Remeber the Enzo that Crashed?

I'm not Takumi

Car(s)
Toyota AE86 Corolla
No, not the one by the Z-list Eddie Griffin. The one by Stefan Eriksson.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ferrari11aug11,0,3724040.story?coll=la-home-center

A 17-month search for a mysterious witness to a high-speed crash that left a $1-million Ferrari Enzo in pieces in Malibu has ended with the arrest of a 26-year-old Marina del Rey man.

Trevor Michael Karney was in custody Friday on misdemeanor charges of drunk driving, resisting arrest by delaying a police officer and giving false information to a police officer, along with a possible federal immigration violation, Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.

Authorities believe that Karney is the fictitious "Dietrich" who fled after the spectacular Feb. 21, 2006, crash that left the Ferrari -- one of only 400 ever built -- strewn in pieces over 1,200 feet of Pacific Coast Highway.

Investigators allege that he hid out in Ireland before recently sneaking back into the U.S. through Mexico.

thats cool, but i thought the blood on the airbad matched that weird dutch guys or something?

Whoa, Dietrich really exists?

Police are saying he was the passenger in the car - presumably the charges of drunk driving mentioned are related to a different event.

Full story:
A 17-month search for a mysterious witness to a high-speed crash that left a $1-million Ferrari Enzo in pieces in Malibu has ended with the arrest of a 26-year-old Marina del Rey man.

Trevor Michael Karney was in custody Friday on misdemeanor charges of drunk driving, resisting arrest by delaying a police officer and giving false information to a police officer, along with a possible federal immigration violation, Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.

Authorities believe that Karney is the fictitious "Dietrich" who fled after the spectacular Feb. 21, 2006, crash that left the Ferrari -- one of only 400 ever built -- strewn in pieces over 1,200 feet of Pacific Coast Highway.

Investigators allege that he hid out in Ireland before recently sneaking back into the U.S. through Mexico.

Sheriff's deputies estimated that the Ferrari was going 120 mph when it slammed into a power pole and split in half. The driver -- Bo Stefan Eriksson -- escaped with a bloody nose.

Initially, Eriksson, a Swedish businessman and playboy, told investigators that a German he knew only as Dietrich had been driving. He ran up a hill toward a canyon road and disappeared after the crash, Eriksson said.

Deputies responding to the crash encountered Karney at the scene. He told them he had been traveling along PCH in a Mercedes at the time and also saw Dietrich fleeing.

Authorities used a helicopter and a search-and-rescue team but never found any sign of Dietrich.

"Maybe the 'driver' had a friend who picked him up. Maybe he thumbed a ride. Maybe he was a ghost," Sheriff's Sgt. Phil Brooks said at the time.

Turns out he was Karney, deputies now say, and he was riding in the Ferrari with Eriksson, not driving it.

"They're thinking that Dietrich is him. They're thinking Karney is really Dietrich," Deputy Oscar Butao said Friday.

The investigation indicated that Karney was videotaping Eriksson driving at speeds of up to 162 mph as the Ferrari roared north on PCH near Decker Road about 6 a.m.

After the crash splintered the bright-red sports car, Karney reportedly borrowed a passerby's cellphone and sat in the front seat of that motorist's car while he made a call. Later, the motorist told authorities he found a loaded clip for an automatic pistol under the seat.

Karney, who had told authorities that he lived on a yacht in Marina del Rey, disappeared after the crash. Investigators found that the luxury boat belonged to Carl Freer, a Swede who was a partner of Eriksson in a defunct video game company called Gizmundo.

Eriksson accepted a plea deal in November, pleading no contest to two counts of embezzlement related to his dealings with exotic cars and one count of illegal possession of a gun. An auto theft charge was dismissed and Eriksson was sentenced to three years in prison.

Sheriff's officials said Karney was arrested Wednesday at a Marina del Rey apartment complex.

He was expected to make a court appearance Monday on the drunk-driving charge, which is unrelated to the Ferrari incident, prosecutors said.

Karney was being held in lieu of $60,000 bail.

I thought the car, along with a whole bunch of others, were stolen and illegally imported?

I thought the car, along with a whole bunch of others, were stolen and illegally imported?

Illegally imported, yes. He imported it and his wife's SLR for "off road use only", thus being able to bypass a lot of paper work which would allow Scotland Yard officials to nab him on charges of...

...auto theft. The reason for this was that his cars were not owned by him, but rather his company. The company went down, he took the cars, but because he never sold the cars to himself (transferred the title, etc) the cars were still the property of the company. Thus, theft.

Ferrari doesn't have any control of who buys their cars second hand...

I thought you had to sell back to Ferrari if you were selling an Enzo? Then they'd only sell it on/allow it to be sold on to another Ferrari approved brownnose. Er, I mean, customer that had proven their worthyness.

But they do try to pick buyers who will not sell them right away.

well that didn't work at all, i know for a fact Ralph Lauren recently sold (one of?) his Enzo to a mothers boyfriend of a friend of mine in detroit (my friend and his mother are middle class, somehow his mother became entangled with this really really really wealthy guy), and i'm not pulling that out of my ass nomatter how stupid it sounds

as well i believe Nick Mason is or was also thinking about selling it and just keeping huge classics like his Mclaren F1 and they Veyron he was on hold for

Ferrari picks people who have other Ferrari supercars like the F50 and F40 so that they don't go and buy something else.

well that didn't work at all, i know for a fact Ralph Lauren recently sold (one of?) his Enzo to a mothers boyfriend of a friend of mine in detroit (my friend and his mother are middle class, somehow his mother became entangled with this really really really wealthy guy), and i'm not pulling that out of my ass nomatter how stupid it sounds

as well i believe Nick Mason is or was also thinking about selling it and just keeping huge classics like his Mclaren F1 and they Veyron he was on hold for

Didn't a german prostitute manage to get one as well?

I thought you had to sell back to Ferrari if you were selling an Enzo? Then they'd only sell it on/allow it to be sold on to another Ferrari approved brownnose. Er, I mean, customer that had proven their worthyness.
There are seven of them for sale at Mobile.de as I type this...

afaik you sign a contract saying that for the first year or two of ownership, you can only sell back to an official Ferrari dealer for no more than what you payed for to promote loyalty and(mostly)to prevent people selling cars for 100k above list to the ones who don't want to wait 2 years. I think if you break the contract you lose factory support or something of the sort

Well looks like he has been freed. Seems pretty light for that much fraud:
The man who launched a thousand memes after crashing a Ferrari Enzo on the PCH that wasn't technically his -- was just released from a California jail where he's spent the past two years on charges of embezzlement in November 2006, days after a jury had failed to agree a verdict on charges he had stolen two Ferrari Enzos and a top-end Mercedes-Benz. Stefan Eriksson, the former Gizmondo executive, who goes by other names including "Fat Steffe" (in Sweden), "Ferrari Steffen" (in the US) and "The Evil One Who Destroys Beautiful Things" (in Maranello, Modena Italy), was transferred to a detention facility outside of LA on December 13th as he awaits transport...

...to either Sweden or Germany, where his wife and daughter have their home. No word on whether he'll also receive his license back -- but we're hoping he won't. We can't bear to see another Enzo bite the dust. Haven't we already been through enough? We mean, come on -- we're still waiting to see Dietrich/Karney go to jail and don't even get us started on Eddie Griffin -- we're still of the opinion there should be a death penalty for doing what he did. (Hat tip to JanTheMan!) [thelocal.se]
http://jalopnik.com/347072/hide-the-enzos-stefan-eriksson-goes-free