SATA HDD Problem in Vista

MadCow809

Forum Addict
Just bought a new 320gb HDD for my sister. And its giving me a huge problem....

I did the intial format under Vista(disk management), that went fine, drive was formatted nicely without any glitch. I then ran HD Tune and got some descent result for the hdd, 150mb/s or so of transfer rate and everything seems to be perfectly normal. Tried copied some movies across and it went very smoothly like how a SATA 3.0gb hdd should be. Checked with seatool (official seagate hdd testing util) and everything was fine, no physical problem with the hard drive.

Plugged the hdd in my sister's pc, both the bios and vista detected the hdd (picked up as drive f:\ ), Vista installed it without any hassle, but the transfer rate is slow, and i mean like 40kb/s ~ 100kb/s slow. But when I ran HD tune from my sister's pc, the drive still got over 128mb/s transfer rate from HD tune result, I checked the UMA mode and its enabled, ran a quick error check and the drive seems to be fine. Then i suspect it might be Vista acting weird so I tried to copy a video file from the master drive (120gb) c:\ to c:\new and the transfer rate was descent, took less than 15sec to copy a 150mb file. WTF is goin on?? Its just this new drive thats slow, every other drive in still fine.

What could be the problem??? The drive was 100% fine in my pc, 100% fine under all HDD tests, but just not working when in my sister's machine, at least not when I try and copy files across.

quick summary :

- Jumper was removed for SATA 3.0gb/s
- HD tune shows the drive is normal under performance test and error check.
- HDD passed all the test under SeaTool (Seagate HDD testing program)
- HDD works 100% when its in my pc (both test and file copying)
- HDD can be picked up by the BIOS and OS on both machines

problem :

- HDD doesnt copy stuff at a normal rate when its in my sister's pc (40kb/s ~ 100kb/s)

Last edited:
Problem fixed.

Everything is working now.

Switched the SATA port with the DVD-RW and it all worked.

shouldn't have that problem though, not with SATA AFAIK, but hey.. it fixed the problem, seems like that certain port doesnt like HDDs, only wants to take optical device(burner) for some reason.