an issue. NBC is partly owned (20%) by Vivendi which owns like every record label out there.

You guys can bitch and moan all you like but it's going to fall on deaf ears. 99.9% of Americans have never heard of Top Gear. It just needs to be slightly entertaining for it to be a success. The show's objective is not to appeal to Top Gear fans but to appeal to Americans.

Is The Sarah Connor Chronicles going to be as good as T2? Nope. But will it be entertaining enough to watch... yeah, probably.

the thing i fear most is crack down on torrents.
Don't. We don't host any torrent files and the only thing that happens with TV torrents is a standard C&D to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.