Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.5FI

  1. #21
    I'm not Moe bartboy9891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1st, 2004
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,125
    Rep Power
    35
    Spray paint it orange.
    ____________________________

  2. #22
    He who drives a Buick Punisher Bass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 25th, 2007
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,159
    Car(s)
    98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    Rep Power
    92
    I knew they were basically the same cars, it just brought back a lot of memories. That car loved to eat transmissions and alternators. It also had major problems with the window motors going out along with the trunk latch. It had so much "fancy" technology that kindasorta worked some of the time and then broke. Like the keypad on the door that you could use to get into the car.
    ____________________________
    The Mighty Buick Of Destruction.


  3. #23
    Little Nudger BlaRo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 18th, 2005
    Location
    "Los Angeles," which is Spanish for "The Angeles"
    Posts
    17,274
    Car(s)
    2000 Mazda Miata, 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Rep Power
    1161
    My dad's friend had a brown Celebrity. It was...........there.

    That's in surprisingly nice condition for a car that's almost as old as I am. Maybe it'll be worth something someday if you lock it up in a garage for a few (hundred) years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    To borrow a line from Clarkson: "[This car] made millions of people stand up and as one declare, 'I want to buy something else.'"
    Where's that from?
    ____________________________
    SERIOUS AUTOMOTIVE JOURNALISM

  4. #24
    The Deported Spectre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 1st, 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    27,318
    Car(s)
    87 XJ6 | 95 F350 | 86 CB700SC | 02 919
    Rep Power
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaRo View Post
    My dad's friend had a brown Celebrity. It was...........there.

    That's in surprisingly nice condition for a car that's almost as old as I am. Maybe it'll be worth something someday if you lock it up in a garage for a few (hundred) years.


    Where's that from?
    Clarkson's Car Years: Why Do People Like British Sports Cars

    I uploaded just the specific clip to YouTube:
    [YOUTUBE]W0Qm6iQ6zZs[/YOUTUBE]
    ____________________________

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 27th, 2005
    Location
    Detriot Metro Area
    Posts
    3,311
    Car(s)
    2 Rust buckets and a confused 1999 American.
    Rep Power
    0
    when i was tiny my dad had a celebrity wagon, which is bad, whats worse is that he sold his first gen Volkswagon GTI to buy it

  6. #26
    @ .au
    Join Date
    Oct 2nd, 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    30
    Posts
    593
    Car(s)
    2001 Peugeot 306 XSi
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch0001 View Post
    Wait, wait ... You mean Chevy actually made a car and called it the Celebrity?! And people bought it?!?!
    And it has a column shift? And a speedo that only goes to 85mph? And has whitewall tyres in 1989? 98hp from a 2.5? Even my ratty old 2.0L '88 Nissan Pintara put out 105hp.

    The styling reminds me a lot of a Volvo of some sort (740/760?), only not quite as good.

    If that was what the US makers called a car back then, no wonder they're in deep shit now. If I owned one of those, I'd be turned off American cars for good too.

    My old Pintara would have been fantastic compared to a Celebrity.

  7. #27
    Previously Known As Jamesd Dsemaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia.
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,944
    Car(s)
    2003 Urabus Impreza WRX, 1997 Fraud Falcs EL Wagon
    Rep Power
    26
    Woooooooooow!

    My bluebird had the same power when new!
    ____________________________

    2003 Urabus Impreza WRX stage one - 3" TBE Exhaust, Custom Dyno tune 210kW/440Nm 5 sp manual
    1997 Ford EL Falcon Wagon - 163kW/366Nm 4sp FraudSlushOMatic

  8. #28
    Blind_Io's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 5th, 2006
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    19,322
    Car(s)
    06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
    Rep Power
    680
    Oh My God

    Ok, my aunt's family had one of those in a wagon back in the day. Biggest piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune to drive. The only put on one coat of primer and one coat of paint, so by the end of it's life you would get Tetanus just from looking at it. The car was on it's THIRD engine when it finally limped down to the junkyard (they would only pay $60 for it) and it blew that engine on the final turn into the lot. Starting it was a 10 minute ordeal, in fact, I think my cousin ended up putting a truck battery in it so he wouldn't run out of power trying to crank the thing. I can't even count how many things went wrong on that car.

    Funny Story about "Ben" (yes, the car was named Ben).
    The passenger door lock failed, but only to lock the car. It would unlock fine but not lock, you had to remember to reach over and do that manually. Also, the engine ignition was so worn that you could start the car just by twisting the ignition without the key in it (the older GM models had little paddles to turn the ignition because they had such tiny keys). I think you can see where this is going. One day my cousin arrives at school and gets the "Rockstar Parking Spot" right by the steps to the school. I arrive later and park out in the lot, but I have to walk past his car to get to class. "Hmm, Brian got the good spot. I wonder if he ever fixed that door like he said he would?" Nope. "I wonder if he ever fixed that ignition problem" Nope. "I wonder if he would mind if I moved his car to the farthest parking spot in the lot?" Oh yeah.
    ____________________________

    No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
    but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.


  9. #29
    jetsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11th, 2005
    Location
    Serenìsima Repùblica de California
    Posts
    7,258
    Car(s)
    1997 BMW 528i
    Rep Power
    58
    A replacement:

    ____________________________
    "I saw myself founding a new religion, marching
    into Asia riding an elephant, a turban on my
    head and in my hands the new Koran I would
    have written to suit my needs." - Napoléon Bonaparte

    "More than 60,000 Germans fell, not beneath the
    Roman arms and weapons, but, grander far,
    before our delighted eyes. May the tribes, I pray,
    ever retain if not love for us, at least hatred for
    each other; for while the destinies of empire bear
    hard upon us, fortune can give no greater boon
    than discord among our foes." - Germania, Tacitus

  10. #30
    is Der Slut Der Stig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 19th, 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,571
    Car(s)
    '14 Genesis 3.8
    Rep Power
    250
    ^That was quick lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    Did anyone read that?
    What could have been slower?!?!?! An 1886 Benz?
    ____________________________

    Rides:1999 Honda VFR 800
    Drives:2014 Hyundai Genesis 3.8

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 25th, 2009
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Power
    23
    That's a pretty epic bump.

  12. #32
    Captain Volvo _HighVoltage_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 5th, 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    9,317
    Car(s)
    1998 Volvo S70 T5M
    Rep Power
    184
    The Accord is a big improvement!

    Is the Celebrity still running btw?
    ____________________________
    My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/svilentrifonov/
    "It's the difference between watching great sex and having good sex." - Labcoatguy on the difference between an automatic and a manual gearbox.

  13. #33
    jetsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11th, 2005
    Location
    Serenìsima Repùblica de California
    Posts
    7,258
    Car(s)
    1997 BMW 528i
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by _HighVoltage_ View Post
    The Accord is a big improvement!

    Is the Celebrity still running btw?
    Yes however it does overheat at times. I put it on craigslist last night for $400 and already have received several emails and phone calls.
    Last edited by jetsetter; July 26th, 2009 at 2:14 PM.
    ____________________________
    "I saw myself founding a new religion, marching
    into Asia riding an elephant, a turban on my
    head and in my hands the new Koran I would
    have written to suit my needs." - Napoléon Bonaparte

    "More than 60,000 Germans fell, not beneath the
    Roman arms and weapons, but, grander far,
    before our delighted eyes. May the tribes, I pray,
    ever retain if not love for us, at least hatred for
    each other; for while the destinies of empire bear
    hard upon us, fortune can give no greater boon
    than discord among our foes." - Germania, Tacitus

  14. #34
    jetsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 11th, 2005
    Location
    Serenìsima Repùblica de California
    Posts
    7,258
    Car(s)
    1997 BMW 528i
    Rep Power
    58
    I've received quite a few emails from people with names like "Reggie" and "Sheena" from the bad part of town......
    ____________________________
    "I saw myself founding a new religion, marching
    into Asia riding an elephant, a turban on my
    head and in my hands the new Koran I would
    have written to suit my needs." - Napoléon Bonaparte

    "More than 60,000 Germans fell, not beneath the
    Roman arms and weapons, but, grander far,
    before our delighted eyes. May the tribes, I pray,
    ever retain if not love for us, at least hatred for
    each other; for while the destinies of empire bear
    hard upon us, fortune can give no greater boon
    than discord among our foes." - Germania, Tacitus

  15. #35
    Little Nudger BlaRo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 18th, 2005
    Location
    "Los Angeles," which is Spanish for "The Angeles"
    Posts
    17,274
    Car(s)
    2000 Mazda Miata, 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Rep Power
    1161
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    I've received quite a few emails from people with names like "Reggie" and "Sheena" from the bad part of town......
    Expect to see your car being chased by helicopters on the nightly news. That is, if it doesn't blow an engine on the way to the liquor store first...
    ____________________________
    SERIOUS AUTOMOTIVE JOURNALISM

  16. #36
    Hemihead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15th, 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,023
    Car(s)
    Vaz 21023, Peugeot 605 SV24, Audi A4 Avant 2.6
    Rep Power
    137
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfi2bZkGL8[/YOUTUBE]
    ____________________________
    "ROFL dude that has got to be the best use of "whatever is lying around" since Vin Diesel killed a man with a tea cup." - prizrak comments on my Vaz project.

    "Anything can be a dildo if you're brave enough." - Jay

  17. #37
    wants to fondle your manboobs killpanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 22nd, 2004
    Location
    HK
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,600
    Car(s)
    Driving School's Motorbike
    Rep Power
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind_Io View Post
    Oh My God

    Ok, my aunt's family had one of those in a wagon back in the day. Biggest piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune to drive. The only put on one coat of primer and one coat of paint, so by the end of it's life you would get Tetanus just from looking at it. The car was on it's THIRD engine when it finally limped down to the junkyard (they would only pay $60 for it) and it blew that engine on the final turn into the lot. Starting it was a 10 minute ordeal, in fact, I think my cousin ended up putting a truck battery in it so he wouldn't run out of power trying to crank the thing. I can't even count how many things went wrong on that car.

    Funny Story about "Ben" (yes, the car was named Ben).
    The passenger door lock failed, but only to lock the car. It would unlock fine but not lock, you had to remember to reach over and do that manually. Also, the engine ignition was so worn that you could start the car just by twisting the ignition without the key in it (the older GM models had little paddles to turn the ignition because they had such tiny keys). I think you can see where this is going. One day my cousin arrives at school and gets the "Rockstar Parking Spot" right by the steps to the school. I arrive later and park out in the lot, but I have to walk past his car to get to class. "Hmm, Brian got the good spot. I wonder if he ever fixed that door like he said he would?" Nope. "I wonder if he ever fixed that ignition problem" Nope. "I wonder if he would mind if I moved his car to the farthest parking spot in the lot?" Oh yeah.
    Oh so that's what the famous Ben you talked me about in Tiburon in June looks like!
    I got to admit it's even worse that what I was imagining

    And... 98bhp for a car like that?? Does that even move?

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 26th, 2006
    Location
    Iselin, NJ
    Posts
    654
    Car(s)
    Crown Victoria LX Sport
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    I've received quite a few emails from people with names like "Reggie" and "Sheena" from the bad part of town......
    If that's the case, ask for Cash up front...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Celebrity Classics?
    By Shawn in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 24th, 2007, 9:27 PM
  2. Which celebrity or famous person have you met?
    By Viggen in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: June 11th, 2006, 7:30 PM
  3. Vauxhall VXR celebrity challenge?
    By Zafira in forum Top Gear
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 28th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •