Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What truck should Argatoga buy next?

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

What truck should Argatoga buy next?

This may come as a shock to many, but my Disco is rusting and isn't worth repairing. There isn't an immediate need to replace it, but within the next year I'll want to ditch it.

So I'm trying to think what I would replace it with.

Notes for my uses of the truck:
    -I hike regularly which involves roads that would not agree with four wheel drive cars.
    -I want a lockable center diff with low range.
    -I'm looking for an SUV and not a pickup truck.
    -I'd like a 5k tow capacity in high, but I can deal with 3k or so.
    -Must seat four comfortably (no 2 door Wrangler).
    -Must have room to fit two mountain bikes without fully dismantling them.
    -I'd like to avoid a giant truck (no Excursions).
    -A huge plus if the tongue weight on the hitch is at or over 500lbs.

I'd like to keep my budget under $7k. Here is a list off the top of my head (I'm open to other suggestions):
    -Land Rover Discovery Series I. If I can find a rust free model. I'll have plenty of spare parts.
    -Jeep Cherokee ('97 refresh or later). I do like them, especially as they are smallish. My concern is that they aren't full time four wheel drive. I like having the added traction of all four wheel all the time.

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman
    "If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "I got one comin for ya when I get home. No don't worry, santa is not going to surprise buttsex the multi-hatted mouse." -LP
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Car(s)
    2011 Jeep Rubicon, 1982 Corolla Wagon
    I believe you could get full time 4wd on the Cherokee's. I can't remember what they called it. I think it might have been CommandTrac II.
    It was a strange system, I think it was:
    2wd
    4wd HI Fulltime
    4wd Hi Parttime
    4wd Lo

What about a ZJ or WJ Grand Cherokee? Full time 4wd, Locking center diff, the overland and certain limited models even came with frond and rear limited slip diffs.
    Last edited by JipJopJones; November 22nd, 2012 at 1:01 AM.

Eh?
    I speak in Hyperboles, please don't take offence.

Car(s)
    Honda Accord 2.2 i-Dtec Sport Estate.Hyundai Ix20
    Mitsubishi Shogun - or Pinnin what ever your market calls them.
    Toyota Landcruiser - not the Amazon - that is too big.
    Isuzu Trooper
    Nissan Patrol
    Suzuki Grand Vitara
    Hyundai Santa Fe - my fav of this list.
    Last edited by Cobol74; November 22nd, 2012 at 1:06 AM.

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    Quote Originally Posted by JipJopJones View Post
    I believe you could get full time 4wd on the Cherokee's. I can't remember what they called it. I think it might have been CommandTrac II.

What about a ZJ or WJ Grand Cherokee? Full time 4wd, Locking center diff, the overland and certain limited models even came with frond and rear limited slip diffs.
    I should have added, I cannot live with '70s/'80s interiors. This rules out the ZJ. The WJ is an option, but it is larger than my Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobol74 View Post
    Mitsubishi Shogun - or Pinnin what ever your market calls them.
    Toyota Landcruiser - not the Amazon - that is too big.
    Isuzu Trooper
    Nissan Patrol
    My Dad owned a Mitsubishi truck, I won't make that mistake. I think the Toyota's suffer the interior issues above as well as engine and rust problems if I remember correctly (I can be wrong).

"If you think about it breast implants aren't much different than braces. Their main purpose is to improve one's appearance, at least that's how it was in my case." - KaJun
    "I got one comin for ya when I get home. No don't worry, santa is not going to surprise buttsex the multi-hatted mouse." -LP
    "So the [suspension's] spring seats fail every 2 years, so what? They cost less than $250 to fix. And if a person can't afford that every two years, than maybe he shouldn't own a car at all." - _HighVoltage_ on Volvos.

Car(s)
    You have a chance of buying a car from a dry state that should have no rust at all though - Arizona springs to mind. Yes, my Fav is the Santa Fe by some margin.

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    I don't believe the Hyundai Santa Fe has a low range and lockable center diff.

The Suzuki Grand Vitara is also a bit bigger than my Disco, but it does have what I am looking for. Though it is new enough to be above $7k.
    Last edited by argatoga; November 22nd, 2012 at 1:18 AM.

Car(s)
    No OK give you that. You are really looking at Landy's and Jeeps then probably.

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    It does look like that. I wouldn't mind another LR, but the rust issues with the pre-P38 RR and pre-S3 Discos (not that I would buy a DII) are annoying. If only the English engineers knew what it was like living near an ocean where there is rain and snow.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't hard to find a Disco with engines problems here and I can always have my current one swapped in and still keep the cost under $7k. But I'd need to find a rust free one.
    Last edited by argatoga; November 22nd, 2012 at 1:30 AM.

has a fetish for terrible cars rickhamilton620's Avatar
    Car(s)
    98 Accord Ex

Re: What car should Argatoga buy next?

The 2nd and 3rd gen Explorer was available with full time 4wd. Dunno if that meets your requirements.
    "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

"
    COCOBOT WILL DESTROY YOUR CLUTCH AND ALL THAT YOU LOVE." ~ NinjaCoco

"A tad firm??? That's like saying the Titanic took on a tad of water or that being thrown into a pit of angry cobras is a tad dangerous or that bungee jumping without a bungee is a tad hazardous." ~ Spectre on the Mazda2's ride quality

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

TC
    Car(s)
    06 Si/85 Hilux
    You could get a decent 4Runner for that price. Not sure about how well a bike fits inside or what the towing stats are though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-4X...item35c1a87325

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    I'll add a '95 Range Rover Classic to my list as a lot of my Disco parts will easily swap in.

Car(s)
    87 XJ6 | 95 F350 | 86 CB700SC | 02 919
    You forgot one:

Checks all the boxes. And if you suddenly discover you do need a truck, the rear top comes off and you can do the convertible thing.

And they're cheap - not just to own, but to buy:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/3424276477.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/3423795275.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/3389673645.html
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/3412061221.html
    Last edited by Spectre; November 22nd, 2012 at 2:33 AM.

Car(s)
    2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 1988 Integra
    I was going to suggest an OJ Bronco, but then you said no 70s/80s interiors and I'm not really sure whether they have locking center diffs or not.

EDIT: Spectre Ninja'd me, lol.

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    The interior kills it for me.

Car(s)
    It has a locking center diff and a 90s interior.

Also, check the links I added above.

Edit: No, really. While the interior isn't awesome, it's not exactly made of compressed low-grade vomit blocks:

The Eddie Bauer edition ones were a bit nicer and had leather. And unlike your Disco, the controls are where they make sense and you can actually see them. (Picture from: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3360042420.html)
    Last edited by Spectre; November 22nd, 2012 at 2:37 AM.

Car(s)
    2000 Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 1988 Integra
    What about one of the very last 2 door Tahoes?

TC
    Car(s)
    06 Si/85 Hilux
    My dad had a Bronco like those, with the 5.8L motor. It was a pretty solid truck, very comfortable and capable offroad. It was a thirsty bitch though and he had a hell of a time getting rid of it, so you could probably haggle a very good deal on one. It's not a small truck though. Short wheelbase, but big everywhere else.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarFace88 View Post
    What about one of the very last 2 door Tahoes?
    Those are hard to find and most of those were 2WD.

Here's what looks like a good option - a Bronco that's been dealership serviced its entire life: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3360042420.html

By the way, the 92-97 Broncos were the ones with the interior pictured above. The older ones were the ones with an interior made of compressed vomit blocks:

Last edited by Spectre; November 22nd, 2012 at 2:47 AM.

Car(s)
    2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
    OK the 92 and newer look like an option. So it's pretty much the same as the LR system (I can use locked high or low, or low unlocked), but it also has the option to disable the front drive?

- - - Updated - - -

A 4x4 Bronco with the 7.3 would be very tempting.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by argatoga View Post
    OK the 92 and newer look like an option. So it's pretty much the same as the LR system (I can use locked high or low, or low unlocked), but it also has the option to disable the front drive?
    It depends on what engine you get - Ford used different transfer cases. Most of them are the classic part time case with the selectable configurations of RWD, 4WD High Locked, neutral and 4WD Low Locked. Hubs in the front wheel can be automatic, but they fail with age and use. Most people install manual locking hubs if their truck doesn't have it already. Swapping one for the other is not difficult or expensive.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-11-21 at 9.58.05 PM.png
Views: 346
Size:  76.4 KB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information