Carmakers forced to add wider seats for America?s spreading waistline

I also don't see that many obese people. What does constitute obese? I think Americans are just getting plain larger all around, because of better diets. Same holds true around the world.

When I watch Top Gear, the audience could be an American audience, insofar as size goes.

Me, I am terribly undersized; 174 cm tall, and I weigh 60 kilos. But, I can fit in every Japanese made vehicle. :)

Many times a BMI of 30 or greater is used, but the problem with BMI is it does not take into acount build, just height and weight. By BMI standards, Brian Urlacher is considered obese at 6'4" and 258 lbs (BMI of 31.4). Big, yeah, but not a fatass.

For those who aren't familiar with the NFL, this is Urlacher:
Urlacher.jpg

If you haven't seen properly fat people, come to Arkansas. Within five or ten minutes you're likely to find people who resemble value-sized tubs of lard. These morons who can't stop visiting McDonald's are the sort of people this targets.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that some people are so irresponsible for their own diets, that carmakers need to consider wider seats. I hope they're made optional, with a name that makes the person buying them feel as stupid as they are "fat bastard idiot McDonald's seat" option.

I'm actually rather thin myself, just over 6ft and 75kg. Most of which, proudly, isn't fat. :)

I'm just glad I'm 5'4" and 130lbs which means I can fit in anything from a Lotus Exige to a Miata to my high school lockers.

:wall: i like bench seats. :wall:

Get an impala SS with 2 big cloth couches in it and ride around with friends, its paradise.

Hell yeah, bench seats FTW!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkgXArxRxy8[/YOUTUBE]

Many times a BMI of 30 or greater is used, but the problem with BMI is it does not take into acount build, just height and weight. By BMI standards, Brian Urlacher is considered obese at 6'4" and 258 lbs (BMI of 31.4). Big, yeah, but not a fatass.

Bingo. I have very small bones, 6% body fat, and so reflects my frame. To illustrate how small boned I am, measure you wrist width, not circumference. I measure 2 1/4 inches.

It should be an option, and an expensive one at that. Why should we acomidate fat people. It's their fault, they should have to pay the $$ for it. not me. That's one of my problems with the public health care system in Canada (although that's a different argument)

I agree with many here, I hope those seats are optional. I'm short so it'd be rather awkward if the seats are bigger with more cushion.

But damn. If they have to start adjusting cars because Americans are getting fat, what's else will change? It kinda says to people, "It doesn't matter that your fat, the world will adjust to you. Don't bother losing weight to benefit your overall health, just buy things in a larger size as you too, grow larger."

THE POINT, DEAR NON-AMERICANS: This "most americans are fat" is just not the case. I dont care what you read on the internets, its starting to get insulting.

(i dont count the south as part of america)

I guess it depends where you live.. Here in NYC which is the healthiest city in the country I don't find that many outrageously fat people I don't see the point let's hope it's an option...

What next?

-bean-bag chairs in cars
-airlines that can only carry 12 people
-instead of cupholders, just have a giant bag of chaff strapped to their faces

This isn't just a US problem though. You see it in Australia as well.

Or even just seats that have adjustable bolsters, just like lumbar support, just be able to adjust them out or in to fit all people, it can't be that hard.

What we really need are seats with bolsters that custom-conform to your ass.
No, what we REALLY need are Tempur-Pedic seats:

TempurPedicPillow_large.jpg

Recommended by NASA! Conforms to every last butt pimple! Never slip out of your seat in hard corners again!

(This has been a paid message of BlaRo Industries, co-sponsored by Tempur-Pedic mattresses. BUY ONE NOW! That random actress who nobody's ever heard of was out on vacation.)

THE POINT, DEAR NON-AMERICANS: This "most americans are fat" is just not the case. I dont care what you read on the internets, its starting to get insulting.

(i dont count the south as part of america)

:blink: I've been around, nearly ever state on the east and in north(I'm from Maine), Mexico, The Netherlands, and all over Italy. I can tell you right now the friendliest people I've ever encountered are in Texas. The south is arguably the most important part of the country, for reasons too numerous to post here. The most sickening thing in this country is Americans who despise other Americans they have never met for either political or geographical reasons.

Last edited:
Most of the world's developed population is getting larger, not just the USA's. Most "first world" countries have a surplus of food so its not like anyone's really starving. At the same time, the population of that same collection of countries getting more sedentary and the food we're eating isn't as healthy as it used to be. Our medical system is also reducing conditions where people can't retain weight or stunt their growth.

I've read a couple of reviews that have said cars have gotten bigger (and, as a result, heavier) because everyone's getting larger. Targeting Americans is just a cheap shot. Its technically true, but misleading.

However I did visit a few cities on the west coast of the US almost a decade ago and, compared to Australia, you guys do have more widebodied people than we do per capita. One of my most vivid memories is being at a buffet somewhere in Vegas, and seeing some barge-ass who needed one seat per cheek holding a fork in each hand to shovel food from two plates down her face.

Seriously. Its a buffet, not a speed-eating contest.

You know, i hear these (25% of americans are obese) statistics all the time, but i dont see it around. I dont even know a single fat person. And i know a lot of people. You only see one of the superfatties like once a year.

I mean some (mostly older folks) are a little out of shape, but not like..... really fat.
I'm 6 foot (183CM, or however you zany euro's measure height), 160 pounds (like 11.5 stone). I dont think thats fat.

I call bullshit on this whole story.

I absoloutely agree with this. There are fat people all over the world. There are fat people in Europe for crying out loud.

I'm just glad I'm 5'4" and 130lbs which means I can fit in anything from a Lotus Exige to a Miata to my high school lockers.
Might I ask how you found that out...? :lol:

It should be an option, and an expensive one at that. Why should we acomidate fat people. It's their fault, they should have to pay the $$ for it. not me. That's one of my problems with the public health care system in Canada (although that's a different argument)
I completely agree with this, It's in most cases their own fault that they are so fat. In fact It's just like this on most airlines, if you are above a certain size (or rather wider than a certain width) then you have to book two seats.

My impression of the US and fat people is that they aren't generally much fatter than anyone else, but there are some ridiculous exceptions to that rule, and I saw more of those down in Texas than in New York City.

I'm 155 lbs and 6' 2"...