The allure of Jaguar, I am powerless

Zuhaib

Car(s)
19 BMW X3
So as many of you know from my other post I has an S-Type V8 and hated it. The thing broke down all the time and I was dead happy the day it was traded in for the S Class.
Now when I was shopping for the replacement car, I looked at the XJ at the time and I could not bring myself to buy it. The memory of the S-Type was very fresh so even tho it was cheaper then the rest i could not do it.
So today I descided to watch some old top gears while doing my bills online and wated 2x04 which was there ep about Jaguars and on there they had the "new" XJR. And as I saw JC drive I just could not think to myself how great that car looked. I just was falling in love, having that moment going over my head that i made the wrong choice with the S Class.
Is there anyone else feel that way about Jaguar? As much as i want to hate them, as much as i was beaten up by them, i just want to own another one... Even if i know its going to break down.
Sigh.

Q: Why don't they make computers in the UK?

A: They haven't found a way for them to leak oil... yet!

*rimshot*

I'm the same way with my Disco. There are days when I want to push it off a cliff. But then there are other days when there isn't anything else I'd rather be driving. It seems to me that British cars have something that so many cars these days lack: character. I swear that my Disco has a distinct personality. It seems that if I don't treat it right that it gets mad and uncooperative. Luckily I've got a small fleet of vehicles here at home for my Rover's bad days. If I lived on my own having the Rover would be an impossibility. No joke, she's even got a 'time of the month' in which she's especially troublesome, usually the third week of every month. I suppose the older British cars are like some vacation spots: nice to visit but you wouldn't want to live with them.

Why not the new XKR ?

Sexy thing with Senta rima on it. (ala TG car)

Yes, I feel the same about Jags. Jags are my preferred brand of luxury cars.

Is there anyone else feel that way about Jaguar? As much as i want to hate them, as much as i was beaten up by them, i just want to own another one... Even if i know its going to break down.
Sigh.

*Raises his hand carefully*

Oh yes....as much as I know they are not that reliable, not that spacious (XJ), not that cheap to run I am still considering of buying a used XJ from 1995'ish in a couple of years time. They just looks sooooo good and unlike an S-Class (or any other merc for that matter) or 7-series (or any other BMW for that matter) a Jag won't make you look like a complete twat who buys a car because "it is white and looks pretty, oh and I have a tiny penis".

A black XJ(R) with white leather interior and some nice rims is just.....I know a 5-series would be better to drive, it would be more reliable and all that....an Alfa 156 would so great or a W124 300/500E Merc would be bombproof AND quick. But I still can't get over the fact how good I would look climbing out of a shining black XJ. And what I appreciate in a car very, very much is the party piece of all Jaguars: they are soooo relaxing and nice to drive. Not fun, not sporty, just nice, comfortable and relaxing. AND if you feel like it (especially with XJR/XKR) you just floor it and everyone else will be eating your exhausts.

God I want one...

Mine as well, only competition to the XJ in that segment for me would be the A8.

Yup. Don't know why, but neither the last S-class (yach) or the 7-series makes my boat float. S-class just looks like a piece of cheap plastic bundled together. The S-class before it looked classic, I liked it, the new one just looks wrong. As for the 7-series, it looks.. different? I like different. But still.. doesn't float my boat.

As for the Audi or the Jag, both look great. As estethics are important to my choice, those two are the only choices in my book. Unless we're talking about 5-series terretory, then I'd eeeither have the A6 or the C6. I love the C6. :)

I loved the E38 7-Series which explains why the E65 didn't grow on me, it'd be hard to chose between the old 7 Series and an XJ, don't know with which I'd end up with (theoretical question anyway atm :) ). And yes, I have to agree that the C6 is very interesting in a positive way!

I like jags as well, not perhaps the x-type but rest of them just seem so prestigious compared to their rivals. I adore the XJ:s as well, I'd love to take test drive one day.

Q: Why don't they make computers in the UK?

A: They haven't found a way for them to leak oil... yet!

*rimshot*

It looks like there is hope for the British in the PC industry after all...
Oil submerged PC :lol:
[youtube]kMf3qaXfJ7g[/youtube]

I much prefer "If the British don't make it, it's because they haven't figured out how to make it leak oil" :p

As far as jags go. I like their external looks, I'd love a V12. But that whole reliability thing, and interiors that look straight out of 1927 keep me far away from them.

I feel that way about old Bentleys and Rolls Royces as well. I would love to own an old Bentley T2 or Rolls Silver Shadow. But I know that even though it would only cost me about $15,000 to buy, it would be hell to run and maintain. I was talking to a gas station owner who was trying to sell this early 80's Silver Shadow II for just $13,000.

http://img78.imageshack.**/img78/2229/rollsroycesilvershadowise8.jpg

And it looks amazing! Apart from the interior that probably needs to be re-upholstered, the faulty suspension and some unknown engine quirks. James May explains it pretty well in his first review for TG.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yax4C1Xvmzg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sorry to go so off topic but I feel like this is what you are getting at.

When British cars break down consistently, it's because they have "character"...yet when American cars break down, it's because they're poorly made by overpaid union workers?

:?

Contrast is what gives it character. It can't *all* be rubbish.

I like the new S-Class, but not in the same way that I would like an XJ... there is an unmistakable allure to owning a big Jag.

When British cars break down consistently, it's because they have "character"...yet when American cars break down, it's because they're poorly made by overpaid union workers?

:?

This would be because the Brits are actually trying to make a good car, while the UAW twits slap the cars together and then do such things as enclosing a note that says "rattles, don't it?"

Such derision does not engender love of such a product.

That said, another reason is that British cars are usually a delight to drive when they are working. Traditionally, American cars have not been such... To the point where some would say that the driving experience doesn't change whether the car is working or not....

This sounds like a Meeting of JA(Jaguars Anonymous)

I really want an Older XJR with the supercharged Inline six cylinder. I know I would have to fix it all the time but I wouldn't drive it much and I can fix most things on my own. I would also like a newer XKR convertiable and a Super V8 XJ. Those should be much more reliable with as good as Jaguar has gotten they shouldn't give me any problems.

My neighbor across the street has this gorgeous XJ8. It's a little older, but it has a great set of stock wheels on it and it's a fantastic cranberry red.

Drool.

i feel that way about older Alfas sometimes, and then othertimes i could care less about them. I think the fact that owning one in salt-ridden michigan is too much of a turn-off, i don't wan't another rusty car

the only time i hated something but still kind of liked it was when i played Counter-strike, then i eventually realized that i only liked it because other people did (friends etc), once that happened ive never looked back, that game was a huge waste of time

if for some reason you understand Jags attitude and really relate to it, then i think maybe you should just keep buying depreciated used ones until you find one that doesn't break so much. I really don't understand why one would buy any luxury car (especially Jags) new unless they were really well off financially

Last edited: