So you threw a CD into the trash? Sony will sue you. Srsly.

D

D-Fence

After

The Crime of Selling Abandoned Copies

The Crime of Selling Abandoned Copies

If you came across a trash can filled with lawfully made compact discs and DVDs that the copyright owner had authorized to be put in that trash can and then thrown away because it didn?t want to pay the postage to have them returned, do you think you could be criminally prosecuted for selling those copies, and would you think that the copyright owners would be entitled to restitution under the Mandatory Victims Restitution Act? If you answered no to these questions, you would be wrong according to the Eighth Circuit.

Here?s the opinion, United States v. Chalupnik, 2008 WL 268997 (8th Cir. Feb. 1, 2008), court?s docket no. 07-1355, available on the court of appeals? website, here (search for Chalupnik).

The facts are pretty much these (at least as recited in the opinion): defendant was an employee for the U.S. Postal Service. BMG Columbia House is a mail order operation selling CDs and DVDs by mail. Many of these discs are undeliverable. Rather than pay the postage to have them returned to it, BMG Columbia House instructed the Postal Service to throw them away. The Postal Service did throw them away. Defendant then retrieved them from the trash and sold them to area stores, netting $78,818. A surveillance camera showed defendant retrieving the items and he was arrested; he was originally charged with felony mail theft, but then pleaded guilty to misdemeanor copyright infringement. The trial court sentenced defendant to two years probation and ordered him to pay $78,818 to BMG in restitution. Chalupnik appealed .

The district court?s theory was ?I do believe that there is in fact a lost opportunity to ... BMG, that the people that bought those CD's ... would likely have bought new CD's, and that that represents a real and substantial loss to ... BMG in the amount of $78,818.? The government argued that ?BMG is a victim because it owns the discs, sells them with permission of the copyright owners, and controls the disposition of undeliverable discs; that each time Chalupnik sold an undeliverable disc, the artist lost a royalty and BMG lost a potential sale; and that the amount of those losses is conservatively estimated by Chalupnik's gross revenues, $78,818.

The court of appeals agreed that BMG Columbia House was a victim within the meaning of the MVRA, but held that no loss had been established:

t is clear that the government proved no actual loss to BMG. The PSR recommended, and the district court agreed, that BMG suffered a ?lost opportunity? when Chalupnik stole BMG's undeliverable discs and sold them to competing retail sellers. The ? lost opportunity rationale is valid in the sense that all authorized retailers of the copyrighted discs-Wal-Mart, Best Buy, iTunes, BMG, and countless others-as well as the copyright owners, suffered collective financial injury when infringer Chalupnik sold purloined discs at cut-rate prices to used record stores. But it would be a windfall to award BMG this entire collective ?injury to the market.? And the large number of victims and the difficulty of determining each victim's actual loss make the collective injury inappropriate for MVRA restitution.

The government argues that the price at which Chalupnik sold the stolen discs is a reasonable, indeed conservative estimate of BMG's lost sales. One problem with this argument is that, for goods held by a merchant for sale, lost profits rather than lost sales revenues are the proper measure of ?actual loss.? A more fundamental problem is that proof of lost sales, like proof of lost profits, may not be ?based entirely upon speculation.? ? Here, the letter from BMG's senior counsel asserted that Chalupnik sold discs to used record stores whose customers ?theoretically could have purchased them [from BMG], resulting in lost sales to BMG.? But BMG's practice of destroying rather than restocking undeliverable discs meant that the discs Chalupnik stole would not have been sold by BMG, and there is no evidence that Chalupnik's sales diverted specific business from BMG. From this standpoint, BMG's position resembles that of the purported MVRA victims whose restitution awards were reversed because the government failed to prove actual loss through lost sales in Hudson, 483 F.3d at 710-11, where counterfeit Microsoft software was turned over to the government by the infringing defendant's customer before any payment to the infringer, and in United States v. Adams, 19 Fed.Appx. 33, 35 (4th Cir.2001) (unpublished), where pirated videocassettes were confiscated before the infringer could sell them.

Finally, the government argues that BMG should receive restitution on behalf of the unidentified copyright owners who would have been paid royalties had BMG sold the purloined discs. This argument is without merit because restitution to each victim is limited to ?the full amount of each victim's losses.? 18 U.S.C. ? 3664(f)(1)(A). The letter from BMG's senior counsel admitted that Chalupnik's criminal conduct ?resulted in no royalty payments being made [by BMG] to the artists, record labels, music publishers, and movie studios,? so there was no proof of actual loss to BMG arising out of its unproven relationships with copyright owners.

Among the many things I find amazing in this whole debacle is the assumption that there could be copyright infringement. The copies had been thrown away at the direction of the BMG Columbia House (which may or may not have also been the copyright owner). I would think that means any ownership in the copies had been abandoned and that therefore anyone was free to do with them what they wanted. If instead of the postal worker having taken them out of the trash, what if the trash dump owner had discovered them and sold them?

via http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2008/02/crime-of-selling-abandoned-copies.html

Sony is now going insane (again)

Music Label's Copyright Argument is Rubbish

By David Kravets EmailApril 11, 2008 | 3:24:55 PMCategories: Copyrights and Patents

Tossing it like a Frisbee is OK. The kids, cat and dog scratching the hell out of it is just fine.

But throwing away that CD is copyright infringement.

According to UMG Recordings, that's true insofar as the label's promotional CDs are concerned: those thousands of unaccounted for discs the label mails out each year to reviewers, radio stations and others.

The record label says throwing away such CDs is a no-no because it claims it has an eternal right of ownership to them.

The label's attorney taking that position is Russell Frackman, and he's no stranger to copyright law. Frackman was one of the lead lawyers who brought down Napster.

Threat Level called him Friday at his Los Angeles office, and got "No reply." (Taking Frackman's argument to its logical conclusion, Threat Level just opened itself up to a lawsuit for writing the name of a Beatles' song without permission. And deleting this post from your RSS inbox might also get you hauled into court.)

Frackman made the "throwing away" argument in a court filing this week in a federal lawsuit against a California man accused of copyright violations for selling UMG's promotional labels on eBay and elsewhere.

The label claims Troy Augusto has no right to profit from the CDs because they are labeled as promotional materials not for resale. Frackman claims that, for the defendant to have the right to sell the CDs, he must "show the existence of a first sale for that particular UMG promo CD."

That, according to the label, means Augusto "must trace the chain of title of each specific copy of the UMG promo CDs he auctioned to the original alleged transfer of ownership."

What the label is saying is that, for Augusto to claim a defense that he has a right to sell the CDs, he must demonstrate how he obtained the discs by providing "the requisite proof of a first sale." UMG says he could not have obtained them legitimately because the promotional material is not for sale.

Augusto had testified that if a CD he was auctioning didn't sell, he would give it away or throw it into the garbage. "Both are unauthorized distributions," Frackman wrote in a court brief.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is defending the accused pirate.

"According to the first sale doctrine, once a copyright owner has parted with ownership of a CD, book, or DVD, whether by sale, gift, or other disposition, they may not control further dispositions of that particular copy (including throwing it away)," EFF attorney Fred von Lohmann wrote on his blog. "It's thanks to the first sale doctrine that libraries can lend books, video rental stores can rent DVDs, and you can give a CD to a friend for their birthday. It's also the reason you can throw away any CD that you own."

A hearing is set for May 5 in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

Via http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/music-labels-co.html

I agree with the decision. He had no right to get those discs and sell them. It's no different really to selling pirated copies as Sony is not getting the money from the sales.

Edited as I didn't notice the second article.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but once something is in the trash it's fair game. Police have to have a warrant to search though a person's own trash can, but if it's in a public dumpster, or once the contents go into a truck or other "communal" receptacle the police can search all they want without a warrant.

How could they even charge him with felony mail theft? BMG gave permission for them to be thrown away, not mailed to the dump. Once they did that the parcels are no longer protected under federal statute.

I would have fought it.

What if it had been something other than CDs? What if he wasn't a postal employee, but just some guy who found them in the dumpster? What if he was actually the garbage man?

Sony is the victim of their own cheapness. If they were so concerned about controlling their products they would have paid to ship them back or had them turned over to a shredding company or other secure document disposal service. Sony already stated that the CDs are so cheap that they are not worth the cost to ship back, and the information is not sensitive enough to properly destroy. That's not the fault of the guy who took them, as far as he knew they were just garbage - I would have thought the same thing. So Sony has demonstrated how little they care about these discs or the information they contain, yet they are going to sue a low-level government employee for more than a year's wages? How is that fair at all? If they, through their own negligence, dropped it on the sidewalk and someone picked it up would they be liable for picking up a bit of trash on the ground? According to Sony that entitles them to some kind of compensation - all because of their negligence. Next there will be Sony lawyers traveling in packs and extorting money if you happen to hum a few bars of a song, and Eris help anyone who might over hear you do it.

As for the second story: Sony said in the first article that they throw away CDs by the box-load when they see fit but I can't drop their crap albums in the trash or risk being sued? What next, I have to buy the album or be sued? How about we just cut straight to the case and go for strong-arm robbery.

Last edited:
Selling someone else's copyrighted material without their permission is illegal regardless of how you acquired it. Throwing away someone else's copyrighted material that they have given to you is legal.

that's just lame. Garbage = garbage, ie the owner doesn't want it anymore. Whoever takes it can have it, IMO.

So Sony has demonstrated how little they care about these discs or the information they contain, yet they are going to sue a low-level government employee for more than a year's wages?
It's bullshit. That's probably 3 or more times what the guy makes a year, if he's just some low-level guy working in a distribution center. If I were him I would've done the same thing, it's logical. They said to throw them away, if they wanted them destroyed or sold they should've taken them back. I can't believe he made 78 grand off it though :?. What time span did this happen over?

that's just lame. Garbage = garbage, ie the owner doesn't want it anymore. Whoever takes it can have it, IMO.

Except the products in this case aren't the physical discs, but the songs contained on those discs, which were being sold by the postal worker without permission. It's like selling burned CD-Rs: you may have obtained the physical media fair and square, but that doesn't make what you do any less wrong.

Still, Sony was being stupid asking them to be thrown away rather than sent back or destroyed. Something like this was bound to happen.

While that's true, Sony did just throw away the disks even when they knew what information they contained. To me, that means that they forfeit their right to control those copies of that information. They turned control of the property over to the post office who turned it over to garbage disposal. Neither had any obligation to Sony to protect it's interests.

We have bulk trash days here once a month when the city comes by and picks up unwanted furniture, TVs, toilets, pretty much whatever. My family has thrown lots of stuff away like this and more often than not some random person in a pickup truck comes by and grabs it for themselves. Heck I even got a sweet inflatable raft the same way. Since Sony can sue someone for grabbing discarded CDs, does that mean I can turn around and sue the guy who took our old couch? The case would be laughed out of court if I tried that yet it's okay for a big company to do it?

I was once told that taking stuff from bulk trash is basically theft (in Germany) since the stuff still belongs to the original owner and you don't have permission to take it. Don't think many people were ever convicted for it, though.

This isn't the same as normal trash here. This is almost exactly like what happens with magazines.

When a store has left over magazines at the end of the month, rather then trying to sell old copies or having to eat the cost, they tear off the covers and mail them back to the publisher for credit back. The rest of the magazines are thrown away, this is all for the reason of to save on shipping.

Now to take those trashed copies and try to sell them, would be illegal because those are no longer paid for copies. It would be the same as if you copied the magazine and sold it. I believe this system may also be in place with some books, which is why you see notes in books that if you got it without a cover to report it.

If you just took the magazines and read them, I don't think anyone would press charges, same as if you read it in the store. Not 100% legal, but nothing people are going to care about. When you try to sell them though, well I think you can see why that changes everything.

This isn't the same as normal trash here. This is almost exactly like what happens with magazines.

When a store has left over magazines at the end of the month, rather then trying to sell old copies or having to eat the cost, they tear off the covers and mail them back to the publisher for credit back. The rest of the magazines are thrown away, this is all for the reason of to save on shipping.

"If you purchased this book without a cover you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was reported as 'unsold and destroyed' to the publisher and neither the author nor the publisher has received any payment for this 'stripped book.'"

Selling someone else's copyrighted material without their permission is illegal regardless of how you acquired it. Throwing away someone else's copyrighted material that they have given to you is legal.
Yeah, I have to agree here.

I understand your point, smib, but these are the same people who wanted a cut of every used album sale. Those are records for which the label was already paid.

Screw 'em.

I agree; the recording industry is so fucked up in terms of how they're trying to pull in cash through lawsuits. They're the epitome of hyper-litigation.

As for mail theft, the details weren't given but I imagine the CDs were addressed mail items and if the guy took those pieces of mail off the premises or opened them and took the contents out while still on the premises then he is guilty of mail theft whether Sony wanted them thrown out or not.

I've worked at a supermarket before and it was policy that all out of code stock be destroyed when discarded (ie smash jars) and the bins had to be locked at all times because staff could later retrieve discarded goods and people would scavenge in the bins and there was possibility that the supermarket could be liable if someone were to become sick or what have you. Sometimes rubbish is not what it seems.

The article said that he took them out of the trash - at that point they are no longer mail because the owner has directed them to be tossed out.

It's simple, either Sony pays to get the CDs back to them and properly destroys them (or stores them or whatever) or they just dump em in the streets and then it's fair game to anyone who finds them.

Just pick one, Sony

The article said that he took them out of the trash - at that point they are no longer mail because the owner has directed them to be tossed out.

A lot of times when this type of story is reported the details (which are critical to the case) are omitted, glossed over or incorrectly reported (lady sues McDonalds after spilling hot coffee on lap for example) because truth should never get in the way of a good story.

Let's assume they were physically thrown into a bin of some sort, was it kept on private property? Was it locked? How did the guy get access to the CD's in the rubbish? Was he on-duty at the time? I know these seem like minor details, but the post office agreed to dispose of the CD's when, in effect, they didn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once something is in the trash it's fair game. Police have to have a warrant to search though a person's own trash can, but if it's in a public dumpster, or once the contents go into a truck or other "communal" receptacle the police can search all they want without a warrant.

They turned control of the property over to the post office who turned it over to garbage disposal. Neither had any obligation to Sony to protect it's interests.

It doesn't say the discs were collected and I think its safe to assume they weren't. So its possible that, in a legal sense, the discs were taken from post office private property by an employee and never were disposed of they agreed to do.

Not to mention that we're talking about nearly $80,000 worth of CDs, sold at lower than normal wholesale price. Thats a hell of a lot of CDs, at $5 a pop its over 15,000.

Sony fucked up and should have had them sent back and properly destroyed. It just shows how cheap they must be to produce and how much they make off them.