Tesla Cybertruck

A publicity stunt. You make an outlandish claim, it backfires, you get on the front page of literally every website, and literally everyone talking about it. I bet that was the plan all along.

Sounds like with this thinking they knew the Truckla wouldn’t be that exciting so let’s do this glass demo and pretend it wasn’t intentional. Gotta get them clicks I guess. With this it makes me think they’re falling out of relevance and needed something to spring to the top again. Just make good stuff and improve the service network. We’ve had a few Tesla car buyers on the forums that go through hell just to get a car, why not invest there? Sure it’s not the new cool thing to do but you’ll retain customers...

Seriously. .12 inch (about an eighth) steel is ridiculous.

Here's a piece of it next to the bumper towing bracket of a modern Subaru, and against a normal piece of body steel.

Attachments

• IMG_20191123_130227.jpg
    IMG_20191123_130227.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20191123_130246.jpg
    IMG_20191123_130246.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
Also, how is that going to pass pedestrian safety regulations?

By crashing through the walls of the safety regulators' building and running them over.

Sounds like with this thinking they knew the Truckla wouldn’t be that exciting so let’s do this glass demo and pretend it wasn’t intentional. Gotta get them clicks I guess. With this it makes me think they’re falling out of relevance and needed something to spring to the top again. Just make good stuff and improve the service network. We’ve had a few Tesla car buyers on the forums that go through hell just to get a car, why not invest there? Sure it’s not the new cool thing to do but you’ll retain customers...

That's not the truckla! This is the truckla:
https://im.indiatimes.in/content/20..._truck_diy_tesla_truck_1560923861_725x725.jpg

Well, $100 reservations. How many of those will actually be followed through, we will see.

Also, we will see how the actual product will look.

That one is just a sketch for now. Know what isn't just a sketch and still looks better than the Triangla?

b85QJgh.png

But here's something to ponder. Within the next few years, you're going to have a flood of fully electric pickup trucks. Between the Tesla Cybertruck, the Rivian R1T, the Bollinger B2, Atlis XT, Lordstown Endurance, Workhose W-15, Ford F150 BEV and whatever GM brings to the market, you're going to have A LOT of volume in the same segment. I've read a few studies that project electric pickup demand between 30k units per year on the low end to 70k on the aggressive side. Between all those companies, the market will easily be flooded way too quickly. For reference, in 2018, there were about 2.95M pickup truck sales in the US (909k Ford F-Series, 586k Silverado, 537k Ram).

3m pick ups in one year? I'm surprised they don't run out of cousins to marry.

Last edited:
Not to mention, as Thomas and Der Stig recently demonstrated, the F-150 is faster to 60+ than a Porsche Boxster.

Not to mention, as Thomas and Der Stig recently demonstrated, the F-150 is faster to 60+ than a Porsche Boxster.
I still rather drive the Boxster.

I still rather drive the Boxster.

That's fine, just responding to CrzRsn's point about the truck being more capable than a BMW - and faster than many - so there are valid reasons the things are replacing the traditional family sedan in the US. Increasingly you trade off little or nothing in daily average use with a truck over a car - and in some cases, such as internal room, you actually gain quite a bit.

It's actually quite scary how fast and competent something like an EcoBoost F-150 is on the road at speed.

I still haven’t driven the new Raptor powered F150 Limited. That thing is supposed to be silly fast. Shame its limited to a 3.55 FDR. Throwing a 3.73 or even the Raptor’s 4.10 on that thing would make it insane.