1992 Camaro project - Halfway there

Mmmmmm, those look tasty!

Are you sure those calipers are aluminum? The way they rusted up makes them look like iron to me, as if they were aluminum it would probably look more like this,

LengineBeforeStrongArm.jpg

Either way, I'd hit them with some aluminum colored paint just to make sure.

Are you sure those calipers are aluminum? The way they rusted up makes them look like iron to me, as if they were aluminum it would probably look more like this,

LengineBeforeStrongArm.jpg

Either way, I'd hit them with some aluminum colored paint just to make sure.

I'm 100 percent positive it's aluminum. That wasn't rust. Those brackets on it were iron, and they were rusty. But the aluminum was just covered in brake dust.

re100_6453.jpg

The flash here kind of sees through the dust and you can tell the caliper is aluminum, but that bracket on it is iron. The BRACKET is rusty, the caliper is just dusty. ;)

PBR4.jpg

You can see here how the clean iron bracket is a different shade than the aluminum caliper is.

nice. what heads are those ?

They're another set of Vortecs. They're not as nice as what I had, though. :cry:

Last edited:
Ok, from the pictures you posted it looked like they were indeed covered with rust. Must have been the lighting. And are the new heads from the guy who sold you that last defective set or did you go to another source?

Ok, from the pictures you posted it looked like they were indeed covered with rust. Must have been the lighting. And are the new heads from the guy who sold you that last defective set or did you go to another source?

That guy and his friend haven't been in touch for about a month and a half. :rolleyes:

I got the heads from my machine shop.

They're another set of Vortecs. They're not as nice as what I had, though. :cry:

stock vortec heads are still a great set of heads. but tougher to port thanks to being made out of cast iron. but real good never the less. screw in studs and the like too ?

and your calipers do look like there aluminum. just see if a magnet sticks to them

They're aluminum. The PBR Australian calipers are aluminum calipers. They used iron Saginaw calipers from 82-88, and then from 89 to 97 they used the same aluminum PBR Calipers in all disc rear brake camaros and firebirds. Your LT1 cars probably have the exact same ones. Just to satiate your desire, I went and put a magnet up to it and it didnt care. It loved the iron bracket on it, though.

And the Vortecs are okay... I was just hoping for a little more than your average Vortecs since that's what I originally started with.

But it'll be plenty for what I need to do.

Are you going to atleast port match them, or was that done already?

Are you going to atleast port match them, or was that done already?

I dont have the equipment to port match anything. :(

I'm just wanting to get it running right now. I've been waiting way too long to get this fucker running and after all I've been through with it, that's all I really want right now.

100_6515.jpg

Screw in studs and guideplates. But like i said, these just aren't quite as nice. A little dirtier, a little rustier, no ported exh ports. The exh valves are 1.60 (carried over form my other heads) but I kept the 1.94 intake valve. To fit hte 1.60 exh valve in place of the 1.50" stock valve, they had to open up the exh port a little, but they didnt really smooth out the transition, but I didnt pay them for a port job, you know?

So Ican definitely see these coming back off in a year or so when I have the equipment to do a proper porting job with air powered die grinder. I'll probably swap to a solid cam then too.

exhport.jpg

See the shiny part where you can still see the lapping compound in there? Thats where they did the valve job for the mega huge valve. The rest of the port is still the same size.

Not sure if that's going to really do me any real good to have that fat valve in there with the stock size exhaust port, but at least I already had it. Fucking $500 set of 8 exhaust valves. Ugh...

For the $600 I have in the new heads, and the $500 in the old heads, I could have bought myself a VERY, VERY nice set of aluminum AFR 180's or Trickflow Street heads. :(

Last edited:
maaaaaaan, i miss my '92 :love: (r.i.p.). i'll buy another someday. i'll also read through this thread someday, and offer a post of some value.:mrgreen:

I could have bought myself a VERY, VERY nice set of aluminum AFR 180's or Trickflow Street heads. :(

kinda makes you wish you went back in time and said "fuck it im going to blow $1300 on heads" and of gotten the E-tec's or something like that. and you woulda had no worries. to bad lifes a bitch :\ gl on getting her running again

oh snap its got heads! ill keep my fingers crossed for you that no water gets inside. keep it clean and quadruple check everything!

Oh shit guys Im exhausted.

This is what I got done today:

asitstands.jpg

Lifter1.jpg

Lifter2.jpg

I dont like the wear pattern on these two lifters at all, but I put some break in lube on them so it should be fine.... I hope.

rockerson.jpg

Looks good eh?

I've got SO much left to do...

Lots of bad luck...

One of the intake bolts broke. I'm about to decide that it just doesnt matter that much and I should be fine... but it's risky. It's a game you dont want to play with coolant getting into the oil and down into the lifter valley...

Here I am installing a spark plug:
l_acdead68ff3de12efaf27dc9fa4046b2.jpg

Me and my buddy:
l_1483741ecbee896c6d79966067571921.jpg

l_0787cc57752e930e0cabdcb9b2be0e9a.jpg

l_3a4f5d62c6e10e057b70a34b528a23fe.jpg

IT's pretty close to being done. It's about 20 minutes of work away from firing, really. But that's assuming I dont pull the intake to see what I can do about that missing bolt, the wiring is correct, and the carburetor works fine now. It had issues before. I tried to clean it out with some carb cleaner but htat's some nasty stuff... hopefully it worked. If it doesnt I'll have to dip it and let it sit a couple of days.

boltpop2.jpg

If the gasket doesnt seal then that means I'll have water in my oil which means I'll need at least new lifters probably, assuming it doesnt take some bearings and the cam out with it.

Last edited:
Me and my buddy:
l_1483741ecbee896c6d79966067571921.jpg

[youtube=huLklsj_5HI]:D No offense[/youtube]

On the subject of a real response: The thing you need to tell yourself about risky engine operations is, if i fuck this part up and destroy it, its time for heads and cams/383/409. Makes the whole thing less stressful.

Last edited:
Wow, dude you're as white as a ghost. :D