Votes: 20 20.4%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
It was good, even though it basically felt like someone recorded an episode of Top Gear Live.

Having been to both TG Live and the Finnish taping, I'd say Live was way, way, way crappier. Maybe it was the hockey rink venue, but I didn't like Live at all.

I was more interested in the 2017 Super Duty behind that thing. It had a few other prominent screen placements throughout the intro too.

NnmYlTw.png

WrCiJFw.png

Seems like a strange choice to have up there in the front row. Especially because at the time this was filmed it wasn't even out yet, so it must've been an M-plate media vehicle. Wonder how much Ford payed to get that thing in the lineup as it more likely than not wasn't chosen naturally since it doesn't fit the theme they have going there. Oh, and while getting those screencaps, I found a 2017 Raptor (white one, between the Super Duty and GTR) which also isn't on sale yet, but at least makes a little more sense since its an enthusiast vehicle. There's also a blue Focus RS in the pack.

EDIT: Another watch through. Found a Cadillac CT6. While that one is already on sale, it also doesn't fit in, and I think the plate is an M-plate from the looks of it.

n4N49Hi.png

ktnCwMy.png

Another view of the Raptor in that second shot, different location than above.

I suspect they pulled the classic stunt of "raid all the Los Angeles/West Coast media review fleets". Ford may not have paid anything for that.

Agreed with Red Falcon. We don't really need a "professional" race driver that thinks most of the cars he'll be driving are "communist." That's almost Top Gear Season 23 stupid. And yes, some of the tent bits were cringeworthy. But those are relative nitpicks compared to everything else, most of which was just great. Eight out of ten.

I suspect they pulled the classic stunt of "raid all the Los Angeles/West Coast media review fleets". Ford may not have paid anything for that.

Still weird, I'm sure they had more than enough willing enthusiasts to to show off their cars in that parade, seems illogical to get a run of the line work truck (and have to provide a driver). Plus Ford/GM would have to approve the use, thought that I'm sure wouldn't be a problem - "What? You want to use our trucks in the front lines of the new Jeremy Clarkson show? Sure!"

Though thinking about what you said about the west coast media review fleet, some journalist could've had that truck and brought it out to the filming. That's a possibility for the Super Duty and CT6, but not the Raptor - those haven't hit media hands yet.

Having been to both TG Live and the Finnish taping, I'd say Live was way, way, way crappier. Maybe it was the hockey rink venue, but I didn't like Live at all.

I've been to two TG live tours, and they were both terrible. For the people that complain about the scripting, TG/TGT had nothing on how crap the Live scripting was.

-Weak studio segments with an overexcited audience (please calm them down and make them be more laid-back in season 2). A more relaxed atmosphere will make everything feel more natural.
-Annoying commentary of the american
-films were allright (but not superb). Voiceover was too quiet, sometimes.

Overall, I think it's only a 5 or a 6 for me. I'll give it a 6, for the great opening sequence.

Last edited:
As said before, 8/10

Inicial sequence, brilliant!!!

Air Force joke, not funny

the communist American... no comment

But, over all, its our old Top Gear back,... just with an other name.

Like most people I've given it a second viewing and have gone from 7.5 to a 7. The tent segments really need work and were too nervous (perhaps understandable), too scripted, drawn out and weren't that funny when watched again. The American needs to be shot with some friendly fire.

Let's hope the South African location is better although that was the very first shoot with the tent, so could conceivably be even more scripted and unlikeable.

I wonder if Wilman and co are watching this place and not just Twitter to gauge reactions to the show...? :D

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they do monitor this place. I mean, yes, thousends of viewers have given their verdict in the amazon ratings and comments section. But the production team sort of knows the kind of "audience" in here, back from TopGear. It's like in everyday life: you can always ask a stranger for his opinion, but you really prefer to ask your friends.

We don't really need a "professional" race driver that thinks most of the cars he'll be driving are "communist." That's almost Top Gear Season 23 stupid.

The problem is, if the man stayed silent while driving, the BBC's lawyers and midlevel management would go "STIG-CLONE! Sue-shutdown-get-rid-Clarkson-HAHAHAHAHA!" (Given the year they've had so far, yes, they'd be that crazy.)

He can't "have the stereo on," either.

What he *can* do is talk about how the car feels like driving a la tongue-tied Chris Harris.

Another thing to remember about the lap times, is that the racing driver doing the driving for the Gran Tour test is a much better driver than Chris Harris.
For any proper test between 3 such cars, you need a driver that can extract the best out of all the cars.

Based upon this claim, surely the P1 would stand a much better chance? It is supposedly the most tricky the master. If that's the case, how did the supposed amateur get more out of it than a "pro" ex-F1 driver?

Still weird, I'm sure they had more than enough willing enthusiasts to to show off their cars in that parade, seems illogical to get a run of the line work truck (and have to provide a driver). Plus Ford/GM would have to approve the use, thought that I'm sure wouldn't be a problem - "What? You want to use our trucks in the front lines of the new Jeremy Clarkson show? Sure!"

Though thinking about what you said about the west coast media review fleet, some journalist could've had that truck and brought it out to the filming. That's a possibility for the Super Duty and CT6, but not the Raptor - those haven't hit media hands yet.

Or one of your engineers at the Ford facility in Arizona decided to bring one over. It's not all that far from there to where this was filmed.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like the theme tune will be Kongos - "Come With Me Now".

Hah - I think that's a not-all-that-subtle dig at the BBC, should this be correct.

Based upon this claim, surely the P1 would stand a much better chance? It is supposedly the most tricky the master. If that's the case, how did the supposed amateur get more out of it than a "pro" ex-F1 driver?

Did everyone else besides me miss the fact that the P1 was THE fastest on the Trofeo R tires that came with it? The same one that Chris Harris used on his ROLLING START test of the car? Once all the cars were put on the exact same tires is when the P1 fell back.

Maybe just to shut up the naysayers, they should re-test the cars all on the same R compound track tires.

My problem with the 'American' isn't that he speaks, but he lacks a certain charm that makes me like him, despite what he says. I don't like some of what Clarkson says but he is still likeable. I can only hope he learns to be better at this or the experience will become very grating when he appears on screen.

I just figured the whole point of The American is that while he and the Stig are both fast race car drivers, they're not the same. Stig never spoke, The American doesn't shut up. No way the BBC can wag their finger at that one.

It was good, even though it basically felt like someone recorded an episode of Top Gear Live. Stunning visuals tho, I hope in the near future we'll get more car content, the two 'tests' felt rather short and shallow.

In case you haven't noticed: This isn't Top Gear anymore. It's called "The Grand Tour" and if I'm not completely wrong, it's more along the line of the TG specials.

I'd say not to expect any car reviews whatsoever apart from the mandatory supercar showdowns.