BERK IN A MERC

First off, I'll say that reporting this in a newspaper is really stupid, and I certainly don't think there should be laws against this (I tend to have a rather non regulist attitude about stuff though).

That said though, there have been psychological tests done (sorry, no refrences on this, but I do remember talking about it in Gen Psych classes) about cell phones and driving, and its pretty interesting how much they make a difference in attention paid. The compared it to many things like having passengers, setting the radio, etc and found that for some reason, talking to someone on the phone takes much more attention off the road then most other "multi-tasking" things you do while driving.

So its not so much that you don't have both hands on the wheel, and more that your brain typically focuses more on the talking part and less on the driving part. Its like the driving becomes the secondary task over talking on the phone. My own personal experience mirrors this as well, as I have many more close calls when talking on my cell then doing anything else (this coming from a guy who watches movies on long road trips). I do try to minimize time spent talking and generally tend to answer only to say I'll call them back. Legality aside, you really are putting yourself at higher risk of getting in an accident with this, so from a personal moral standpoint, its pretty clear that you should minimize it. Obviously its your personal choice and I'm never one to force anything on anyone, but it never hurts to give a viewpoint and let people make their own decisions based upon it.

Oh, and for some reason, they found hands free devices to be much less distracting then holding the handset. Something about it being more like talking to a passenger or the like. So if you really do need to talk on the phone extensively while driving, I recommend a blue tooth headset or earbud or something.

Additionally, Mythbusters did an episode on the premise that people say that talking on a cell phone is about as bad as drunk driving, and did a test on it. As I recall, it was pretty close to the same comparing driving just over the legal blood/alcohol limit and talking on a cell phone. Food for thought I suppose.

JH

Reading the article, the photo was taken by the drivers girlfriend, so it wasn't the driver that took the pic.

With the picture taken from the right-hand side of the car? So she must have been leaning over him while driving. The article also says he was travelling at 70MPH, so using a crappy cell phone camera resulted in a sharp picture at this speed? I don't think so. And then the couple overtook him, but if he was doing 70 then to get past you must be doing more than 70.

I'm not condoning what JC's apparently done, but these people seemed to have flouted more traffic laws than Clarkson in order to get their money.

How do you know "British people don't eat in their cars much"? What makes you think that?:? When I get my license I want to be able to have the ability to eat in my car without fear of losing my license.

Good, I hope you can do whatever you want in your car.

I made that comment because I've heard many Europeans criticize the US for massive cup holders and eating while driving which takes away from the purity of the experience. Guess that's not everyone. :)

I've eaten Mcdonalds in my car, today!

5819~American-Eagle-and-Flag-II-Posters.jpg

music_note.gif
Gooooooooooood bless ammmmmmmmericaaaaaa! Laaaaaaaaaaaand that i looooooooove!
music_note.gif

That's horrendously unsafe, as that food is likely to kill you shortly after consuming it.

If I think back, today in my car, I:

-Ate an banana and also a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich
-Drank a Vault and a Vitamin Water
-Fiddled with my Ipod
-Fiddled with my radar detector
-Fiddled with my cell phone charger
-Called my boss and the old bag on the cell phone
-Fiddled with the glove box to find my sunglasses
-Fiddled with the my sunglass pouch
-Put my sunglasses on without gouging my right eye out
-Fiddled with my work clipboard
-Chucked an apple core out the window
-Fiddled with my rear view mirror
-Fiddled with the volume, heater, and windows
-And gave two people the bird

Didn't crash, didn't cut anyone off, and the whole time I was doing ten over the speed limit 'sept when the radar detector was freaking out.

If I think back, today in my car, I:

-Fiddled with my Ipod
-Fiddled with my radar detector
-Fiddled with my cell phone charger
-Fiddled with the glove box to find my sunglasses
-Fiddled with the my sunglass pouch
-Fiddled with my work clipboard
-Fiddled with my rear view mirror
-Fiddled with the volume, heater, and windows

Didn't crash, didn't cut anyone off, and the whole time I was doing ten over the speed limit 'sept when the radar detector was freaking out.

Are they the only things you fiddled with *wink* *wink*...:lol:

Last edited:
^ Hey thanks I almost left that one out ;):wicked:

Jeremy Clarkson may be prosecuted for 'chatting on mobile while doing 70mph'

For years he has railed against the nanny-state but now it looks as though Jeremy Clarkson has been caught flouting the draconian motoring laws he so detests - and could face prosecution.

Police are examining a photograph apparently showing the Top Gear presenter talking on his mobile phone while driving at 70mph on the motorway in his gas-guzzling 6.3 litre Mercedes.

...Thames Valley Police said the photograph would be examined along with any other evidence.

"We are taking this matter very seriously and will be collecting all the available evidence to see whether there is a case to answer," a spokesman said.

The photograph would "now be examined by road safety officers as part of the investigation", he added.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=530330&in_page_id=1770

According to the BBC "Police probe Clarkson phone photo" so no prosecutions made, yet again proof the Daily Mail talk utter rubbish. I think its pathetic how this is an important story - it clearly isn't

Good point in the comments:
I am not a professional photographer but photos I have seen of moving vehicles have a blurred background, I cannot believe that a mobile phone could possibly take such a static picture. Where is his other hand I can't see it on the steering wheel - this car was not moving methinks.
I'm afraid no one realises they can't prosecute him: you can't see his face, nor his number plate. So who says it's JC? Just by this 1 photo you don't have proof it's him.
BTW: I also do think the pic was taken when stationary: no mobile phone has a shutter speed this fast (look at the road side trees)

According to the BBC "Police probe Clarkson phone photo" so no prosecutions made, yet again proof the Daily Mail talk utter rubbish. I think its pathetic how this is an important story - it clearly isn't
I don't even care, I oppose the law on principle.

5819~American-Eagle-and-Flag-II-Posters.jpg

music_note.gif
Gooooooooooood bless ammmmmmmmericaaaaaa! Laaaaaaaaaaaand that i looooooooove!
music_note.gif

America is a mixture of everything...that's what makes it so good. I know your being sarcy, but you should none the less spare a thought for all the thousands of people who lost their lives fighting for the independance of the republic that you now know and love.

America is a mixture of everything...that's what makes it so good. I know your being sarcy, but you should none the less spare a thought for all the thousands of people who lost their lives fighting for the independance of the republic that you now know and love.

578,831 according to This handy table. It doesn't make the country suck any less. I'm just saying that Mcdonalds iced coffee is gooood. :)

The only think that keeps me here is the thought that every country probably sucks just as much in its own way, so moving away would be a waste of time.

The thing that worries me about this whole thing is he was not wearing his high visibility jacket while doing something as dangerous as driving a car.