Upgrade the Stig for TGUS?

alaskarat

Car(s)
2004 F150, 2010 F150, 2005 Aveo, 2005 Tahoe
As we all know the Stig is one of the core elements to TGUK. As such his character was added to the TGUS format. This begs the question; does the UK model of the Stig work for a U.S. program? The UK Stig to me anyways, seems to be modeled on the Jeremy Clarkson perception of a Formula One racing driver. Do Americans understand F1 or even know their drivers? When I asked my fellow workers (Aircraft Mechanics) who are all NASCAR fans what F1 racing is the results were not very promising. Examples:
Q: What do you guys think about F1 Racing?
R: What is F1.
QR: F1 is Formula One Racing.
R: Is that what they call that racing in North Pole (The city near Fairbanks).
Q: Do you guys know who Jackie Stewart is?
R: Isn?t that comedian that talks about politics?
QR: No that would be Jon Stewart.
So then how do we make an American Stig other then Stig?s American Cousin Fat Stig? I am not sure, I am not even sure if he should wear plan white. Many a thought have run through my head how to make a NASCAR looking Stig, Moonshine Running Stig, or maybe a Redneck Stig I don?t know so I thought I would throw this out and see what comes about.

You haven't been paying attention, have you? Tell the truth.

On TGUK, references to Clarkson's idea of idiot savant race drivers are constant. On TGUS, no comments have been made about the Stig except that he is a racing driver who is masked and drives cars on the TG track.

None of the Uk Stig's eccentricities or British or Clarkson's stereotyping of race drivers have made it to North America.

On TGUS, no comments have been made about the Stig except that he is a racing driver who is masked and drives cars on the TG track.

Too bad they've pretty much squandered Stig on TGUSA. All they've done with him is....give him a few laps and give him an out-of-character intro. There is no mystery, no mystique, no catchy/humorous lines....pretty much US Stig is nothing more than the cheapest trim level of a car available.

You haven't been paying attention, have you? Tell the truth.

On TGUK, references to Clarkson's idea of idiot savant race drivers are constant. On TGUS, no comments have been made about the Stig except that he is a racing driver who is masked and drives cars on the TG track.

None of the Uk Stig's eccentricities or British or Clarkson's stereotyping of race drivers have made it to North America.

Touche' Beech18 you have made a most excellent observation. Then perhaps TGUS should start from scratch and start molding an American Stig. To have a masked driver named Stig driving cars around a track is not that interesting unless he has a character.

Too bad they've pretty much squandered Stig on TGUSA.

Agree. I think they need to use Stig the same way that TGUK used Ben Collins/Stig in the last few series he was in: as a sort of angry, silent host who got stuck with the crap jobs. He was brilliant in the 4 way race across London, and his other appearances (dropping off the electric car Geoff, driving the Caterham across England while the boys tried to build a Caterham quicker, etc). A lot of this was Ben Collins (who can definitely pull off the strong, silent type), but the character itself has become iconic (and not incidentally sells a lot of merchandise) and could easily become so here. But they have to use him more, and I'm not sure that there is the will to do so with this show. I hope the producers come to realize there is a lot of merchandising dollars that could be made just by giving Stig more camera time and some silly, mythic descriptions.

Honestly, they might look into hiring Ben Collins; he's not doing a whole hell of a lot right now anyway.

There could very be more "character" opportunities with our current miniature Stig.

Could you expand upon miniature Stig that went right over my head (which is not all that uncommon).

LOL this thought just went flashing through my head. How about the US Stig having a Stig mobile something along the lines of the car the Munsters used to have. He could pull up in it whenever it fit in. I don?t know just a silly thought.
MunsterKoach2c.jpg

*coughcoughTannerFoustcoughcough*

American Stig's backstory:

He was found walking about aimlessly by Major Jessie Marcel who bumped into "him" on July 3rd, 1947 while repairing a flat tire on the outskirts of Roswell, New Mexico. Later, Major Marcel recalled the stranger when his commanding officer General Roger M. Ramey proclaimed the newspaper report of the Air Force recovering a flying disk completely incorrect. Sensing a connection between this stranger and the odd events of July 2nd, Marcel decided to offer the stranger accommodations in a spare bedroom of his home.

The stranger always wore and refused to a remove a hood on his head and exhibited an extreme sensitivity to light. The small stature of the visitor enabled Marcel to dress him in his young son's clothing while a the addition motorcycle helmet and dark glasses sold the ruse of the visitor being a handicapped nephew to the local school board.

After hiding in plain sight in the Roswell school system, Marcel introduced his guest to an old friend, Kelly Johnson. Johnson immediately recognized the guest's remarkable abilities and invited him to live on a remote airbase Lockheed was building in the Nevada desert where his odd appearance and behaviors would be completely ignored by odd appearing and behaving aerospace geeks and test pilots.

The stranger lived and worked at Groom Lake participating in the development of America's most secret aircraft: the U2, A12, YF12, SR71, F117 and B2 just to name a few. During this time, radar techs at the base inadvertently fired a long range radar while the antenna dish was in its horizontal storage position. Fearing they had fatally irradiated a man walking across its path, the radar boys were flabbergasted that the man, our stranger, was completely unaffected by the powerful radar waves. Subsequent medical testing revealed the stranger's body had somehow absorbed the waves turning their energy into caloric fuel. Scientists used the strangers DNA to develop anti radar coatings for America's stealth aircraft.

For decades the stranger was able live "out in the open" at the highly secret Area 51 lending his considerable talents to the defense of the United States. It was ideal. Everyone who came into contact with the stranger held the highest security clearances and the base was the most secure place on earth. Then, the unimaginable happened: America elected a president so liberal our defense black budget was cut 60% and Area 51 personnel were being laid off.

It became apparent that the stranger could no longer enjoy the security of a secret government base and the prospect of exposing the general population to the stranger was fast becoming a worry for the base commander. A worry until base security reported that the commander's clerk had been caught using an unsecured internet connection.

It turned out the clerk was a fan of a pokey British motoring programme called Top Gear and was downloading illegal torrents of the English broadcasts. One of the Top Gear hosts, Jeremy Clarkson, had developed a race car driver character for the show. A driver who never spoke and never removed his helmet. The popularity of Top gear grew and this race driver character, called the Stig, was filmed all over England, then Europe. Soon the Stig was even filmed in Africa and the United States.

The clerk mentioned that a US version of Top gear was being produced in the U.S.....

It was obvious! Our stranger could not be seen in public without hiding his appearance and his sensitive vision required wearing dark glasses 24/7. Not exactly the easiest thing to pull off in open society. But, what if American Top Gear producers could be blackmailed, err "persuaded" to include a Stig on TGUS? An American Stig who always wears a a helmet and reflective visor 24/7. An American Stig, who through the promotional efforts of History and the BBC, would be able to finally hide in plain sight.

Hide in plain sight. Just like the United States' alien technology reverse engineering programs have been hiding in plain sight in the Nevada desert for over fifty years through the UFO disinformation promoted by the United states government.......

Last edited:
Many a thought have run through my head how to make a NASCAR looking Stig

Irony: Ben collins, the most popular and iconic stig, is a british nascar driver.

Last edited:
Flying Saucer

Stranger wearing headgear

New Mexico

Stranger goes to school

Area 51

Sterilized by radar

Bored

Watches Top Gear

Get?s job on Tog Gear America

Arrested by ICE

Deported to Mexico

Opens an export company called La Familia Cartel

Upgrade the Stig? Put him in a red, white and blue suit (for France, obviously! :lol: ), maybe get an artist who decorates NHL goalie helmets to paint something special on his, or perhaps just add more RAM to speed him up. 64 bit Stig anyone?

Throw him into some black duds. Like most of TGUSA's audience would even known about Perry McCarthy....

Top 5 Ideas for Upgrading the American Stig:

5. Add US-centric trim to his racing overalls (ie blue stars, red stripes, stylized eagles, etc) to distinguish him in appearance from UK Stig
4. Have him communicate via silent film actions a la Charlie Chaplin -- he doesn't need to be as enigmatic as UK Stig
3. Don't try making "some say" one-liners -- presenters can't do it the way the TGUK boys do anyway
2. Partner him with Adam or Rut on segments when either shows ignorance of certain driving techniques
1. Let him interact more with the BSSC guests

I find it pretty obvious that the Stig is Tanner Foust, last episode he used Tanner Foust's Ford Fieasta's E-brake, which a racecar driver outside of Drifting or rally wouldn't do on that track. Plus his small statue is obvious. How many times did you see Ben Collins pull the e-brake on a car on TGUK?

I like the mystique behind the TGUK, I mean for all we knew it could have been James May.

I find it pretty obvious that the Stig is Tanner Foust, last episode he used Tanner Foust's Ford Fieasta's E-brake, which a racecar driver outside of Drifting or rally wouldn't do on that track. Plus his small statue is obvious.

As if it can't be more blatantly obvious, look at the car behind Stig to the right. Notice something?

I like the mystique behind the TGUK, I mean for all we knew it could have been James May.

Some say he was bound and gagged in a closet.