"The battle to win the hearts and minds..."

Is there anyone on this board that fits the "Internet Tough Guy" meme more than this guy? :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll put it another way. I have read the books and my comments are consistent with what I have read. Not sure how telling you to read and gather information makes me a "tough guy"...........

If I posted a video of a terrorist bombing in Iraq would it get as many comments? It is an interesting question to be sure. Kinda make you question why people really care about.

Well, it is deplorable, but if you go through the entire history of warfare of any country this I suppose is nothing new, just now it is instantly documented for the world to see.

I recall broad judgements being made against a lot of groups when a few individuals cause some kind of trouble. How often are all muslims seen as terrorists? Just as an example.

So with that being said, I will keep an open mind. I'm sure the average soldier is just as (if not more) disgusted by some of these things as I am.

Can someone explain to me why I look at WWI and WWII vets as heroes, and the wars themselves as interesting, moving, and breathtaking....

But this war is just disgusting to me?

WW2, more than anything, was pretty much "the unholiest fucking disaster" to ever hit mankind (forgot who said that- not my words, but I agree with them). But WW2 was a war, from the US point of view, that was a war of defense (ie. the US didn't start it). So it was kind of necessary. And in time, it got glorified.

The Iraq war...not so much. And I'm pretty sure it'll still be a war reviled in the future, since it was a bit pointless.

If I posted a video of a terrorist bombing in Iraq would it get as many comments? It is an interesting question to be sure. Kinda make you question why people really care about.

Probably not, I'd wager many would just be "and you're surprised by this?"

One of the (many) problems I have with this incident is that this "war" is far more psychological than it really is physical. The only way to "win" and get the country to a point where it's safe (for us to leave) is for us to show that we aren't assholes who are just there because we got bored and decided to pick a fight with the weak kid.

Going around and killing puppies or teasing children with water because you are bored, angry, and "on the edge all the time", is not an excuse. Nor is it an excuse for any other bullying that some of these "people" have done. It just sends the message "we are conquerors, here to take your homes, land, and oil reserves." Not "we are here to help you get back your lives, and not change your way of life."

Also known as, "setting a good example" to throw off the shawl of hypocricy.