The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I'm trying to think of what bike I will get to replace my Magna. I'd like another 3rd generation Magna, but I also found a 1995 BMW R1100R for $3300 and a 2000 R1100R with luggage for $3500.

What do you guys think?

I would go for the BMWs. My neighbor growing up always had BMW touring bikes and it was the first bike I ever took a ride on when I was 10 years old. I know one of his bikes is in the 300,000 mile club and his other bike was nearing 200,000 miles last time I was home. Him and his son went on a massive trip to Alaska a few years ago and that is when the bike turned 300,000 miles.

Last edited:
That Suzuki only has a 4 speed. I can put up with the 5 on Maggie, but I prefer a 6. I've never been a fan of Suzuki the way I am of Honda. BMW brings ABS to the table and very advanced suspensions.

Don't suppose you want to wait a month and buy mine?
It's an '06 model on an '07 plate so it has a bit more power and torque than the newer versions. It's done just over 3,000 miles, just had first major service and new set of Michelins as the originals were bilge.
Some scratches from a low speed off but mechanically it's perfect.
I'd happily ride down to you if you needed.

P7080003_000.JPG

Have a look at my old thread.
http://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/my-motorbike-20179/page-2/

Get some updated pictures tomorrow if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer! :) ..but i already have a pretty good deal on one lined up it seems.. also, i really wouldn't want to make you ride all the way down here then go all the way back again. :| It's pretty far on a 125!

I've had a frickin ace day.. riding around all day.. i just wanted to keep going. :(

Last edited:
I know it's different on a bike. I will be most cautious. A few guys from work pointed out that improves your driving better aswell as you learn to be more aware of the things happening around you.
Just be forewarned that not only will it make you a better driver, but you'll also find yourself drawn more and more to cars with power-nothing, no driver aids, manual transmissions etc. I went from a Monte Carlo with an auto, AC and power everything ... to a Celica with power everything, no AC and a stick ... to a completely destroyed '78 Fairmont that more closely resembles farm machinery than a car :lol:.

I started riding on dirtbikes... Great practise and you get used to crashing..:p
Haha, indeed. I'm not really scared of laying my bike down at lower speeds anymore; because I've had it fall over so many times on me in the woods.

That Suzuki only has a 4 speed. I can put up with the 5 on Maggie, but I prefer a 6. I've never been a fan of Suzuki the way I am of Honda. BMW brings ABS to the table and very advanced suspensions.

My stepdad bought my BMW R1150GS and 2 weeks after that a woman drove out in front of him... ABS can be a good thing.. :p

Last edited:
What the hell is that graphic supposed to be?

Nut swing? I still have no clue what that is.

^the problem with high-powered bikes is it's really hard to keep the front wheel in the ground.. Atleast in speed under 200km/h, I also have a clip involving a friend of mine driving a morris minor (slightly tuned) against a R1.. That's funny..

I am not a big fan of the BMW styling for bikes, but I bet they're very good. If you can buy it and you like it, go for it!

Arghh! I've been looking at gear today.. my god i'm confused.

Ok, so, the little 125 i'm looking to get is silver.. Eventually i'll get a CBR600 hopefully which could be any colour.. so what colour helmet/jacket do i get? I could get black, it goes with everything.. but it's black and makes me very unnoticeable and it's very boring with no design.. also what brand of helmet? I need something good and safe but brands like Shoei and Arai of which i was looking at today are ridiculously expensive. BUT, it's the most important thing you wear! But!..money.. and budget for gloves..trousers..boots.. and i have to figure out the right colour exactly because of this! All the money i'll be spending.. Argh.. anyone got any recommendations/tips? :(

Arghh! I've been looking at gear today.. my god i'm confused.

Ok, so, the little 125 i'm looking to get is silver.. Eventually i'll get a CBR600 hopefully which could be any colour.. so what colour helmet/jacket do i get? I could get black, it goes with everything.. but it's black and makes me very unnoticeable and it's very boring with no design.. also what brand of helmet? I need something good and safe but brands like Shoei and Arai of which i was looking at today are ridiculously expensive. BUT, it's the most important thing you wear! But!..money.. and budget for gloves..trousers..boots.. and i have to figure out the right colour exactly because of this! All the money i'll be spending.. Argh.. anyone got any recommendations/tips? :(

Here read this article linked in my thread on motorcyles.

Right here

direct link here great article on helmets. The most expensive is not necessarily the best just like everything else in life.

Get a white helmet. You'll be more noticable, white goes with pretty much everything, and you'll look like someone famous. :stig:

That was quite an interesting read.. thank you. I'm agreeing with them when they say the Snell standard is too much.. It was quite informative. Though this has actually now made my choice slightly more difficult! Aha..

I would say that lighter colors would look nice with any bike. If you want to be noticeable, white/red could be good.

White gets noticed around here, thats what cops wear.