Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone / iOS Thread

Car(s)
    '04 Toyota Corolla LE

iPhone / iOS Thread

iPhone OS 4 coming this summer

Posted by digitalhome on April 9, 2010 · Leave a Comment

Apple this week previewed the next generation of its iPhone software, which will add over 100 new features, include Multitasking for third party apps, to the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

At the company’s Cupertino, California headquarters, CEO Steve Jobs also announced an updated Software Development Kit which will provide programmers with over 1,500 new Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).

“iPhone OS 4 is the fourth major release of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We’re delivering over 100 new features, including multitasking, folders, a unified inbox, deeper Enterprise support, and an iPhone version of our iBooks reader and online iBookstore.”

Another new features include: the ability to created user defined folders for organizing apps; a unified inbox allowing users to see messages from all their email accounts displayed together in a single inbox; new gaming features; a new mobile advertising platform for developers to embed ads in their applications; and new enterprise features which will improve iPhone security and compatibility in corporate settings.

In revealing some of the new features, the company did say that not all the new features will not work on all products. Most notably, multitasking will only work on the iPhone 3GS and the third generation iPod touch with 32GB or 64GB of memory.

Apple says iPhone OS 4 will be available as a software update to iPhone and iPod touch users this summer. An iPad version of iPhone OS 4 will arrive in the fall.

Too bad iPod Touch/iPhone owners with under 32GB are getting shafted with the multitasking. Oh well, I have the iPod Touch 3G 32GB, so I shouldn't worry. I can't wait!
    Last edited by Ilpav; April 10th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

Car(s)
    BMW635CSI'86.BMW850CI'96 MotoGuzzi California EV
    So Iphone is turning into a windows mobile clone while windows mobile is turning into an Iphone clone?

Car(s)
    2002 A4 Quattro
    I got the 32GB iBone, so I couldn't care less about 8/16GB users getting the shaft.

Car(s)
    1998 Volvo S70 T5M
    WHAT THE FUCK, APPLE????

So my iPod Touch 3G 8gb won't support multi-tasking??? How come? It's the 3rd generation device, running the same software as the other two, and most notably the same hardware as the bigger models...the only difference is the smaller amount of RAM, but that is no excuse to exclude multi-tasking from it. I'm currently running multi-tasking because it's jailbroken and guess what - it works fine with just 128RAM!

I'm utterly pissed off right now!

(By the way, someone move this thread to the technology section, please )
    Last edited by _HighVoltage_; April 10th, 2010 at 2:34 AM.

Car(s)
    2004 BMW 330i
    I'm glad I waited to get the 3GS.

Rides:1999 Honda VFR 800
    Drives: 2004 E46 330i 6-speed

Previously known as FordGT justinb's Avatar
    As a 3G owner I'm really not happy about it not getting multi-tasking.

All I can say is Windows Phone 7 here I come!

Car(s)
    2008 Mazda 3i, 1999 Ford Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by FordGT View Post
    As a 3G owner I'm really not happy about it not getting multi-tasking.

All I can say is Windows Phone 7 Android here I come!
    FTFY.

Viva Las Clarksonistas! brydie76's Avatar
    Car(s)
    2012 Suzuki Swift Sport/Aprilia Sportcity 200
    so my iPhone 3GS 16GB will have multitasking? Kewl Too bad for my sis though, she has my old 2G iTouch 8GB (will probably have converted to the iPhone cult within our family soon though)

And apparently (and from my tests with my friend's and my- both new at the time- 3G and 3GS) the 3GS is that little bit faster than the 3G- I found apps loaded a bit quicker. i also got better battery life on my 3GS with more usage than my friend, so maybe that's why

A small island off the coast of New Zealand
    Car(s)
    1988 Ford Laser Ghia
    The processor is faster in the 3GS.

Mathematics is to physics as masturbation is to sex.

Car(s)
    '10 RX-8 R3
    Quote Originally Posted by brydiem View Post
    so my iPhone 3GS 16GB will have multitasking? Kewl Too bad for my sis though, she has my old 2G iTouch 8GB (will probably have converted to the iPhone cult within our family soon though)

And apparently (and from my tests with my friend's and my- both new at the time- 3G and 3GS) the 3GS is that little bit faster than the 3G- I found apps loaded a bit quicker. i also got better battery life on my 3GS with more usage than my friend, so maybe that's why
    Most notably, multitasking will only work on the iPhone 3GS and the third generation iPod touch with 32GB or 64GB of memory.

Car(s)
    '04 Toyota Corolla LE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Fussion View Post
    The processor is faster in the 3GS.
    Yeah, but by only 66 MHz and it has twice the RAM, so it's much better for gaming.

Anyway, here's a video showing off some of the new features.

Finally, a wallpaper that's actually a wallpaper and not just a picture you see at the unlock screen!

Edit: And the folders are pretty neat too; you can just put all your games in one folder (looks like folders can only hold 9 apps, though).
    Last edited by Ilpav; April 10th, 2010 at 4:47 AM.

has a fetish for terrible cars rickhamilton620's Avatar
    Car(s)
    98 Accord Ex
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkReaper View Post
    So Iphone is turning into a windows mobile clone while windows mobile is turning into an Iphone clone?
    Technically, the only way Windows Phone 7's multitasking system differs from OS 4's is the fact that Windows Phone 7 relies on a context sensitive back button that either jumps you back to an app or jumps you back a screen depending on the usage scenario, while OS 4 uses a task switcher. Both, however, are faux multitasking. Apps are closed in a "frozen" state while only "critical" functions re left running. For example, when one opens the new Pandora app but switches to a new app, the app's UI and other parts are closed, only the music is streamed via the music service.
    "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

"
    COCOBOT WILL DESTROY YOUR CLUTCH AND ALL THAT YOU LOVE." ~ NinjaCoco

"A tad firm??? That's like saying the Titanic took on a tad of water or that being thrown into a pit of angry cobras is a tad dangerous or that bungee jumping without a bungee is a tad hazardous." ~ Spectre on the Mazda2's ride quality

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Car(s)
    05 Nissan Xterra 4x4
    3GS 4lyfe (until 4G)

In Mix We Trust!

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    I have an 8GB 3G and I'm not too concerned. I won't upgrade until there is a 64GB version (so it can handle all my music).

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "I got one comin for ya when I get home. No don't worry, santa is not going to surprise buttsex the multi-hatted mouse." -LP
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

wants to fondle your manboobs killpanda's Avatar
    Car(s)
    Driving School's Motorbike
    Quote Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_ View Post
    WHAT THE FUCK, APPLE????

So my iPod Touch 3G 8gb won't support multi-tasking??? How come? It's the 3rd generation device, running the same software as the other two, and most notably the same hardware as the bigger models...the only difference is the smaller amount of RAM, but that is no excuse to exclude multi-tasking from it. I'm currently running multi-tasking because it's jailbroken and guess what - it works fine with just 128RAM!

I'm utterly pissed off right now!
    Sorry, the 8GB 3G iPod Touch is running all the old hardware, it's not the better with less ram.

Car(s)
    2006 Renault Clio 1.4 16V
    Yes, the "3G" 8GB Touch is really the 2G Touch

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    I have a first gen iPod Touch. With my luck, it won't support the 4.0 OS at all.

No worries though, getting the next gen iPhone this summer.
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Wants Rick Astley's Babies Buba's Avatar
    Car(s)
    Golf V GTI DSG
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilpav View Post
    Yeah, but by only 66 MHz and it has twice the RAM, so it's much better for gaming.
    Afaik, its 200Mhz more than the 3G. And yeah, twice the RAM. But what makes it better for gaming is the massivley improved GPU. Same as they built into the iPad btw.
    So, mostly its about the RAM is guess.

While I get that Itouch users might be bummed, the iphone users don't have anything to complain about, IMHO.

You bought a 3G 1,5 years back? -> Congrats, you can get a 4g or HD or whatever iPhone when your contract is up -> you get multitasking
    You bought a 3GS last year? -> You will have multitasking

You bought a 3G last year? -> Thats what you get for being cheap, so don't complain...

[18:11] MXM: it means buba is better than you now
    [18:12] sam-l: In what way?
    [18:12] Slycer: longer penis

Car(s)
    1998 Volvo S70 T5M
    Quote Originally Posted by maxtortheone View Post
    Yes, the "3G" 8GB Touch is really the 2G Touch
    I smell a lawsuit coming...false advertising maybe? If I had known the hardware is all the same, I could've even gotten the second gen 8gb, but I insisted on the latest generation for the reason that it will be the best for future updates.

Way to go, Apple!

Car(s)
    '10 RX-8 R3
    Lawsuit? I thought it was common knowledge. Hell, my 16 year old sister (not into anything remotely technological) managed to figure it out on her own.

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information