CAD/CAM

Dann

Car(s)
VW Golf
I noticed that there are quite a few engineering students around here, so I was wondering, what kind of CAD/CAM program do you guys use?
I'm broadening my horizon to see what else is out there, because the one I'm using now can do everything you want, it just takes forever! (pro/engineer).

Soooo what programs do you use, and more important, do you like them. :)

I used to be all involved with that stuff, and I used AutoCAD R11-R14. after that i believe they went by year, so R15 = 2000, etc. so you can tell i havent been in the game in a long while.

Let's please Derek here, since no woman will ever:

I use Autocad 2007 in connection with Pro/ENGINEER, which, although having many small faults is brilliant.

* IceBone has a cigarette.

Knock it off, Derek.

My "better half" uses (and teaches a class on) Revit, but she's an architectural designer...

SolidWorks for FSAE and Autocad 2007 for the rest.

I learned both Hysys and Aspen Plus in uni. The interface for Hysys is nicer and more intuitive, and I really like its method of continuous solving rather than Aspen Plus's batch-run solving, but Aspen Plus gives you more control over equipment specifications for each unit. For example, in Aspen Plus, you can directly specify the pressure of a flash drum, in Hysys, the closest I could figure out how to do that was to add a throttling valve before the flash drum and add an adjustment loop to that to change its pressure drop automatically to ensure the flash drum stayed at whatever pressure I set it to.

Personaly I use Pro/E for everyday models. It's not very useful for a quick model but on the otherhand, it never let me down. Learning SolidWorks at the moment. Looks great and it's very easy to make some strenght analysis with it.
Nice to see there are more people using pro/e, I always thought the whole world was using autocad.

That Hysys and Aspen sound interesting, is it for like chemical processes or something? (never heard of it :p)

Solidworks & GibbsCAM

It's hard to beat for fast modeling and output directly to a machine control for low-volume production.

Last edited:
Trained in school on AutoCad and Rhino, worked on AutoCad and Inventor for five years with a little Catia.

Switched majors to accounting.

Inventor mostly, also AutoCAD, Pro/Engineer and little Vertex. (and Fempro is a work of devil)

For CAD,

AutoCAD (back in the day)
Solidworks (preferred)
I know how to use Pro/E as well, but I can't stand it.

For FEA, I stick with FEMAP and Abaqus CAE. Hypermesh is OK but i'm not too familiar with it.

Solid works, Solid Edge

I've also used Fluid Works in conjunction with Solid Works, its great for Aero analysis