Site/Forum Feeds Information/FAQ

Here's the current feeds for the site:

Latest News:

http://www.finalgear.com/feed/

Latest Torrents:

http://www.finalgear.com/feed/torrents/

Latest Forum Posts:

http://forums.finalgear.com/external.php?type=RSS2
    Last edited by Viper007Bond; October 27th, 2007 at 2:18 PM.
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    2008 Dodge Viper, 2001 Mustang GT
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

For those wondering what the hell I'm talking about, here's some Q&A that'll hopefully cover your questions:

• What the heck are these "feeds"? What are they used for?

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_feed]Wikipedia[/url]
      A web feed is an XML-based document which contains a sequence of content items, usually a short informational story or "post", possibly with a link to a more extensive story on a web site. Web logs or blogs are a common source for web feeds, but web feeds may also be associated with information sources other than blogs.

The term syndication is used to describe the availability of a web feed for an information source, such as a blog. This is also known as "publishing" a feed.

The term aggregation is used to describe the process of combining the contents of multiple web feeds, such as for display on a single web page. This is also known as "subscribing" to a web feed.

Web feeds are designed to be machine readable, so there is no requirement that they be destined only for user consumption. For example, business partners could use web feeds to exchange information without any user intervention.

Web feeds are commonly in RSS or Atom "feed" format. They may also be in RDF format.
      So basically, it's just data formatted in a way that allows readers to read it.

• So where can I get a feed reader?

Check out Google Reader. It kicks ass.

I personally use a Trillian Pro plugin for my feeds, but there are a bunch of stand-alone feed readers out there. Hopefully people will post which ones they use in this thread and we'll get a list going.

If you use Firefox, you can add the feed as a bookmark and the feed entries will appear there. The easiest way to do this is to click on the orange, square icon in the bottom-right of Firefox and select a feed to subscribe to.

• What about that recently released torrents list? What's that about?

Well, you can use it just like any other feed and use it to see when new torrents come out or use it for more what it was designed for - torrent auto-downloaders. If you're just using a classic feed reader, I don't suggest you use this feed as the news feeds will keep you better up to date on upcoming releases.

Anyway, there are programs / plugins for BT clients that will watch one or more feeds for new entries and then download any new torrents that are added to the feed. This is what this feed is for.

If you use Azureus, check out "RSSFeed Scanner" plugin. To install it, select "Plugins" from the top of Azureus -> Installation Wizard -> By list from sourceforge.net -> Check the box next to "RSSFeed Scanner" and click "Next". After it's done downloading and installing, restart Azureus and select "RSSFeed" from the Plugins menu. You can add this site's feed there (see the plugin's help tab for more information).
    Last edited by Viper007Bond; February 23rd, 2008 at 1:00 PM. Reason: BBCode fixup
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.

Car(s)
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    This thread took me forever to write.

Car(s)
    2000 Civic SiR
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007Bond
    I was gonna ask you that

Car(s)
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI
    That's why I'm encouraging (sp?) you

Car(s)
    BMW 330Cd
    Well done, Viper.

But I have a question. It says

CAn you have more than 50? I'm not just asking about this site. For example, in engadget it seems that the maximum is 40. I sometimes don't connect for a while, and don't want to miss some news/posts.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bihus
    Well done, Viper.

CAn you have more than 50? I'm not just asking about this site. For example, in engadget it seems that the maximum is 40. I sometimes don't connect for a while, and don't want to miss some news/posts.
    Well the feed is outputting 50 like requested, so your program must have a built in limit or a setting cutting it off at 40.

And that link will only show you last 50 CREATED topics, not updated topics. I suggest you just use this: http://forum.finalgear.com/search.ph...ch_id=newposts

Or if you're trying to stay up to date on news, use the news feed.

Car(s)
    BMW 330Cd
    Quote Originally Posted by bihus
    Well done, Viper.

Well the feed is outputting 50 like requested, so your program must have a built in limit or a setting cutting it off at 40.

And that link will only show you last 50 CREATED topics, not updated topics. I suggest you just use this: http://forum.finalgear.com/search.ph...ch_id=newposts

Or if you're trying to stay up to date on news, use the news feed.
    Ok, thanks a lot

I have never tried this before, but since Viper put so much effort into this I'll give it a go. It sounds promising.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    News feed URLs updated to prettier URLs. Old URLs will still work though.

What do rss feeds acutally do. ? Help the search engine bots find and scan the site easier to what ?

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    Did you read the 2nd post in this thread?

Feeds allow you to monitor websites and be updated about updates without actually having to visit the site to check. Works best when you aggregate (or merge) a bunch of feeds into one place, like a website or more commonly a feed reader.

I'm interested in the torrent one, but the rest don't particularly appeal to me

EDIT - Scrap that - The news one probably covers torrents anyway, am I right?

EDIT - Which is the best format btw?

Car(s)
    Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust (Do want)
    The news one covers new torrents released, and anything else Viper posts on the main site really.

Just try RSS 2.0 if you're using FireFox

k, thanks

What's the difference between atom and RSS. Is one "better" than the other or is it mostly the same?

uroscar

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    Same thing, different format. Look them up on Wikipedia and they'll explain the differences. Supposedly Atom is the newer one and "better", but both do the job the same in this case.

I am new to this RSS stuff but I have read through the information you gave and done some searching and I think I have a basic understanding. I installed Azureus and the rss plugin and configured it to work with those links and look for Fifth Gear Released. I have tried it with the latest Fifth Gear release (8x02) and it recognised the news item but failed to strat the download because "html content returned, but no links to torrent files found". Can anyone tell me how I get it to follow the links to the mininova site and get the torrent file from there? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Lazy Head Dude
    FinalGear.com Owner
    Car(s)
    The above RSS feeds aren't torrent feeds, just news ones. They aren't designed for use with torrent clients. I did have a torrent feed for a short while, but I ceased development on it. I forget why. I'll look into remaking it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information