Egyptian Protests

The Swedish foreign correspondent for Swedish Television, Bert Sundstr?m has been kidnapped in Egypt. An editor at SVT called Sundtr?m to get a report from Tahrir Square and a voice answered Sundstr?m's phone and said in Arabic: "Your man is with the Egyptian government, with the military. If you, children of a whore, want him, come and get him." Currently SVT suspects that Sundstr?m has been arrested by the Egyptian military, but no one knows for sure what has happened to Sundstr?m.

If the international community decides that Egypt is without any law or government they might just go in and sort it out themselves, kidnapping foreign citizens will just get the world involved sooner and with more force.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110203/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_journalists

Journalists attacked by mobs, detained in Cairo

CAIRO ? Foreign journalists were beaten with sticks and fists by pro-government mobs on Thursday, and dozens were detained by security forces. The U.S. condemned what it called the "systematic targeting" of the reporters, photographers and film crews who have brought searing images of Egyptian protests to the world.

Foreign photographers reported attacks by supporters of President Hosni Mubarak near Tahrir Square, the scene of vicious battles between Mubarak supporters and protesters demanding he step down after nearly 30 years in power. The Egyptian government has accused media outlets of being sympathetic to protesters who want Mubarak to quit now rather than complete his term as he has pledged.

Among the many detained were correspondents for The New York Times, Washington Post and Al-Jazeera. Human rights groups said many activists were taken away after a raid by the military police on a legal center in Cairo.

"This is a dark day for Egypt and a dark day for journalism," said Joel Simon, executive director of the Committee to Protect Journalists. "Egypt is seeking to create an information vacuum that puts it in the company of the world's worst oppressors."

CPJ said some state-owned television and private stations owned by businessmen loyal to Mubarak had been portraying journalists as part of plots to destabilize Egypt.

It is quite clear now that the protesters were never in control. Mubarak hoped the situation would diffuse and it didn't, so the heavy hand is coming down.

BBC and Al-Jazeera had their camera/broadcasting equipment seized by the government too.

They are obviously trying the Iranian approach and hope to cut off outside eyes before really bringing the fist down.

The Swedish journalist has been found in a hospital with severe stabwounds.

The BBC has been reporting the harrassment, "arrests" and beating up of foreign press reporting on the Ciaro square. This is not a good development and shows the pro-Mubarak crowd in an even worse light. Their belief is the forreign press are biased against them and are not so used to a free media exposing their dubious actions.

Reports from Alexandria are worse, with only two or three teams on the ground reporting as they are easliy spotted by the pro-Mubarak groups, whereas there is or was some safety in numbers in Tahrir square.

We may end up with no on the spot reporting and the long view feeds being cut on Friday when or if things kick off then.

I know how they could retake the canal without the arab world getting angry.

First, Israel can attack Egypt. Then the British and French can invade Egypt and secure the canal. If they say they are peace keepers, no one will understand anything.

Oh, wait..

2rub7eoeem.jpg

First, Israel can attack Egypt. Then the British and French can invade Egypt and secure the canal. If they say they are peace keepers, no one will understand anything.

Oh, wait..

If at first you don't succeed. :p

I am pretty sure a good chunk of the Arab world want to see the canal remain open. It would hurt their economies too much if it were closed.

Apparently Mubarak says that if he quit now, Egypt would be in chaos.

HELLO! LOOK OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW!

Proof that he is blind to what is happening in "his" country and needs to GTFO.

He isn't. He's doing what upper class twats have always done, he's keeping up appearances.

07-minister.jpg

I was thinking more like " It was thiiiiis big".

These fuckers are driving through protesters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thIkd4I2xm0&feature=player_embedded&skipcontrinter=1#[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWOK0Lfh7w&feature=player_embedded&skipcontrinter=1[/youtube]

From the comments of 2nd vid:

ATTENTION: I'm currently living in Cairo. Here is the situation, this van is part of the NDP (national democratic party/Cairo police) The Van was making its way to Tahrir Square and purposely chose this route to create? conflict for the protesters. This is NOT the only video proof of this happening and i can link you many more scenes where police cars are running over and KILLING innocent protesters

There are not enough curses in all the known languages of this world.

Mr. Mubarak, take note: the last dictator to order vehicles to run over his own people ended up machine-gunned to the ground in a cold back yard of a military base about 4 days later.

I'm a pacifist and even I'd kill whoever was responsible with a blunt rock.

If you live in a city long enough you get to know the type of vehicles used by different agencies, their marking, equipment and plates.

Oh, wait..
That Dick Head Antony Eden's fault. Still they nationalised significant commercial interests of the French and British governments and companies without compensation, so we should have treated them - via the UN obviously, like the US treats Cuba - obviously.

Last edited: