A crap is (going to be) reborn

yuchungman

my dad just gave me his old Acer TravelMate 2303 laptop. The monitor of this thing is dying, with vertical lines on the screen. I've plugged with an external monitor and it shows no defects. So it's probably the screen's problem, not the IGP

What I want to do is to make it a back up computer at home so that if someone is using the desktop computer, I can still go online or use it to display past papers(since I'm sitting for 2009 HKALE)

there is a problem though, I'm not sure whether my ISP plan allows me to have 2 computers going online simultaneously. If that's true, does it mean that even if I buy a USB wireless NIC, I still can't get my laptop working?

Will it really take that long to save up another 20 dollars? I mean, if it's really that bad for you maybe you should sell the lappy.

umm im pretty sure ebay or craigslist (craplist) will have second hand routers for less than $20, heck jus get a wired one, those things are dirt cheap. infact id willing take a bag of top soil in exchange for one.

on a side not, our ISP virgin supply you with a netgear wireless router right out the box...how cool is that! thanks Mr Branson!

Since you are in HK, I would suggest going to "Golden" in Sham Shui Po, you may be able to find some cheap no name router for around US$20 (but don't expect it to be reliable). If that doesn't work out, and your desktop has a WIFI adapter, may be you can use Window's Internet Connection Sharing and basically turn it into a WIFI router. That being said, with the concrete buildings in HK, you may not get that good WIFI signal by using ICS and you will have to leave your desktop on 24/7 if you want to use your laptop.