Page 138 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 2951

Thread: US of A Presidential Elections 2012

Asbury, Missouri (Center of the Universe)
    Car(s)
    2003 Ford Focus SVT - 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

US of A Presidential Elections 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What exactly prevents America from a big scale reform to make things fairer and plainer? Is it just the inertness?
    The people we elect, they only really know how to keep the status quo, for 236 years...

An amendment to the constitution is a little complicated. It is not merely passing a law through congress, it has to be passed in a majority of the states too.

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Car(s)
    2005 Gr Cherokee, dealer demo
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post

I was one of those who voted for Romney (Please don't pigeon hole me, I am an atheist who cares little for social issues. I voted for Romney primarily for his stance on foreign affairs and the military budget)
    Ok I gotta ask and I will try not to insert my own opinion into the question.

Why did you like Romney's foreign affairs policy? Also in your opinion what was his foreign policy?

What specific in his military budget did you like? The overall goal of a 4% floor or targeted spending on specific programs?

Second book is out "The Knight's Ill Thought Bargain" at amazon for Kinde or paperback.

and at Barnes and Noble for Nook.

Don't know what it is? Go watch the trailer.

Car(s)
    '10 Skoda Octavia Combi, '11 VW Eos
    As I understand it, the current election system was installed in a time with no telephone, no radio, no cars, no trains, no national newspapers and no other means for people to actually get to know the presidential candidate. So they installed this electoral college system, which is clearly outdated now, seems more than just strange today and frankly is downright undemocratic.

What exactly prevents America from a big scale reform to make things fairer and plainer? Is it just the inertness?
    Pretty much inertness and nostalgia. Look at how often the founding fathers get (mis-)cited, for example. You could say that anything going against their (perceived) ideas is considered treason-esque.

A first small change would be to keep the electoral college, but get rid of the winner-takes-all rule. The problem with that is, no state wants to do it. For example, if you're a democratic state going from winner-takes-all to relative assignments according to votes gives the enemy "free electors". The same applies for republican states, going from "65% votes for my party results in 100% electors for my party" to "65% votes for my party results in 65% electors for my party" is a net loss for your party.

[AiR] Skoda drivers are the winners.
    [93Flareside] Why must Germans be perfect in everything?

Car(s)
    2005 Gr Cherokee, dealer demo
    Want to see the parallel universe of a Romney presidency?

It is right here.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/20...tion_site.html

Second book is out "The Knight's Ill Thought Bargain" at amazon for Kinde or paperback.

and at Barnes and Noble for Nook.

Don't know what it is? Go watch the trailer.

Car(s)
    Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
    Quote Originally Posted by British_Rover View Post
    Want to see the parallel universe of a Romney presidency?

It is right here.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/20...tion_site.html
    That's why he lost. He temped the wrath of whatever high atop the thing.
    I am one of "the two most level headed and pragmatic regular posters on the politics forum" according to anonymous sources.
    blog
    Bustin' chops since the late 80s

Car(s)
    VW Golf IV 1.6
    But, but... Jesus was with him. I mean JESUS. Almost every Romney supporter they caught on camera here, said something like: "God is with Romney" or "Jesus will make him president".

Well, I guess that can only mean Satan won again

Car(s)
    2013 Mini Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by nomix View Post
    That's why he lost. He temped the wrath of whatever high atop the thing.
    Very much so. He even said he only wrote a victory speech.

But, but... Jesus was with him. I mean JESUS. Almost every Romney supporter they caught on camera here, said something like: "God is with Romney" or "Jesus will make him president".

Well, I guess that can only mean Satan won again
    Bit like what Bill Maher said
    http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-mahe...ney-landslide/

So, that's all good.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpitfireMK461 View Post
    Very much so. He even said he only wrote a victory speech.
    He probably didn't even go outside to spit.
    I am one of "the two most level headed and pragmatic regular posters on the politics forum" according to anonymous sources.
    blog

Previously known as zephyrus17 GaryC's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '90 Miata, '12 Octavia RS
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_christie View Post
    It's so easy in hindsight...

Car(s)
    2013 Mini Cooper S
    Perhaps it is a bit premature to start an Election 2016 thread, but Hillary is ahead in the polls for the Dems.

http://www.politicususa.com/hillary-...poll-2016.html

Previously known as zephyrus17 GaryC's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '90 Miata, '12 Octavia RS
    4 years in advance? I think it's WAY too premature to tell

Car(s)
    It is, but it's fun to start talking now. In 2008, I think I'd bet on Romney for the GOP nomination, while I did call among others Herman Cain, Newt and Rick Perry during the primary race because it was so damned unstable. Then again, I always maintained comedy candidates like Santorum, Trump and Bachmann wouldn't get close. Pity this wasn't a Bachmann/Santorum ticket. While the Tea party and the republican base would be out, the GOP would probably end up with a 35/65 gender margin and anyone not already a republican voting for a blue ticket. THat would've been a landslide to talk about, and would be an even clearer inditement of the Tea Party movement.

So this time round, I'll predict that the republican ticket will be Christie/Rubio (or reversed) and Clinton/Someone. What I'd really like to see would be Colin Powel becoming Clinton's replacement at the State department, and then joining her for the ticket in 2016. That would be an awsome ticket. But Hillary needs to get started on domestic policy and economic policy right now.
    blog

Car(s)
    2013 Mini Cooper S
    I'm not sure Hillary is sold on running. Earlier this past term, she was saying this was the end of politics for her. I think her favorable term has Secretary is what stirs the talking about her running. Biden would be the natural person to carry the flag, but I think even he'd have to put a lot of thought into it. Even amongst Democrats he gets a mixed reputation (I like him plenty, though), but if he continues in politics, he'd essentially have to run.

If they had to go at it, I think Biden would come ahead in the long run. He has vastly more experience in this than Hillary. She is definitely a heavy weight now, and might even be the front runner at first, but she'd have a hell of a time going against Vice President Biden. The combination of experience and position would give Biden an advantage no one else could have.

On the note of Hillary's replacement, I've heard rumors of John Kerry being picked. Think about it, and it makes a lot of sense. I don't think we'll see Colin Powell come back.

Rubio and Christie will definitely be leading the Republican pack in 2012, no questions asked. Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley will definitely being considering a run as well. Paul Ryan will likely run as well, I think.

Car(s)
    1979 Opel Kadett; 1972 Ford Country Sedan
    Biden is too old to run in 2016. Especially if the GOP keeps pissing off women, the Democrats should run with one - I find the Clinton/Warren (or Warren/someone) ticket option interesting...
    Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
    (Roger Ebert)

has a fetish for terrible cars rickhamilton620's Avatar
    Car(s)
    98 Accord Ex
    Interestingly I saw this mentioned in a Facebook ABC News post about Mozart's piano of all things:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/mi...on-for-romney/

Dunno if true...or just butthurt GOP fans making shit up.
    "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

"
    COCOBOT WILL DESTROY YOUR CLUTCH AND ALL THAT YOU LOVE." ~ NinjaCoco

"A tad firm??? That's like saying the Titanic took on a tad of water or that being thrown into a pit of angry cobras is a tad dangerous or that bungee jumping without a bungee is a tad hazardous." ~ Spectre on the Mazda2's ride quality

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Car(s)
    VW Golf IV 1.6
    I'd believe the mail delivery failure without the shadow of a doubt.

I wouldn't believe, though, that they'd have changed the outcome of the election.
    Last edited by MacGuffin; November 9th, 2012 at 8:02 AM.

has a fetish for terrible cars rickhamilton620's Avatar
    Car(s)
    98 Accord Ex
    I'd believe the mail delivery failure without the shadow of a doubt.

I wouldn't believe, though, that they'd have changed the outcome of the election.
    Looking around the site more (images and such), it appears as if it's "The Onion" only for military news. So I don't think it's true.
    "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

"
    COCOBOT WILL DESTROY YOUR CLUTCH AND ALL THAT YOU LOVE." ~ NinjaCoco

"A tad firm??? That's like saying the Titanic took on a tad of water or that being thrown into a pit of angry cobras is a tad dangerous or that bungee jumping without a bungee is a tad hazardous." ~ Spectre on the Mazda2's ride quality

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Car(s)
    Honda Accord 2.2 i-Dtec Sport Estate.Hyundai Ix20
    The Politics show was asking about the lessons for Ukania from the US elections and it was said that the Tories (Conservative) Party have maxed out with 37% of the vote and they need to get some policies that appeal to women and ethnic minorities not to mention that some of both should be considered seriously as candidates for the next election. So if the Tories do not want to go the way of the GOP they need to learn that lesson quickly and do something about it.

I am quite hopeful that Obama can start getting his policies and bills through congress now and he can show up the fillibusters for what and who they are.

Thread Information