Clarkson: Jeremy Mentions That he Sold his Gallardo in his New Article

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Oh.. and it's about the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X FQ-360 GSR.

Having my photograph taken has always been like having extensive root-canal work done on my soul. I hate it with an unbridled passion. A photograph of me serves as a permanent reminder of the simple fact that I am just a stomach and a very large chin with a small piece of wire wool growing out of the top.

Unfortunately these days everyone has a camera phone, so everyone has become an amateur paparazzo. And that means I have my photograph taken about four hundred million times a day.

I understand why, of course. If you could get a snap of Cliff Richard mowing his lawn, then ? ker-ching! ? I bet it?d be worth a grand. If you could get a Formula One boss having his hair checked for lice by a girl dressed up as a Belsen inmate, you might even be able to afford a new car.

Of course there are drawbacks. First of all you have to have the morals of a woodlouse, and second you might drive your prey to crash into a tunnel. But that doesn?t seem to be stopping anyone.
Background

Just recently I was snapped by a member of the public while driving along the M40. He claimed the snap showed I was using my mobile. My phone records prove that I wasn?t but, no matter, he sold the picture to the Mirror. It ran it on the front page and as a result the young man probably earned enough to buy himself and his girlfriend a slap-up meal at the local Harvester.

On holiday this year someone took a picture of me going snorkelling. And because it showed a chin and a stomach in a face mask the Mirror bought this one too, paying the lensman enough for him to buy himself a jolly nice pi?a colada.

Now it?s open season. Some kid took a picture of me while I was asleep, and when I told him to eff off his dad went immediately, you?ve guessed it, to the Mirror. It?s got to the point where my wife never actually bothers to ring and ask where I am. She just looks in the redtops.

I?m thinking of cashing in myself; maybe I?ll sell them a picture of me checking my prostate.

It?s at its worst, though, when I?m imprisoned by a flash and noticeable car. Recently I drove my Lamborghini from Guildford to Chipping Norton. It?s about 90 miles and I had my picture taken 107 times. I counted. This meant I couldn?t use the phone or pick my nose or break the speed limit or sing along to the radio or even, on the straight bits, catch forty winks. It was so wearisome that when I got home I sold the car.

And I can assure you that I most definitely will not replace it with a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X FQ-360. Because, I swear to God, you couldn?t get more attention even if you were Jade Goody and you stood on a bridge over the M1 motorway and had full sex with a cow.

Now if you?re looking at the picture above, wondering why such a vulgar little thing could possibly cause anyone to look twice, then you know nothing about cars and frankly you?d be better off reading about something else.

If on the other hand you do know about cars, then you will also not be very interested to hear what the Evo is like. Because when it comes to four-wheel-drive turbo cars for the PlayStation generation, all eyes are currently on the Nissan GT-R ? the most eagerly anticipated new arrival since God stuck a pin in a map and decided on Bethlehem.

The fact is, though, that the Nissan is going to be upwards of ?50,000, about 15 grand more than the little Itchypussy. And I?m sorry but I cannot see, with the current laws of physics in place, how it can possibly be that much better.

The previous nine Evos were always exquisite to drive, nicer even than their great rivals from Subaru. But they were also woefully flimsy, stylistically challenged and hard to the point of hopelessness. For one lap of the N?rburgring, you?d use an Evo every time. For the journey home, you?d take the Scooby-Doo.

Now, though, everything has changed. The new Subaru is about as much fun as a church service. And it doesn?t look good in photographs because, like me, it doesn?t look good at all. I?ve seen more attractive things in medical books.

The Evo X, on the other hand, looks fab. Peel away the bulges and all that carbon fibre flotsam and jetsam ? all of which gives other road users an impression that for you driving may be a hobby, like trainspotting ? and the basic shape is very good. And then . . . Oh. My. God. There?s the way it drives.

I fear I may have to get a bit technical here. When you turned into a corner in an old Evo, initially there?d be a dribble of dreary understeer. In a normal car this is a speed-scrubbing health and safety warning that soon there will be ambulances and fire but in the Mitsubishi it was simply a portal through which you had to pass to get at the car?s heart and soul.

The heart and soul in question was its ability to remain composed and absolutely controllable in a lairy, tyre-smoking four-wheel drift. No other car I?d driven was able to do this, even slightly. It was exquisite.

The new car is even better because when you turn into a corner it?s the back that steps out of line. This means that even the portal through which you must pass to get at the meat and veg is full of hair-tingling joy.

Of course there are lots of buttons you can press to make the handling different but those are for geeks and bores. All I can report is that the basics of this car ? the core ? are monumentally, toweringly, eye-wateringly brilliant.

Then there?s the speed. Yes, a Ferrari 430 is full of brio and passion but get an Evo X on your tail and I guarantee that, unless it?s being driven by a complete spanner, you will not be able to shake it off.

And now comes the really good news. When you have finished at the track, the ride home is not bad either. Certainly it is way softer than the Evos of old, much more comfortable. Also, the X doesn?t require a service every 300 yards. And it?s garnished with higher-quality plastics as well. Oh, and I nearly forgot. It has the single best touchscreen central command sat nav system I?ve found in any car. It?ll even give you the average speed, in a graph, of each of your past 20 journeys.

And of course it?s got four doors, seating for five and a boot, which despite the fitting of a Grateful Dead bass speaker was still large enough last night to accommodate my daughter?s back-to-school requirements.

There are, however, some drawbacks that you might like to consider before signing your name on the dotted line in dribble.

First of all, it has only a five-speed gearbox. This means that on the motorway the all-new super-light 2.0 litre turbo engine becomes awfully drony. It?s like listening to Alistair Darling make a speech. And, worse, because there?s no cruising gear the fuel consumption is dreadful.

That?s bad in any car but when the tank is only the size of a Zippo, you will struggle to do 200 miles between fill-ups.

Almost certainly, then, you?d be better off with the less powerful but more economical FQ-300. I tried this too and missed the savage acceleration. But I liked the twin-clutch six-speed flappy-paddle gearbox, which is not available on the 360. Furthermore it has the same top speed and it?s at least ?6,000 cheaper. Of the two, this is the one I?d buy.

Unfortunately, however, I can?t. I?d become fed up with the flotilla of camera-toting rats more quickly than I became fed up with the never-ending trips to the pumps.

Happily, my wife has come to the rescue. She?s going to buy one and, being an organised soul, will keep it topped up with fuel. This means that when it?s dark and all the Mirror readers are in the pub fighting, I can take it out for a little drive. It?ll serve as a constant reminder of what cars can, and should, be like.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article3812271.ece

Another awesome read of an awesome article from an awesome columnist. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
aww, he really sold his lambo? hehehehe Pretty nice read

So he should buy a Porsche 911. It's a good car but no one looks twice when they see it.

And besides, only cocks buy Porsches, but let's face it...

Wow, could you atleast post a link to the damn article? You realize the only reason its free and we (those outside of the UK) are able to read it is because it gets traffic to their site? My point is this, stop ripping people off when they are providing a free service and give them the credit they deserve, i.e., don't copy and plagiarize the article just because your damn lazy. Post the link and only include a excerpt.

As for Jeremys new car, i just hope its not another damn Mercedes. I like Mercedes, but how many does he need to own?!? Maybe it is Mazzer GT time :) ! Stop funding the krauts and their overtly masculine cars, the meatballs need to eat too!

Last edited:
Wow, could you atleast post a link to the damn article? You realize the only reason its free and we (those outside of the UK) are able to read it is because it gets traffic to their site? My point is this, stop ripping people off when they are providing a free service and give them the credit they deserve, i.e., don't copy and plagiarize the article just because your damn lazy. Post the link and only include a excerpt.

Ok...Take it easy bud. I just forgot.

Wait, if he sold the Lambo what will he be buying?

LP560-4?

Probably not because he doesn't want a "flash" car. He wouldn't buy a Porsche 911 for obvious reasons. It's pretty hard for him to select a new car now because he want a nice, expensive, and sporty car that no one will notice.

Probably not because he doesn't want a "flash" car. He wouldn't buy a Porsche 911 for obvious reasons. It's pretty hard for him to select a new car now because he want a nice, expensive, and sporty car that no one will notice.

M5?

He wont shut up about they veyron on the show, he might as well own one. I know he says no flash cars, but its not jeremy without one.

Awww, man, he sold the Lambo? That saddens me - such an amazing car!

In the latest Top Gear mag he goes on about how he wants the new Merc CLK Black - stunning car and he says "God, I want one"

But then I did hear a nasty rumour that he was given the Lambo - if this is true, perhaps he didn't 'sell' it but simply 'gave it back'.

I am pleased the Lambo has gone. The seats were orange & clashed nastily with his red sunburn!
I really don't think he'd fit in an MX5.
I think an Aston V8 Vantage would be the best choice for his new car.

His wife already has a AMV8, pretty sure she does anyway, he mentioned it in supercar showdown. Pretty sure he would take it on the odd weekend...

Aston DBS whenever it comes out? nah too flashy come to think of it :p

In the latest Top Gear mag he goes on about how he wants the new Merc CLK Black - stunning car and he says "God, I want one"

Okay, as the jerk who said "no more Mercedes" i have to admit any Black Series car transcends that rule :mrgreen:

I find it very funny that Jeremy rants so much about being photographed by everyone, being a celebrity and all...

I always laugh, when celebrities complain about the downsides of fame. I think it's very strange to complain about pictures being taken, when your face is on TV all around the world anyway. They chose to be on TV, they chose to become famous. So they have to live with the negative side-effects. Full stop.

Sure, there may be some embarrassing situations but hey, I think that's funny, too. Making fun of celebrities, let them be a little bit embarrassed, is a great laugh.

See, Jeremy? We Germans habe humor after all. We can even laugh about you and your sometimes whiny rants :lol: After all, it was you who taught us on your show "Clarkson meets the neighbours", that a naked fat man is funny :mrgreen:

Last edited:
^

agreed.

Celebrity in a supercar? Perfect reasons for ppl to whip out their cellphone cameras and take pictures.

I don't think Clarkson can go anywhere without getting rashed by the public, such is life for celebrities. There is always a price to pay for being famous.

He should have realised that by now. Selling the Lambo and replacing it with another supercar/sportscar is not gonna make any difference.

I find it very funny that Jeremy rants so much about being photographed by everyone, being a celebrity and all...

I always laugh, when celebrities complain about the downsides of fame. I think it's very funny to complain about pictures being taken, when your face is on TV all around the world anyway.

Sure, there may be some embarrassing situations but hey, I think that's funny, too. Making fun of celebrities, let them be a little bit embarrassed, is a great laugh.

I think the problem is that JC lives in a bit of a nanny-state where he'd be under the microscope enough just being a average citizen, but as a celebrity he is completely unable to do anything that might be considered silly, flamboyant, reckless, rude or otherwise. Basically any right he once had to do the things that make society loose and enjoyable have been lost. As somebody who once was a bread hurling hooligan and fondly talks about dinning and dashing on a post-teenage vacation he has truly lost part of his soul. I don't blame him one bit for being angry. If I lost all my anonymity and was forced to either look like a angel and live like a saint or be constantly humiliated for looking a bit plump and then politically crucified and legally charged every-time Ms. Nanny State and Mr. Health A. Safety found me inconvenient and or rebellious I too would try and hide away from it all, in a effort to somehow still find time and place to just be alive.

Being unhappy about being a celebrity is one thing.

To have a good cry on it in a column is a sign of weakness. Jeremy shoud be cooler about it.

He should take it like the man he wants us to believe he is, swallow hard and concentrate on his work.

I think he's gonna get the new Jag (the one like May tested, only the version with more power) and something else, lighter and a more sporty, maybe even an S2000.