Thread: VLC Player full screen control question

VLC Player full screen control question

How can I make this seek bar appear in full screen mode? I need to skip around when I watch some videos, it'll be a lot easier if I can get this bar to appear in full screen mode. Thanks.

Dunno about the Windows version, but on OSX I just move the mouse to the top while the video plays and the menu bar appears. Then you just click view, controler. (see shot 1) I'd look for something similar in Windows, might be in properties under something like show controler while in full screen. Going to VLC's Website the top shows an image of the controler being seperate on Windows (see shot 2), so there should be a setting for it or you might need a newer version. If your trying to get ONLY the bar, then I think your out of luck and need to find another player.

Previously known as epp_b Top Geek's Avatar
    Car(s)
    1995 Nissan 240SX
    You don't, as far as I know. You can, however, configure the hotkeys so that you can use LEFT and RIGHT to seek through videos.

It doesn't looks like the Windows version have the same feature as the Mac version. So I guess I'll have to use the hotkieys. Thanks for the replies.

Another question, is there a way to control forward and rewind with the mouse? Thanks.
    Last edited by awdrifter; December 11th, 2006 at 7:21 AM.

Car(s)
    BMW 320D Touring E46
    SHIFT + LEFT, RIGHT, seeks back and forth by a few seconds
    CTRL + LEFT, RIGHT, seeks back and forth by a minute or so.

I LUV MY PRIUS!!! the Interceptor's Avatar
    Car(s)
    Beetle 2.0 TDI
    If I may plug the Media Player Classic at this point again...

Apart from the looks, it has nothing to do with the Windows Media Player, it works like a charm and provides a scrollbar in full screen mode. Apart from that, I seem to be the only person on this planet that finds it better than the VLC. The latter has managed to crash my (Win 2k) PC two times (no other software has archieved that yet), is slow and hard to handle compared to the MPC. The only advantage I'll grant is that it plays everything without external codecs.

Regards
    the Interceptor

If you're going to stick your dick in crazy then make sure you know where all the exits are
    - MWF

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    Yeah, I don't think you can. Just use MPC. It rocks and I too prefer it over VLC. It plays stuff back a lot better too (or at least x264).

Only thing VLC is good for in my book is playing weird media files (it'll play pretty much anything without giving you an error message).
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

I have problem playing MP4 and wmv files on my comp. Last time I updated my WMP9 to 11, I couldn't uninstall it and ended up having to reformat my comp. So VLC is good cuz it doesn't need to install any codec. I'll live with not having the seek bar I guess, I'll just not go full screen if I need to skip around. Thanks for the replies.

Car(s)
    2002 Holden Monaro CV8
    Hey guys,

It's really quite simple.

Maximize VLC Player (double click the blue bar at the top, or the maximize button)
    Then double click the screen (this fills the screen with the Video)
    When you want to skip around, double click the screen again.
    Hey presto...

Hope this helps, it's not a 100% solution, however should help you out a bit.

Yea, this is what I'm doing now. Just maximize it, but not going to full screen.

Wants Rick Astley's Babies Buba's Avatar
    Car(s)
    BMW M235i
    I'm with Intercepter and Viper here... I have slashed maybe 50 n00bs in here with the old "can't get it to play, use vlc", but since ffdshow, powerdvd7 and coreavc pro do such an amazing Job on my htpc machine, I'd say get those and be happy!

[18:11] MXM: it means buba is better than you now
    [18:12] sam-l: In what way?
    [18:12] Slycer: longer penis

The new version of VLC 0.8.6 apparantly has on screen controls for full screen mode now, hopefully that will fix your problem.

Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded the new version, I kinda got it to work now. In Setting -> Interface -> Skin 2. After switched to skin 2, I can maximize the video screen, and still use the independent control panel.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    Hmm, didn't work for me. In fullscreen mode, all that happens is that if I move my mouse to the top of the screen, the VLC non-fullsize window pops up just like it did previously.

No matter though... MPC
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Skin 2 doesn't work for in full screen mode, but it does workfor just maximized screen, cuz the controls are detached.

Another question, I remember there is this feature, but I forgot what's the hotkey. VLC can forward or delay the audio in incriments of 50ms, I have a video that's out of sync, what's the hotkey to do this? Thanks.

I LUV MY PRIUS!!! the Interceptor's Avatar
    Car(s)
    Beetle 2.0 TDI
    Quote Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post
    Another question, I remember there is this feature, but I forgot what's the hotkey. VLC can forward or delay the audio in incriments of 50ms, I have a video that's out of sync, what's the hotkey to do this? Thanks.
    In MPC, the hotkeys for that are "+" and "-" on the number pad.
    Last edited by the Interceptor; January 20th, 2007 at 4:31 PM.

If you're going to stick your dick in crazy then make sure you know where all the exits are
    - MWF

Cool, thanks for the info. I also found out the hotkeys for VLC. Ctrl+K for delay, Ctrl+L for forward.

Thread Information