what to look for when buying...

donkapone

an Audi A6 Avant (the C4 one)? Preferably 1995, but 1994 would do. Which engine is the best? I'm planning on spending ~3-3,5k euros on it and it is really a choice of 2.6 and 2.8 petrol engines. I'm also looking for a manual, because on my annual road trips to the mountains of some sort, an automatic, i believe, would not be that much fun. So, I'm eagerly waiting for some Audi experts to lurk along and answer my question :) Thank you very much ;)

why dont you try Audiworld forum? Thats where all the Audi experts chill.

why dont you try Audiworld forum? Thats where all the Audi experts chill.

Because most Car-specific forums are full of bastards who only want to cock wave about the fact that they have the optimum version of any specific car.

Because most Car-specific forums are full of bastards who only want to cock wave about the fact that they have the optimum version of any specific car.

True that, but also... thats where all the Audi experts gather, so naturally.... if i have a question on Audi cars, i'd want to post it under audi world forum.

Just make sure you dont mention the word "C63" or "M3" in front of the Audi boys :mrgreen:

Jesus.... where the hell are the forums that you're seeking counsel?

Just don't roll up as this guy and you should be fine.

http://img341.imageshack.**/img341/9091/user21811165580782xx0.jpg

I've been on Audiworld and everyone seems half decent.

The point of this post is useless, but here goes anyway.

I don't think there is a car in the world i know less about then a Audi A6, I'm not anti-audi or anything, it just seems so middle of the range and normal. May be a great car, but damn is it making me sleepy just thinking about it.

yeah, well it isn't all my choice, you know. It's a good car and I like it, but I sure as hell do NOT love it. Though for practical reasons and work, this is the best solution. When I'll be able to buy a car, just as a car for me, it will be a VW Corrado VR6 or Ford Granada Mark I or Alfa Romeo (almost all of them would do) or a Subaru or... the list goes on. But for now - Audi will be just fine.

The only thing I could sorta offer for you is make sure you get one with some power. The car is pretty heavy so anything below 250HP or so would be problematic. Not sure if you can find a manual one of those, however I suspect that would be a better solution as the auto may not match up well with the engine. Other than that I suggest you look for some reviews on the net.

You might also want to stay away from turbos, they do need rebuilding/replacing about every 80K and while they appear more economical they aren't. If you stay out of turbo range they are pretty good on gas but due to weight and the fact that engine doesn't make much power without turbo every time you overtake you will be spooling and burning about twice as much gas.

From what I know the 1.8T engine in the A4 needs a timing belt change at 60-65K as they are fairly vulnerable to timing belt failure around that time. I am not sure if that is the only engine with that issue or if it's a general Audi trend.

NOTE: As I drive an A4 I can only speak to what I experienced the A6 engines may be different.