So I am starting a new website to defeat my pet peeve...

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
Ok, I have a HUGE problem with people flying flags that or torn, tattered, or just not flown proudly. In fact, I stop and make it known to the management of businesses as often as I can, and I have even knocked on private residence doors and asked them simply to take some pride in the flag if they want to fly it, and fly one that is presentable.

I know I am not the only one out there who is annoyed by this, so I am starting a website to get all of these people together. Heck, this could be an international effort if those of you outside the USA feel the same about your nation's flag as I do about ours.

I just bought the domain a few minutes ago, so nothing is up yet... I just figured I would throw the idea out there to you guys and see if there was some support for the idea. I wanted to get the domain flywithpride.com, but it is registered to a travel agent, so I bought flagbrigade.com and flagbrigade.us, but as I said nothing is there yet... give me a week or so.

Last edited:
Ill put up a worn to shit flag up so you have a FG member to bitch at. pics in a day or 2

We did this in scouts. We would offer cheap flags for sale and offer to retire the old flag in a ceremony we held annually. Almost always the folks would go for the nice $5 synthetic flag especially knowing the old one would be retired as it should be. Some didn't even realize they needed to be retired, or were reluctant to have them burned, thinking it was unpatriotic.

I think it would be better if you also offered a solution to the problem in your website.

I think it would be better if you also offered a solution to the problem in your website.

I intend to, working that out right now... I know most VFW posts will do it for you, but I have not spoken to my local VFW lodge yet.

Ill put up a worn to shit flag up so you have a FG member to bitch at. pics in a day or 2

Or you could just have a teensy bit of pride, do the right thing, and get a good looking flag up instead.... sheesh...

I know I am not the only one out there who is annoyed by this, so I am starting a website to get all of these people together. Heck, this could be an international effort if those of you outside the USA feel the same about your nation's flag as I do about ours.

We don't really do the hole flag waving thing in the UK atleast and whenever someone is doing some flag waving there typically from the BNP and are shouting racist bullshit.

I don't really like Nationalism, I think it can cause people to have a different view of there country and not want to criticize the culture or goverment out of fear of been unpatriotic, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: OK well there is sometimes a bit of flag waving such as The Last Night of The Proms and for the Queen Golden Jubilee, and football but that's about it really.

Last edited:
We don't really do the hole flag waving thing in the UK atleast and whenever someone is doing some flag waving there typically from the BNP and are shouting racist bullshit.

I agree with this, really. Although the BNP and co tend to pervert either the English flag or the UK one.

Anyways, I would proudly fly the Scottish Saltire on special occasions - international football matches or St Andrew's Day - but I wouldn't fly a flag every day of the year.

And yes, in Scouts flag-flying was a big part. We'd get taught proper care of it, salute the flag as it was raised at the start of every meeting, learn to fold and treat them properly, and so on and so forth...

I don't really like Nationalism, I think it can cause people to have a different view of there country and not want to criticize the culture or Government out of fear of been unpatriotic, but that's just my opinion.

Well, to me flying the flag is done out of respect for all of those who came before me and sacrificed their lives, and also in respect of all of those people who did their part to forge our history and our "culture", but I am sure lots of people fly it for all kinds of weird and flypossibly misguided reasons. I am in the Army, and I have been shot at by "bad guys" of all types, so I guess I have a bit of a different viewpoint.

I am not saying anything about my Government or it's policies... I just think that is you choose to fly the flag it is something you should have pride in.... period!

Im Brasilian :mrgreen:

and no Im not putting any flag up, I was jk

LOL... ok you got me...

the boys over on Audiworld kind of freaked out... some of them even called me a douche!

whatever...

Don't watch Deadliest Catch then, as the Time Bandit's flag will make you have a stroke.

I like your idea. Too many people don't know squat about our nation's flag or how to take care of it. I, too, learned what I know from Scouts (and my father).

I just checked godaddy and "flywithpride.org" is available. I'd go with that.

I'm glad we don't feature patriotism over here!

Ok, I have a HUGE problem with people flying flags that or torn, tattered, or just not flown proudly. In fact, I stop and make it known to the management of businesses as often as I can, and I have even knocked on private residence doors and asked them simply to take some pride in the flag if they want to fly it, and fly one that is presentable.

Boy, we both think alike on this issue. I encourage people to take their tattered and worn flag to the local VFW or in my town, the fire department.

And it isn't jingoistic nationalism, it is taking pride in your country. What is wrong with that?

Great idea, Scott.

The only time I?ve ever "flown a flag" was the one I had on my car for the entire duration of the world cup 2006. I have to say it felt nice. In Germany we still seem to have some complexes about the fucked up shit that happened 3 generations ago (which I don?t really feel compelled to feel any sort of guilt about), and it seems you can?t put a flag up without being associated with some form of right-wing politics.

I think there is nothing fundamentally wrong with being proud of your country, and I?ve always been a bit jealous of the easygoing attitude that many other nations have about showing this. I also think the american flag looks quite badass, it just looks pretty, no matter what you want to associate with it.

On the other hand, no offense, I hate it when people get all anal about these things. I grew up living in several different countries, and when I got shit from my teachers for not knowing the Mexican national anthem by heart, or (apparently) not paying proper respect to the star spangled banner, this really (and I mean really) pissed me off. I?m german, and if I?m gonna be patriotic (which I?m not) it?s gonna be for my own country, and not someone elses. I?lll respect the countries where I?ve lived or am currently living, no doubt, but don?t expect me to worship them as if they were my own.

You sound like a huge bore, i don't know how i'd react if you knocked on my door and told me what to do..
I definitely have to agree, I mean if it?s some boy scouts going around offering people to fix them up with a nice new flag then that?s great, but come on, you actually go up to people to let them know that their flag flying method is not up to your standards??? Backflashes of Germany in the early 40ies anyone??? A flag?s a flag, and the specimens that have been flown with more pride than any others before have probably been the ones sporting some heavy burns, bulletholes, and perhaps even a good share of ocean water.