Pretty permalink URL thingies (SEO)

Pretty permalink URL thingies (SEO)

• Total voters
Well... the old direct to post link was: yaddayadda?post=xxxxxx#xxxxxx

Can't the software be hacked a bit to recognize section/thread/xxxxxx/ and change it to the old formatting, which correctly diverted you to the post? It's not like those kinds of links are used very frequently with spiders, so they wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Well... the old direct to post link was: yaddayadda?post=xxxxxx#xxxxxx

Can't the software be hacked a bit to recognize section/thread/xxxxxx/ and change it to the old formatting, which correctly diverted you to the post? It's not like those kinds of links are used very frequently with spiders, so they wouldn't make that much of a difference.

No need for the old formatting. There's already a URL structure for those old style links:

http://forums.finalgear.com/some-category/some-thread-name-1234/post56789/

When you visit that URL, it will redirect you to the right page:

http://forums.finalgear.com/some-category/some-thread-name-1234/page-45/#post56789

Hence my thread asking how to make that switch. However, it doesn't seem to be possible out of the box.

Modifying the thing to use the post-ID URL rather than the page URL isn't out of the question, but I'm hesitant to do so as the thing is rather complex (I wouldn't know where to begin) and the number of users affected is relatively small.

Well, not as much on this forum as I don't bug you logged in users with ads, but yeah, I'm happy I bought it. ^_^
Gotta pay the bills somehow. :)

I am going to be interested to see how vbseo integrates with vBulletin 3.7. They seem to be adding some of the vbseo features. The upgrade looks like it could be a server HOG though. Resource wise I am a bit concerned about all of the additions / social networking features / database stuff.

Last edited:
Been making further tweaks. Let me know if you encounter any rendering issues with the forums.

I'd prefer keeping things as they are, it is much easier for copy-paste action. The hover text is nice though.

Mod updated. It adds support for pretty URLs for things like groups, albums, etc. The upgrade fucked up the forums for an hour or so (database error), but it should be alright now.

Let me know if you encounter further problems.

I accidentally fucked up the settings and had to reset a lot of them. Let me know if anything's broken.

The "New Posts" link doesn't seem to be working. Or is it just me?

Not just you. Hold on.

Fixed as well (I think).

I had fucked up the vBSEO settings (1/2 of them got blanked out or defaulted) and the default rules I had copied back in were malformed. Just needed a little tweaking and it's all better now. :)

I made some rewrite rules for All Albums and gXboxLive so they use prettier folder-based URLs (i.e. the script is in a "folder" and the pages are /script/page-X/). Let me know if you encounter any problems (minus being able to add your Xbox Live ID via the dropdown in the upper-right).

Just did the FAQ and contact form as well.