Dear americans, explain yourselfs on your supposed use of bags.

They all suck compared to Fairsley Foods.

We have an Aldi's in town. I've never been in it, but I heard there is a $0.25 deposit on the grocery cart.

The 'deposit' is commonplace here, only know one supermarketchain that doesn't do it, you just push a coin in a plastic lock attached to a chain attached to the other carts ( yeah, it's much simpler when you see it :p ) its more of an incentive to get people to return the cart to the store entrance and not just leave them in the parkinglot.....

As for paying for plastic bags, yes, everywhere, ask the greenfagmovement about that, it's supposed to somehow save the planet by costing us money ,like everything they come up with....

As for paying for plastic bags, yes, everywhere, ask the greenfagmovement about that, it's supposed to somehow save the planet by costing us money ,like everything they come up with....

I thought it was for similar reasons for why you have to pay for extra ketchup packets at fast food places, and the way I hear swek tell it, that wasn't because of the Green movement...

We have an Aldi's in town. I've never been in it, but I heard there is a $0.25 deposit on the grocery cart.

^ true they do have you put a quarter deposit for a cart

The 'deposit' is commonplace here, only know one supermarketchain that doesn't do it, you just push a coin in a plastic lock attached to a chain attached to the other carts ( yeah, it's much simpler when you see it :p ) its more of an incentive to get people to return the cart to the store entrance and not just leave them in the parkinglot.....

You have to put a Euro into the slot here.

But clever poeple don't use real money for that but plastic or metal chips in the size if a Euro coin.

And now look what I've got for that very purpose:

5307120037_db1ee4197a_o.jpg

I'm afraid that's one of the only leftovers, which prove that Wal Mart has ever existed here.

You can look at it as putting in a deposit (here it's $1!), or you can look at it as an incredibly cheap price for your very own shopping cart.

^ thats a good point! Think of all the things that I could use that shopping cart for. Well maybe I could free up .50 cents and get two and use them to store my summer tires in.

However most of our grocery stores don't charge for bags and most of our fast food places don't charge for ketchup either

If you bring your own bags for shopping, you won't be charged either. I use a foldable crate for shopping, btw. No need for bags.

If this Aldi place is in fact a overseas version of the same thing then neither is worth defending or shopping at
It's not a Walmart clone in concept. The stores are much smaller and the range of products too. They still concentrate on groceries, with a few extras.

But in my opinion, the second part of your sentence is entirely correct.

And having to pay for a bag is not a bad thing. Just bring your own crate/bag/backpack or whatever and save a few ressources without any loss in comfort (actually, bringing a backpack improves the comfort on the way home for me :p).

Bring a re-usable bag to Tescos etc. you get a penny off your shopping per bag used (They sell cheap re-useables too) - works well IMHO.

It's not a Walmart clone in concept. The stores are much smaller and the range of products too. They still concentrate on groceries, with a few extras.

But in my opinion, the second part of your sentence is entirely correct.

And having to pay for a bag is not a bad thing. Just bring your own crate/bag/backpack or whatever and save a few ressources without any loss in comfort (actually, bringing a backpack improves the comfort on the way home for me :p).
Walmart isn't really grocery focused at all. The ones I have been in usually have a larger clothing department than food section. More food centered would be like the wholesale club stores, the popular one in my area is called BJ's (Yes, that is really what it is called) and then sells some other things too like electronics clothes and houseware things, but they have a good 1/3 the store for food walmart maybe would have 1/5 at best.
There are a shitload of different stores of that, and lots of smaller more like walmart stores like target as well. I actually maybe set foot in walmart once a year because if I want to go to that sort of store someplace like target is a billion times better.

just here to wonder how a thread on paper bags can reach 6 pages...

wtf?

Here's how I shop :

step 1, realising I am out of food /toiletpaper/ booze
step 2 , stopping at whatever supermarket I happen to pass after that
step 3 , dash in, grab stuff, get out asap

As you can see I am not the 'organised' shopper kind who keeps bags and crates in the car, or at home, not at the least because the majority of the time I'm not even driving my personal car when I actualy stop someplace anyway. (I have better things to do with my weekends so when I shop its on a weekday)
So the whole reusable bag thing might be brilliant, it does not realy work for me.

You know what I need? someone to do my shopping for me :p

Last edited:
Walmart isn't really grocery focused at all. The ones I have been in usually have a larger clothing department than food section. More food centered would be like the wholesale club stores, the popular one in my area is called BJ's (Yes, that is really what it is called) and then sells some other things too like electronics clothes and houseware things, but they have a good 1/3 the store for food walmart maybe would have 1/5 at best.
There are a shitload of different stores of that, and lots of smaller more like walmart stores like target as well. I actually maybe set foot in walmart once a year because if I want to go to that sort of store someplace like target is a billion times better.

You've never been to a Wal-Mart Supercenter then...

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2010/12/31/WalMart2.JPG

Left entrance is the grocery side, right entrance is the normal retail side.

So the Food Center doesn't have low prices then?

They do, I guess, but it does come at the price of your soul.

And the right entrance is sometimes a Food Center.

True, I haven't been to Wal-Mart in a year or so. I was just going off of the photo.

I prefer to shop at a regional chain called Price Cutter. Mainly because the one nearest to me (and closer than any Wally World) has Mexican Coca-Cola and apple soda.

They do, I guess, but it does come at the price of your soul.

True, I haven't been to Wal-Mart in a year or so. I was just going off of the photo.

I prefer to shop at a regional chain called Price Cutter. Mainly because the one nearest to me (and closer than any Wally World) has Mexican Coca-Cola and apple soda.

You missed the joke. Twice.