The new PSP NGP (PSP2) unveiled today

M3lover

Car(s)
S204 Mercedes-Benz C200 CDI BE T
Tokyo, January 27, 2011 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced its next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which delivers the ultimate portable entertainment experience. NGP will make its debut at the end of the year 2011.

NGP is designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation?. This new system offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context, made possible by leveraging SCE?s experience from both PSP? (PlayStation?Portable) and PlayStation?3 (PS3?) entertainment systems.

Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of PlayStation?s DNA, and NGP is the latest embodiment of this vision. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to ?encounter,? ?connect,? ?discover,? ?share? and ?play? with friends wherever they are. Within the device are a range of features that provide a genuinely cutting-edge, next generation ultimate portable entertainment experience.

Specifications:
?CPU: ARM? Cortex?-A9 core (4 core)
?GPU: SGX543MP4+
?External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection) Screen
?(Touch screen): 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen (capacitive type). Rear touch pad. Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
?Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera.
?Sound: Built-in stereo speakers
?Built-in microphone
?Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
?Location: Built-in GPS
?Wi-Fi location service support
?Keys / Switches PS button
?Power button
?Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
?Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
?Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
?Right stick, Left stick
?START button, SELECT button
?Volume buttons (+/-)
?Wireless communications Mobile network connectivity (3G)
?IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
?Bluetooth? 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP?

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/m3/m3lover/2011/01/27/PSP_NGP.jpg

So, what do you think?

Great specs. and shiny looks, but has time run out for a device such as this? Will people be willing to buy this if they can just play many of the games on their smartphones? :dunno:

I think a deciding factor will be price. But with those specs I can't imagine it will much cheaper than a PS3.

It's bigger than a Game Gear.

I bought my PSP for ?270, which I admit was a ridiculous amount and I only ever bought one game... which is why the PSP died. Piracy was constant.

Like you say all smartphones have most of this tech, the OLED screen will look beautiful, and the unit itself looks great. But this being Sony, I see a $400 price tag. How will 3G work? No-one is gonna buy this and a $20 a month connection.

Apparently the GPU is also a quad core... though I guess they just quaded up on rendering pipelines by copy an pasting

Anyway Im excited. Shame we have to wait till end of the year to see one in the UK

http://www.trustedreviews.com/video-games/news/2011/01/27/Sony-PSP2-Announced---Called-NGP/p1

Besides, who ever makes a fully functional fallout style game for a handheld device first is gonna get my money. It would be awesome if a device like this can access your save games from the PS3 version and let you continue playing when your out and about and have 30mins to kill.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a rear touch panel works.

Sony-NGP-Gallery-3.jpg

The problem is i'm a sucker for a Sony product and for anything Uncharted...
Uncharted gameplay

No TV out?

Last edited:
The rear touch panel is brilliant - touch screen without blocking the screen with your fingers!

I really really like this hardware, but as others have said, it will likely be expensive and there won't be a lot of games for it. So massive want, but unlikely to buy.

It's a sealed unit, no battery change for you... Sony say it's because of the rear touch panel. :rolleyes:
No, it's because now no-one can make a pandora battery. They're taking this piracy out from the get go. They can't let this get like the PSP 1.

It's a sealed unit, no battery change for you... Sony say it's because of the rear touch panel. :rolleyes:
No, it's because now no-one can make a pandora battery. They're taking this piracy out from the get go. They can't let this get like the PSP 1.

Except making a pandora battery involved pulling apart the hardware anyway. If it's serviceable, someone will figure it out.

Another PSP? Really?

I bought my original PSP on release day and, like others, only ever bought a handfull of games. I didn't see the point of the Slim&Lite or the Go, so I certainly don't see the point in bringing out new hardware of an essentially defunct console. I will admit though that I would still be playing Worms: Open Warefare if I knew where the UMD was.

IMO this will end the same way as DS vs PSP, all the better serious games are on the Sony product, but everyone and their mom ends up buying a DS

while it looks impressive, i seriously expect the 3DS to slaughter the NGP. As Blayde said, Nintendo have the casual gamer crowd covered and the PSP always suffered from people not really sure what it was. if it played games, UMD films (which seems to have died the way of mini disc) and the games on the PSP were never that great. i've only seriously played one game on my PSP and that was Crisis Core. it will take a lot more than that to really get me to want this.

No, I think you could flash it too.

You could (with some limitations IIRC), but even if you take that away, it wasn't the only method. And who knows what people are going to come up with.

I don't like that the battery is enclosed, but as long as it is reasonable to remove it (even if not supported) its not a big deal. I would hate for it to be like the iPhone.

But I guess this is all moot because I really don't see myself buying one. I've seen concepts of a PSP Android phone thrown around though..... that is intriguing.

The PSP phone is real and will be released this year.

I will buy it if it gets pirated, like the PS3. I predict a $400 price tag for the cheapest model (if there are several), or an all-round $600.

I'm glad I sold my PSP Slim a few months back. My guess is that the pricing of this new PSP will be around $300 or more. You do get a lot for your money, but I'd think long and hard about buying one. IF they do release a Gran Turismo Mobile 2 with some proper GT gameplay, I might consider buying one used.