Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threads about 'spoilers'

Banned

Threads about 'spoilers'

First of all I want to make it completely clear that I'm not having a go at anyone here, but I'm a bit irritated by 'spoiler threads'.

I'm aware of what the word 'spoiler' means and as I don't want to know what happens in future episodes of Top Gear, I don't read the threads. Clearly some people do want to know what is coming up, but for those of us who don't, can we avoid any kind of reference to what will appear on Top Gear in spoiler thread titles please?

I don't want to know what they are doing in the Channel, but I now know they are doing something in the Channel - I'm not having a go at you, Otis, it's just that your thread was the latest one. Can I suggest any further spoiler threads just say something like: 'Series 10 spoiler', for example.

Call me a big kid, but I like the element of surprise with regard to three over-grown school boys cocking about on television.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    I actually renamed his thread to the current title. I admit it is somewhat spoiling, but I can't go around naming all threads "Top Gear Spoiler" now, can I?
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

fbc
    Car(s)
    2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
    Agreed (guess I'm a big kid too) - spoiler threads are fine for those who are interested, but keep the content out of the thread title.

Because of parking, son Adunaphel's Avatar
    Car(s)
    '96 328i Touring; '14 Clio; Rentals
    How about a spoiler subforum? Pretty easy for ppl who don't want to see what's coming up to not check that subforum.
    1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive
    2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
    2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
    Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    I've changed it (and the post on the main site) to something slightly less revealing. I can't get much less spoilerish without being completely generic.
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adunaphel View Post
    How about a spoiler subforum? Pretty easy for ppl who don't want to see what's coming up to not check that subforum.
    Still shows up in the "new posts" area. Perhaps I could do a think where only users who joined a public "spoilers" usergroup could read that forum.

Car(s)
    Golf GTI
    As somebody who is trying to spend the next ten hours or so spoiler-free with regards to a certain book, I know exactly how you feel James May's Hair.

Car(s)
    First Aberdeen Bus Network
    I think people need to understand that if there is a thread going about something, and they want to post a spoiler in it, then they have to use the spoiler function.

It's a pain when you're reading a thread and then see a blatent spoiler with no warning.

I am the Honda F1 team's number one fan.... and number 2, and number 3, and 4....

Car(s)
    2013 Hyundai VT
    Quote Originally Posted by James May's Hair View Post
    First of all I want to make it completely clear that I'm not having a go at anyone here, but I'm a bit irritated by 'spoiler threads'.

I'm aware of what the word 'spoiler' means and as I don't want to know what happens in future episodes of Top Gear, I don't read the threads. Clearly some people do want to know what is coming up, but for those of us who don't, can we avoid any kind of reference to what will appear on Top Gear in spoiler thread titles please?

Sorry, i think that's being a little TOO picky and unreasonable. You may not like that but the rest of us who like to read spoiler threads do like to know generally what the spoilers have to do with.

Give those ppl a break, please?

fbc
    Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edkwon View Post
    Sorry, i think that's being a little TOO picky and unreasonable. You may not like that but the rest of us who like to read spoiler threads do like to know generally what the spoilers have to do with.

Give those ppl a break, please?
    So just use a generic 'Top Gear Spoiler' title - then if you want to know what it's about you can open it, if not you just ignore it. Everyone wins.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007Bond View Post
    I actually renamed his thread to the current title. I admit it is somewhat spoiling, but I can't go around naming all threads "Top Gear Spoiler" now, can I?
    I didn't realise you had changed it, but it's good that you made the effort, I realise we can't have a load of threads with the same title.

I'm now trying to convince myself that they are doing nothing more than a spot of fishing.... for Sea Bass.

How about just having just one big Spoiler-thread instead of these multiple spoiler-threads emerging once in a while? If you want to read them, fine, just keep them in one thread so if you don't want to see them, you won't.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by likus View Post
    How about just having just one big Spoiler-thread instead of these multiple spoiler-threads emerging once in a while?
    Because it would be 80 million pages long and confusing as fuck due to the multiple subjects.

Car(s)
    All people need to do is use the spoiler text function, and that way people who don't want to know whats happening wont read on.

I am the Honda F1 team's number one fan.... and number 2, and number 3, and 4....

fbc
    Car(s)
    ^ Yes, but that only applies within the thread, not to the title. Viper's idea sounds good - have a spoilers group, and you only see the spoiler threads if you're in that group - that way you can write whatever you want in the title (of course, I've no idea how technically feasible that idea is...)

Car(s)
    ^ Actually, I do agree with that.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fbc View Post
    (of course, I've no idea how technically feasible that idea is...)
    Pretty sure I can pull it off.

Car(s)
    ^ If anyone can do it, Quiky can.. Oops I mean Viper can!

Quote Originally Posted by HondaF1 View Post
    ^ If anyone can do it, Quiky can.. Oops I mean Viper can!
    Brown-noser.

Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiky View Post
    Brown-noser.
    Well we have to let Viper do something around here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information