Automatic Transmission Confusion

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Ok. As you all know, automatic transmission-equipped cars have the gear selection in this order: P R N D 2 1.

Obviously I know what P, R, N, and D stand for, but what about L1 and L2. I know what it does (1 won't let transmission to shift out of 1st gear, and 2 will only shift between the 1st and 2nd gears), but I don't know what they are used for. I read somewhere that they are for driving on snowy and icy road conditions.

Please give me some examples of where and how they're used.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Low gears in an auto are useful for limiting speed (going downhill), or when smoother torque application during acceleration is required (towing).

It used to be P-R-N-D-2-1 - which should help make a little more sense. The "general" standard these days is P-R-N-OD-D-3-2-1 or some variation thereof.

The L2/L1 thing is something your car's maker came up with.

Yeah, but most automatics don't use "L1" or "L2" to designate a low gear.

They might do P-R-N-D-2-L, for example, but not L1/L2.

I don't know where I got L1 and L2 from, but I just checked on my car and it's actually PRND3L.

Last edited:
In some car I drive (not listed to the left) it goes PRND2L.
L meaning low gear.

Also, history lesson time!
Once upon a time, cars had the PNDLR or thereabout layout.
This was discontinued for safety reasons, because you could quite easily shift into reverse or low gear.
I want to say Chrysler built a transmission in the current standard some time in the 60s, but I can't remember.

what they said : used for engine braking on steep downhill sections so you don't cook your brakes

Please give me some examples of where and how they're used.

You would use them in pretty much the same situations you would leave a manual transmission in a lower gear. It really is that simple.