Purchasing a car in the US, advice appreciated

flyingfridge said:
I don't know why you guys like those Scion things so much. They look gayer than the New Beetle and about as useful. They are also incredibly WANK when modified.

Did you know that used Scions sell for more than new ones? They are also selling like hotcakes. I wonder why...

PJ-AF903_HOTOFFLOT09072005210015.gif

BlaRo said:
Don't recommend a Scion to v0od0o. He actually knows stuff about cars.
Z Draci said:
Guys, he isn't a teenager.
He has money and some dignity for himself.

Thanks guys, I was about to get offended :lol:

And I seem to be the only one on this entire forum that knows a G35 isn't a 350Z...all coming from a Scion owner with no dignity.

lol, no easy, noone said scion owner have no dignity, you're probably much younger than I am so it could suit you.

But I can't show up in a scion on the MS campus. Granted, I can go by bicycle, but just not a Scion. I don't want a Scion just like I don't want an S-class or a Maybach right now. It's not my age :)

cvg said:
BlaRo said:
Yes, cvg, we know what a Scion looks like. A 103bhp box with 13" plastic wheels that are just begging for a set of tacky spinnaz and NAWZ stickers and 50 Cent pumping out of da ICEE in the back. Remember, the blue shift knob adds 20bhp. :roll:

Don't recommend a Scion to v0od0o. He actually knows stuff about cars.

I don't remember posting any pictures of an xB as your described. In SoCal we actually know how to make a car look clean.

CLEAN? Bah. That aint clean. That, is WANK.

This, is clean http://img381.imageshack.**/img381/6528/gd20th.jpg

+1 for not getting a mini.

Chances are you'll spend some time on 4+ lane freeways surrounded by huge SUVs. It's pretty daunting on a bike.

cvg said:
flyingfridge said:
I don't know why you guys like those Scion things so much. They look gayer than the New Beetle and about as useful. They are also incredibly WANK when modified.

Did you know that used Scions sell for more than new ones? They are also selling like hotcakes. I wonder why...

PJ-AF903_HOTOFFLOT09072005210015.gif
That's because people are suckers for marketing. ;)

I'm just messin' with you. I don't hate you because you bought a Scion; I just personally can't stand the things myself. Plus, I don't want to bicker about it when we're supposed to be helping v0od0o buy a new car.

And the G35 and the 350Z are built on the same platform, even though one's a Skyline and one's a Z-car. In addition, the G35 is a 2+2 while the 350Z is a 2-seater.

a couple coments about the mini, Not mine but my mother's that I borrowed quite a bit while my car was in the shop.
(2002 auto non s, deffinate chick car)

From my extended borrowning experience

Many have mentioned that it doesnt fit in and can be a pain to drive next to larger vehichles here in america. I must say that I didn't feel that way at all driving it around for a week or so. It feels solid as a rock passing a tracktor trailer on the highway or sitting next to a raised dodge deisle in the middle of townl. The car realy feels quite big inside, the engineers did some amazing stuff and all I can say is that driving it only gives more confidence in it. I am a rather large fellow myself (6,1 250 lbs) and It feels much larger to me when than sitting inside my 97 acura cl which is basically the same exact size as a 2 door 96 accord. If you want to be scared driving a car in america, try out my 74 vw type 181 for a week.

Other stuff
Though there is the issue of build quality on the interior, though it is a bmw in most places you look, the interior isn't quite up to snuf in comparisan to my dad's 98 740, The metal looking plastic trim for example, and she had to take it in to bmw and have them fix a rattle inside that dash twice (which they were more than happy to do for free, along with th software updates, faulty window regulator, and a rattle from the rear hatch)

Anywho, i've asked her many times and she just loves the car, the millage isn't that great though for a 1.8 i think (25). She is pleased enough with it that she is moving up to a manual S in october.

*continues lurking*

Wow, thanks a lot for the extensive review. And for this to be your first post ever here is really touching.

This is definitely helpful, I'm gonna arrange for some test drives when I'm there (in a week hopefully) and the mini will definitely be on the list.

Oh and welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay :)

Thanks again :thumbsup:

wow Stapler... first post in 9months... I guess you're probably the ultimate lurker :p ... and v0od0o... good luck with moving and choosing a car :D

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
The made me think of you Voodoo. :D

LOL!
That would make me programming Capitalism then :lol:

and @andy, thanks a million! your support really does make a difference, thanks guys :)

I am now exactly 12 hours away from my plane departure time. and I should be in Seattle 18 hours after that.

Will update you with my news as soon as I can, and maybe post some reviews after I test drive a few cool cars over there :)

I'm kinda scared. Wish me luck guys.

See you in a couple of days then v0od0o once you are on OUR continent ;).

Thanx guys for all the warm wishes! you're the best.

I'm in Redmond, Washington, USA :D

I had a nice flight, been here for a couple of days now but it's only my 2nd time getting online, had to get a wifi card first.

I already went car shopping today! And drove a C230 Kompressor Sport sedan (my friend is thinking about getting one), and for myself a 2005 (but new) 1.8T Audi TT coupe!! That was a blast, I'd written about both in detail on my blog that you can check out here: http://v0od0o.blogspot.com

And tomorrow 10am Pacific time I have an appointment to drive a 3.0 z4 with sports package :mrgreen:

I am falling in love with this place :lol: