Building a dream

Might I make a suggestion, this is your "dream" build so why not track down the Nissan VH IRL v8? You gotta admit it would be unique, and it's still built on at least some of the production v8 components.

I'd love to shove an oldsmobile IRL v8 into something, I just haven't decided what, and Falconer engines sells them with superchargers belting out 600hp for street use :thumbsup:

i can't do things like that. i realize it's a "dream" build but all my ideas are rooted in semi reality. otherwise i would be shoving GT500 motors with quaife sequential gearboxes in pretty much every large japanese sedan...

i do kinda want a twin turbo 2000 Q45 with maybe a better auto box and a stiffer suspension

i can't do things like that. i realize it's a "dream" build but all my ideas are rooted in semi reality. otherwise i would be shoving GT500 motors with quaife sequential gearboxes in pretty much every large japanese sedan...

i do kinda want a twin turbo 2000 Q45 with maybe a better auto box and a stiffer suspension

I see your point. Plus from what I've heard about these engines, they are so beefy that asking one with many stock components to scream is a matter of getting the airflow into the motor. Displacement + lots of revs + boost = frightening amount of power.

I'd love to build/buy one of these pups...

http://img160.imageshack.**/img160/2415/2002turboext1ul3.jpg

Final result something like this?

Stock Rims look a bit tacky to me.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/01/2002Photoshop1.jpg

My idea: BMW M3 GTR... DTM... GTP... Pro-Car... LMP... *insert type of racing car here*

First, take a current generation BMW M3...

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/01/2007M31.jpg

Then remove everything, and replace every body panel with carbon-fiber parts.

Replace frame with a Le Mans Prototype-style carbon fiber chassis, with appropriate modifications and ducting to the body to allow for the later upgrades, and complete with crash structures, and central driving position. To start the aerodynamics addons, add a front diffuser, and rear venturi tunnels...

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/01/toymkiiiRH4.jpg
Underside of a Toyota Eagle MkIII

Swap engine with a Judd GV5.5 S2 V10 (preferably), or an AER P32 T (bi-turbo V8) if the Judd can't be fit. Mid mounted, with appropriate cooling, and intake restrictors removed, exhaust routed out the back (AER) or side-exit (Judd). Replace transmission with whatever unit (Ricardo, Hewland, X-Trac) will fit, sequential manual, with tall, billet gearshift (a la GT1 car, Ascari A10)

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/01/juddgv5s21.jpg
Judd

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/01/AERLMP14.jpg
AER

Fit firewall between engine and driver, as well as a comprehensive roll cage. Squeeze fuel cell between engine and firewall, route fillers to the (lexan) windows. Replace drivers seat with racing bucket, and a five-point harness. Replace gauges with MoTeC dash logger, and mount the major adjustments and buttons on the custom steering wheel, as with an F1 car. Mount small air-conditioning system to help keep cabin temps reasonable, (with tweaks to the engine to recoup the power loss

Fit custom double-wishbone, inboard shock, torsion-bar suspension, all fully adjustable. Replace tires with LMP-spec slicks, with the body appropriately widened to accept the wider rubber. Fit LMP-type brakes, with appropriate cooling ducts, and F1-style cooling drums.

Fit DTM-car aero devices for greater downforce, with the chord of the rear wing increased to GT1 car levels for greater efficiency (aka, more downforce, in this case). Increase size of dive planes, if the need for them to help balance the aero load exists. Mount LMP-type front fender/diffuser exhaust vents just behind the front wheels, install louvers for greater downforce. Open a vent in the hood for the front radiator (if one is installed, plus a gurney flap on the leading edge of the vent to help with extraction) Carve notch out of the front splitter (elongated, and adjustable) to help prevent the underside being starved of airflow.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/01/BentleyBC12.jpg
Bentley Speed 8's method of front air extraction

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/01/005cpsowjencik.jpg
Duh...

Add enough ballast to even out weight distribution.

Try not to crash the thing first time out.

What can I say, I just love cost-no-object, just-for-the-hell-of-it projects...

Car: 1957 Chevy Bel Air

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/02/57BelAirLeftSide.jpg

Build type: Restomod.

I don't think this car needs any introduction. I'd go about this much the same way that Jay Leno did for his 1955 Buick Roadmaster. Give it all modern technology underneath, keep it stock on the outside. That being Corvette suspension front and rear, much fatter tires, 502 under the hood. The only changes to the outside I might make would be changing the fenders to accepct quad headlights like they were on the 58 Bel Air.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/02/58ChevroletBelAirImpalaSportCoupe.jpg

The interior would be all new, but look totally stock. The whole car is just too good looking to mess with.

alright, time for my love of 2 wheels to come out.....

2008 Harley-Davidson V-Rod Night Rod Special:
2007_Harley-Davidson_VRSCDX_Night_Rod_Special_right.jpg

type: custom/cruiser

first will be the removal of the rear fender, swing arm+rear tire/wheel and suspension.

then i would remove the 1130cc V-Twin, rebuild it, bore and stroke it to 1300cc and throw a Vance & Hines Supercharger on it to produce over 200hp.

then on would go a gigantic, 11" wide, Metzeler ME880 rear tire with an ME880 front tire with an extended 55mm fork that's been raked out 40-45 degrees (it might also take a 49mm fork [stock length] with a bit more rake than stock [36])

resulting look:
NLFrontend&Radiatorcoverstealth.jpg

Car: 1970 Buick GSX Stage 1
Yes I know I have a thing for black, white, and silver. I just think that combination looks great on any car if used right.
I almost bought an ex-drag car '70 GS 350 for my first vehicle. It was silver and straight as an arrow, and not a day goes by that I don't regret not buying it.

I love the engine, but BlaRo's brit twins on the other page are infinitely tastier. Not too many new bikes can match the simple, pure mechanical aesthetics of an old chopper. If that makes any sense :?.

Hmmm, new build, new build. Alcohol fueled new build :p.

I need a truck. And what better truck is there than the '67-'69 "Five Quarter" M715 Jeep Kaiser?
http://img204.imageshack.**/img204/8917/dsc06818rz4.jpg

-Stock running gear consists of locked, 5.87 gear, Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear axles; nothing to improve on there.
-Actually, I'd install rear lockouts, just in case of a broken rear axle.
-Aftermarket Atlas, or modified NP208 transfer case to allow RWD/FWD/4WD operation in High and Low speeds.
-The T98 4-speed manual trans stays (if possible).
-Quite frankly, I find the stock 130hp inline 6 lacking. A 472cid, 375hp/ZOMGlbft Cadillac V8 will replace it.
-A Warn 12,000lb winch (or maybe a hydraulic one, ran off of the PTO) would be in order. And if electric, rigged so that it could be quickly swapped front-to-rear.
-Custom built, removable hardtop.

Huh, I guess that didn't turn into too much of a build. Kind of hard to improve upon perfection. I'm a big fan of trucks that could be easily confused for farm machinery, so I can't find too much to change on this machine.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/02/02/245DL.jpg

My first car was a 1976 245 DL. I loved that old estate and wish I still had it. It was comfortable, had loads of room, lots of torque and was fun as hell to drive.

Full restoration
Repainted to be the factory orange that was offered in the 70s
Vinyl interior replaced with leather

sti-98-whiteleft.JPG

Build one of those make it a true sti since the US never got these other than with NA motors :(

Well I'm currently trying my best to restore my Cressida because I like it so much. So far the engine has got its much needed rebuild, the tranny doesn't seem to need any work oddly enough. The body however...sigh.

However I am thinking of getting another Cressida particularly a newer one than my own. Something like this one:
1991_TOYOTA_CRESSIDA_131000kms_4dr_Automatic_Air_Conditioning_Alloy_Wheels_All.jpg

The project will throw out the 7M-GE and the auto. Replace them with either a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE with the corresponding transmission 5-speed for the 1JZ and 6 for the 2JZ. The shocks would be replaced because Toyota OEM shocks are too soft. Basically its transforming a Cressida into a Chaser. This way I get the pleasure of Supra turbo power, already good handling thanks to the chassis and suspension and the practicality and anonymous styling of a 4-door Toyota.

You'd be surprised just how many Mustangs are running around out there with a Chevy under the hood, hell most Shelby clones use a GM small block.

Yeah, uh, no. I have never seen more than a small, small handful of Shelby clones with GM powerplants. I can also tell you that if you showed up to a classic car show around here with a GM-powered Shelby clone you'd be immediately laughed out of the show.

If you really want to do a Shelby clone, do it right. Anybody who's spent any time wrenching on a Shelby can spot a bad clone a mile away. A good, faithful clone shows that you respect the car but can't pay the astronomical prices for a real one. A bad clone shows that you're a tool that couldn't be bothered to do his homework. I would rather see a regular GT fastback restored to spec than turned into a half-assed clone.

/Solid thread, though!
//Got the AC evaporator coil for the GT500 last week.
///They sent me the wrong one.
////*expletive deleted*

I wouldn't give a shit what other people think, it would be my car and I'd do whatever the hell I want to it. Shelby clones are a dime a dozen, I want something that is more personal. That is the whole point of this thread, share your dream and to hell with anyone who thinks it's silly.

Shelby clones are a dime a dozen, I want something that is more personal.

Have you ever visited the Carbage thread? I'll bet the owners of those cars wanted something a bit more "personal" as well.

All I'm saying is that if you want a Shelby clone, build a Shelby clone. If you want a personalized Mustang, do a personalized Mustang but don't pretend it's a Shelby clone. Would you put GT-R badges on your Buick? Putting Shelby badging on a "personalized" Mustang is exactly the same thing.

I'd start of with this:

Lohen-Desktop2-800x600.jpg

1. Buy a BMW 135i
2. Install the drivetrain, engine, gearbox and suspension from the BMW into the Mini. I'd also get a Miltek cat back exhaust for good measure - awesome sound.
3. Buy a set of 17" OCZ SuperTurismo and get some semi-slick tires for them.

4. Pwn everything on the track.

I like the styling of the Shelby over the stock Mustang. What is wrong with that? And I never said I'd try and pass it off as a Shelby, I said it'd be a clone/restomod. It's all a matter of opinion.

EDIT: I don't like people who say "you can't do that, you should do this".

Last edited:
I'm saying that you should be tasteful. "SBC LOL!" isn't a good way to start. My stance comes from a lifetime of seeing half-assed restomods passed off as "clones" because the owners slapped on some Cobra badges and side scoops.

Edit: Also, I think you're unclear on what a clone is. A clone is a faithful reproduction of a car built to factory spec. A restomod is restoring a car and intentionally modifying it to non-factory spec. You can't really have both, once you deviate from factory spec you've ceased to build a clone and have created a restomod.

Last edited:
I am well aware what a clone and restomod is, and this is from a bit of both catagories. Hence clone/restomod. It's taking styling cues from the Shelby underpinned by Corvette technology. If I wanted to slap 22's under it and paint it purple and gold I'd do it. The fact that you think putting a GM engine under the hood is wrong gives me all the more reason to do it, there is no rule book saying what you can and can't do with a car.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one,

I am well aware what a clone and restomod is, and this is from a bit of both catagories.

Well, then you obviously don't know the difference, because they're mutually exclusive. Once you willfully deviate from factory spec, you are no longer cloning, you are modding or customizing.

Throwing a SBC under the hood and calling it a restomod/custom: Perfectly fine.

Throwing a SBC under the hood and calling it a clone: Wrong & inaccurate.

This isn't about whether it's "wrong" to put a GM engine under the hood. In fact, if you'll go back and review my posts, you'll see I never said it was "wrong," because I really don't care. Cross-manufacturer swaps are hardly a new idea. What's wrong is 1) claiming that lots of Shelby clones have GM engines, which they don't because they're not clones, and 2) calling a custom/modified car a clone.

I think it's a matter of perspective. I look at it like I'd have the original car and then make changes to it, think Eleanor in Gone in 60 Seconds. It was a GT500 that had been given custom bits by its owner.

Either way, I'm not going to keep arguing sematics with you.