Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tea Party Candidate: Let's secure our borders east german style!

Car(s)
    1979 Opel Kadett; 1972 Ford Country Sedan

Tea Party Candidate: Let's secure our borders east german style!

The United States should borrow ideas from Communist East Germany to keep its borders secure, Alaska's Republican Senate candidate Joe Miller suggested at a town hall Sunday night.

"The first thing that has to be done is secure the border," Miller said when asked about illegal immigration into the United States, Alaskan blogger Steve Aufrecht first reported.

Miller continued, "East Germany was very, very able to reduce the flow. Now, obviously, other things were involved. We have the capacity to, as a great nation, secure the border. If East Germany could, we could."

The Tea Party-backed candidate, who is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, explained that he once served at the Fulda Gap, a point on the former East-West German border. East Germany's border troops were given orders to shoot anyone trying to flee East Germany.

Following the same town hall meeting, a reporter for the Alaska Dispatch was handcuffed and detained by private security guards working for Miller while trying to ask Miller a question.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...18-503544.html
    Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
    (Roger Ebert)

|

Alaska has a problem with illegal immigration? Couldn't they just use radar or so to spot the russians coming or is this about the canadians?

Car(s)
    2002 MX-5 SE, 2013 Focus ST3.
    Do the Tea Baggers have anyone who has half a brain cell?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -Isaac Asimov

Car(s)
    *Carless* Waaahhh
    Monkey see, monkey build wall.

Car(s)
    '10 Skoda Octavia Combi, '11 VW Eos
    "If East Germany could, we could."

I don't think that's a good way to motivate people.

[AiR] Skoda drivers are the winners.
    [93Flareside] Why must Germans be perfect in everything?

Car(s)
    2002 MX-5 SE, 2013 Focus ST3.
    Clarkson was right, people in America are breeding with vegetables.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -Isaac Asimov

Previously known as efoolution Interrobang's Avatar
    Now where do you start on this one ...

If you compare the wall to something and want to take something away from it in a sense of "learning from it" ... you might want to think more in terms of a Prison with 16 Million Inmates. Wanna imprison your own country? East germany is what you want to take as your model. Or maybe North Korea (24 Million Inmates). Border security or immigration wise you might want to look somewhere else ...

beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by hajj View Post
    Alaska has a problem with illegal immigration? Couldn't they just use radar or so to spot the russians coming or is this about the canadians?
    I was thinking the same thing. God these people are stupid.

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "I got one comin for ya when I get home. No don't worry, santa is not going to surprise buttsex the multi-hatted mouse." -LP
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Car(s)
    Honda Accord 2.2 i-Dtec Sport Estate.Hyundai Ix20
    Can I point out that the tea bag is a relatively recent invention.

Car(s)
    Not really, they are just part of the NeoCon nut jobs. Ron Paul was gaining traction with his movement, so the NeoCons jumped in and took it over.

"If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "I got one comin for ya when I get home. No don't worry, santa is not going to surprise buttsex the multi-hatted mouse." -LP
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Car(s)
    2005 Gr Cherokee, dealer demo
    I would like to point out this is the same guy who had his private security guards, who happened to be active duty military moonlighting for a private security company that lost their license, 'arrest' a reporter then handcuff him to a chair for half an hour.

Second book is out "The Knight's Ill Thought Bargain" at amazon for Kinde or paperback.

and at Barnes and Noble for Nook.

Don't know what it is? Go watch the trailer.

Car(s)
    '03 Volvo S60 AWD
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

<deep breath>

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Backdraft
    "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man."

Sure, you can call him insane, racist, etc. But there's some truth in that.

Car(s)
    Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
    Quote Originally Posted by hajj View Post
    Yes, I could see how Alaska would have a problem with people fleeing to Canada, both for health care and to flee morons like mr. Miller. However, against the Russians, they don't even need a radar. They just need to set up watch from Palin's tanning bed.

Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post
    "If East Germany could, we could."

I don't think that's a good way to motivate people.
    Imagine if a democrat found a good, reasonable quote from Mao's little red, and used it. And it came out. Bow-wow!

Quote Originally Posted by British_Rover View Post
    I would like to point out this is the same guy who had his private security guards, who happened to be active duty military moonlighting for a private security company that lost their license, 'arrest' a reporter then handcuff him to a chair for half an hour.
    Let's just hope this man with the brain of a baboon does not get a position of power. In -any- way.

I'm willing to BET mr. Miller compared the health reform to the Soviet Union. BET!
    I am one of "the two most level headed and pragmatic regular posters on the politics forum" according to anonymous sources.
    blog
    Bustin' chops since the late 80s

Quote Originally Posted by nomix View Post
    Yes, I could see how Alaska would have a problem with people fleeing to Canada, both for health care and to flee morons like mr. Miller. However, against the Russians, they don't even need a radar. They just need to set up watch from Palin's tanning bed.
    True the Russians won't be such a problem, but you forgot all those Canadians who want cheaper booze.

Car(s)
    Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
    And the Americans wanting cheap meds?
    I am one of "the two most level headed and pragmatic regular posters on the politics forum" according to anonymous sources.
    blog
    Bustin' chops since the late 80s

Car(s)
    I think that you are not allowed to import meds to the US.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobol74 View Post
    I think that you are not allowed to import meds to the US.
    Yep. Gotta prop up Big Pharm. And guess what they won't be lowering their prices for our universal heathcare.

Car(s)
    I have often wondered why are your meds soooo expensive. I can get anything I need for a 10 GBP per prescription, thank you NHS. Many people on long term meds or on limited means it is free.
    Last edited by Cobol74; October 21st, 2010 at 4:40 PM.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobol74 View Post
    I have often wondered why are your meds soooo expensive. I can get anything I need for a 10 GBP per prescription, thank you NHS. Many people on long term meds or on limited means it is free.
    Because they can get away with charging those prices. Does the U.K. have the same patent law as the U.S. in regards of pharmaceuticals?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information