Real World: Prius worse MPG than BMW 520D

Speaking of the Prius I got passed by one today. :cry: I think the idiot did it out of pure spite just so I'd have to look at his earth-saving car as I drove along in my globe-warming land tank.

There's some guy here in Dallas with a black Prius that's not a tool. He's the only Prius driver I respect - every time I see him, he's got the thing balls to the wall in the fast lane doing about 20-30 over.

There's some guy here in Dallas with a black Prius that's not a tool. He's the only Prius driver I respect - every time I see him, he's got the thing balls to the wall in the fast lane doing about 20-30 over.

some people are forced to drive prius as a fleet car, i've heard of a couple of people flogging the absolute shit out of them :p

There is a small group of racers that work for Toyota who decided to take a prius racing. Their reasoning behind the vehicle choice was the massive amounts of torque available from 0rpm thanks to the electric motor.

I have no idea how well they have done with the project.

I agree, the hippy factor is a bit of a deterrent for a lot of people. You can't just buy a Prius without others thinking you are making some idiotic statement about the environment.
Didn't diesel have the same stigma a while back? Even TG still refer to it as Lucifer's fuel.

Clarkson calls it "The Devil's Fuel" because of the knocking and rattling you usually get from a diesel engine and the fact that most people who buy diesel cars are doing so for the sake of economy, not a passion for motoring.

On the way back from Chicago yesterday, I was passed by a Prius weaving in and out of traffic at 85-90. Although that was the exception, normally, they were barely doing the speed limit (65).

Last edited:
I passed a Prius yesterday who stoped at a green light to turn right then proceeded to drive at 24 mph in a 40(so I can't set my cruise.) I passed her, albeit illegally down a turn lane, then she starts flashing her brights at me after I passed. Doesn't she know that'll wear down her reserve battery power? Then who's green!

On the way back from Chicago yesterday, I was passed by a Prius weaving in and out of traffic at 85-90. Although that was the exception, normally, they were barely doing the speed limit (65).

Around here, normally they're doing 55 in a 65/70. Or slower. Which is really annoying, obviously.

Also, usually the driver obviously has their head turned to watch "the fuel economy video game" on the display.

It?s not generally rare at all, over here it?s probably the most common 5 Series Engine as Diesel outsells Petrol Cars in this "Buisness"-Car Segment easily ...

didnt know that... most of the diesel BMs in SA are either 530d or 525d

Buy a Prius and stick a M3 engine in it. You won't get taxed so much on it. Or get charged congestion charge.

Buy a Prius and stick a SBC engine in it. You won't get taxed so much on it. Or get charged congestion charge.

Fixed.:)

I really think that it comes down to where you are. If you have congestion charges it probably is a smart bet. Although I live in a sprawling county with snow and ice and slush with rwd cars in embankments (dumb drivers). On the weekends I go maybe 40plus miles one way to see friends and family (all highway) how would a hybrid help gas consumption on that, except the last 2 in the neighborhoods. I like to go up the Adirondacks as much as possible and have seen how yuppies in the prius get stuck on hills were natives drive 4x4 trucks at 60. My sister has three children and with all their shit their is no other way for them to drive but in a van. The prius seems really well suited to LA guess thats why Larry David drove them.

LOL, they just posted a link to this from the Yahoo! main page, and the comments are freaking retarded. Everyone is saying things like, OMG, it was mostly highway driving, blah blah, the Prius rocks, blah blah, BMW is more expensive.

They completely miss the point of the article, which is (at least this is what I thought it was) that there are diesel engines out there which can give hybrids a run for their money. The point is that, yes, the Prius has better fuel economy in the city than on the highway, and it's significantly cheaper than the BMW, but that there are more driver oriented cars like the BMW with reasonable performance that still get good mileage. I bet if you compared this car in a real world test to the Toyota Camry hybrid, the BMW would really kick ass. I thought the comparison was just to show how under certain conditions, the BMW could beat the "best" of the hybrids that everyone recognizes by name.

I saw a black prius on 75 yesterday. Nobody was going balls to the wall because of the torrential rainfall. I wonder if it was the same guy.

That's not a fair test, because a car which is being driven by Jason Dawe is equivalent to a car towing an International Scout.

CO2 emissions and MPG are the same thing really. Whenever you burn a litre petrol (or diesel) you emit a certain amount of CO2, the Prius can change the laws of physics and it is particularly bad at trying to do so. :D

CO2-production is almost proportional with power, not with mpg because diesel has more energy/litre than petrol. So the Prius doesn't change the laws of physics.

Even though the Prius gets worse mileage, the diesel probably still puts out more polutants. Now I don't like Priuses are all, but we need to look at the total exhaust emission to see which one's more "green".