Lotus Evija Electric Hypercar to be Revealed July 16th, 2019 - Complicate and Add Heaviness?

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Being pragmatic, I rather see they make the best possible EV with a Lotus philosphy (light, fun, simple, etc.) and still survive instead of having the company refuse to do that and end up dead.
That doesn't mean I wanna see they change the focus to SUVs or something...just keep the Exige/Elise sucessor and I will be happy.

The "simplify" part actually goes very well along with EVs - few things are simpler than a brushless electric motor with its exactly one moving part. "Add lightness" is a little more difficult. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/british/lotuss-electric-hypercar-will-be-called-evija

Curious to see what this will look like and get an idea of the performance stats but hard to imagine how high performance BPEV could align with Colin Chapman's philosophy.

What is a BPEV? I assume you meant a BEV. No need to add the p, it is fairly obvious that it will need to be plugged in.

Since this will be a limited run, it will be a play toy for the rich. I doubt more than a few will get driven more than a ten thousand miles.

Lotus' first entry into the world of the hypercar is a £2m electric speed machine

that's an m like in million, and not an M like in thousand?
that's one expensive lotus!!! (2M would be rediclously cheap though :D)

looking good though!

Henry Catchpole of Carfection does a walk-through with the designer:

1680kg is heavy, but still lighter than any other all-electric hypercar out there, and not much heavier than the hybrid ones either - the McLaren P1 for example comes in at 1550. And with a 70kWh pack and 4 motors, that's actually fairly light compared to other EVs. So at least the "add lightness" bit is sort of kept, considering what they built here.

that's an m like in million, and not an M like in thousand?
that's one expensive lotus!!! (2M would be rediclously cheap though :D)

looking good though!

I thought it was M for thousands and MM for million... (at least that what I remember from my accounting classes, and I have a BS in Accounting, so I took a few of them :) )

I'm not too worried about the weight, from what I can see, most EVs in the class are still heavier than the Lotus.

I thought it was M for thousands and MM for million... (at least that what I remember from my accounting classes, and I have a BS in Accounting, so I took a few of them :) )

next time i see an advertisment of a 2 million$ thing shown as 2M$ instead of 2m or 2MM, i'll just go give them 2K :blowup:

What are you guys bibbling on about?

Standard practice these days is to use k to represent 1000 and m to represent millions when talking about prices.

1680kg is heavy, but still lighter than any other all-electric hypercar out there, and not much heavier than the hybrid ones either - the McLaren P1 for example comes in at 1550. And with a 70kWh pack and 4 motors, that's actually fairly light compared to other EVs. So at least the "add lightness" bit is sort of kept, considering what they built here.

It's a Lotus, it will naturally over the course of its life shed much of that weight off.

• Haha
Reactions: MWF
First drive:

First electric car that excited me.

That looks awesome. Won't be able to afford it, but I'm glad it exists.

I can't ignore this rusty bit though, I know it's a prototype, but if you're getting media attention, clean it up...

1620406202913.png

It's an English tradition.
See: McLaren lending press cars with rusty rear grills.