[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
I guess it's Warren, the guy who did the maybach and the shark thing. Hopefully his character will come around for me because that's my only real big downside of the show.

Which is a bit funny since most people liked him. I like him as a host. He is entertaining and can be quite informative.

Then again I'm basing this on the Peking to Paris documentary as well as this episode.

And then they were constantly drawing attention to the fact that they're TRYING to be as successful as TG ("look that's our first laptime", "we've made it through the first commercial break" etc). I found that annoying.

Well I think the latter might actually be a reference to Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos (it was on 9 in '92) which was pulled by Packer during the premier.

MadCat360 said:
I think, after a few episodes, the presenters will become more comfortable with the fact that they CAN be very different if they so choose.

Agreed.

"OMG HE WENT 1/16th of an inch over the white line!!! KILL KILL KILL!!!@~!~!!111! "

:mad:

Oh well, at least we didn't see someone say on here "OMG HEZ COPYING CLARKSON. CLARKSON DID THAT IN EPISODE 11x03!!! KILL KILL KILL !!!ONEONEONE!!!111!"

I hate the Ford v Holden thing but having it in ep 1 would have been a good way of getting two times on the lap board with cars that we can generally understand.

I think that they were trying to appeal to people other then bogans for the first episode.

Complaints that he used a stick to draw a diagram of the Porsche gearbox in dirt? That's quintissential Top Gear in my opinion. For crying out loud, Clarkson pretends he doesn't know what Torque is, or how an engine even works.

If you want a diagram about how a twin clutch porsche gearbox works, you're watching the wrong show, this is an entertainment show.

When I read that I wanted to know what show from the UK these guys had been watching. I never knew that TGUK was known for its extremely detailed animated diagrams of parts.

I noticed several times that they had to use canned laughter because a comment went over the heads of the audience.

The Lamborghini and tractors joke was one of them.

Well, I liked it.....sort of.

I watched it as a show of it's own and decided it wasn't too too bad. Lots of room for improvement though. 7/10

These are the things that bothered me about the show.

Suprisingly I didn't hate the blonde one as much as I was expecting having read this thread while waiting for the download. But he is as stiff as if he had a rod stuck up his backside. Hopefully that is not his natural self and that will improve. Respect for the unintended car jump.

The little one I think will be good. I just wish he would drag a razor across his face. Some guys look good with a bit of beard growth. He does not. He just looks dirty.

They are trying too hard to carbon copy UK TG. Even down to the part of asking who wants to see the star's lap. That is probably the only thing on UK TG that I hate. I would just as soon they ask if I want cheese on it.

As for the star. Oh God. That was almost embarrassing. I do not know who he was and do not care. I did not find one thing he said or did funny or interesting. Absolutely horrible guest. And being the first one, I will remember it a long time. And I am not even going to mention how bad the blonde was at the interview stuff.

I am not wild about their stig. He has no style or flair. I didn't like UK black stig for the same reason. It was a total waste of time showing him driving all those different cars for 5 sec each. And that hummer. I thought it had a good time considering what it was.

Have to agree with lots of people on the track. The filming was crap. One of the first things they should have done being this is the first show was give an overview of the track/the studio/anything else they could think of. Introduce us to what they have and what we can expect. They half assed most everything they did on this show.

Odd man out for me was Warren. He made me tired watching him. It was like he has torettes syndrome and can not control his movements. Not to mention that horrible stripe of black hair on his upper lip and the dark stripe down his chin. I was routing for the sharks.

I sincerely hope our opinions have been monitored by the powers that be and changes be made. I think it has potential and I look forward to the next episode.

Bring on TG America.

I think quite a number of the "OMG it's crap" posts are coming from the kiddies.

Seriously you'd rather watch paint dry eh? Please don't tune in again....I suggest 90210 may be more to your liking. Typical post from an aussie that makes me cringe.

Nothing constructive to say just more dribble from another childish immature person.

The problem with generalizations and suppositions such as all the "OMG it's crap" posts coming from kiddies is you leave yourself open to direct ridicule.

I'm 41. I've owned somewhere in the region of 25 cars of all varying makes and models. I also subscribe to 5 major car magazines (2 Aussie and 3 overseas). This simply makes me a car fanatic as I believe most blokes (and ladies) on here would be.

I watched Top Gear Australia and posted my viewpoint on it like others have a right to do. To be succinct I thought it was utter crap and should not have been made. Others have differing opinions which are equally valid but to tar everyone with the same brush and call them "Kiddies" because they didn't like the show is ridiculous.

Like the 3 presenters on Top gear Australia I'm pretty sure you also fall into the category of "*&ckwit"

IT was always going to be difficult if not impossibe to live up to comparision to TGUK. Despite having to follow the "franchise formula" the show lost interest for me and I found th need to turn off. The presenters just did'nt have the necessary chemistry and well I think that enoughs been said on the vehicle tests and track. I will have a look at ep.2 however to see if its any better and then well make a decision as to the rest. (A TGUK rerun night each monday for me perhalps).

For me I vote 1 - 1 is the lowest isnt it?

Like the 3 presenters on Top gear Australia I'm pretty sure you also fall into the category of "*&ckwit"
Well, this is probably pretty immature on my part, But i think resorting to calling people "*&ckwit" proves that though you may be 41, you still act like a kiddie.

Keeping on topic,
Im suprised there seems to be an even mix across alot of forums of who they like and dislike. Here Cox seems to be the least favorite, on the ford forums Warren cops the majority of a beating. I think the general consensis is Steve needs a shave though. i hope i dont look like that unshaven.

Im hoping they gel a bit better on the hosting duties within a couple of episodes. I dont think the segments will improve quickly, since most of that is pre-filmed.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen Thank God You're Here? Why can they handle being thrown in the deep end and these guys can't, even if they've been able to practice before jumping?
It makes you wonder just how bad the other 4000 entries were

Last edited:
The intro season preview really got me excited about this show. As the show progressed though, I began to feel dissapointed. The Porsche review should have been more informative. Overall, he seemed to only praise the 911, and he never seems to talk about some of it's weaker points. The Maybach review could have been more interesting, but I found the transition to the board thing to be a bit of an unpleasant surprise. Even the softroader review seemed to lack information about the cars itself, even more so than TGUK. As I finished the first episode, I kind of felt unhappy that I downloaded this instead of this weeks Fifth Gear (my ADSL might as well be dial-up), and that is never a good sign.\

7/10. Not bad for a first effort. I think my favorite current presenter is Warren. The shorter bloke and Charlie seem too unnatural in their presentation.

I just watched a bit of new topgear's first episode ever (after seeing this new aussie one), and although back then they hadn't quite nailed everything down perfectly, most of it is there (James May not withstanding). Also the current format took maybe 3 or 4 seasons to develop, and another 7 to get to the 'perfection' of the current UK TG.

It will take a season or two or three for the Australian guys to get a real feel for the TG production values, because they've just jumped into the latest top gear style!

Has anyone seen Thank God You're Here? Why can they handle being thrown in the deep end and these guys can't, even if they've been able to practice before jumping?
It makes you wonder just how bad the other 4000 entries were

I know what you mean. If these 3 were the cream, just how bad was the rest?

I just have to seriously doubt they really considered those other people.

I saw the show, had a few initial criticisms about it and the presenters, and over the last few hours read much of what's been posted here. I'm still wondering why nearly everyone's bagging Charlie Cox? Some have taken exception to his voice, his attitude and his opinions - I mean, as if Clarkson doesn't? I didn't mind Warren, but I've enjoyed his humour and commentary before on 'Peking to Paris'. He should avoid full face frontals though - I mean those saloon door ears! I did, however, wince every time Steve spoke, then later started wincing every time I thought he was about to. It might be just a rough (but far too squeaky) Australian accent, but if you're into unrefined Ocker accents, then I'd much rather Ben Dark than Steve. Some have mentioned Shaun Micallef - good idea - but maybe Ben can do a Ute in the Dirt thing sometime!

As for the content - it all seemed a bit tossed together and rushed in some bits. Explaining the track would have been nice, with maybe the 3 presenters showing us their times, rather than just launching straight into a 'SIARPC look-alike' sequence which really just leaving us wondering what the circuit looked like. Maybe borrow that Cessna that seemed to be sharing the track at times to get a better view of it to start with. Camera work in general didn't hit the same highs as any (even wet) episode of TGUK, but you could at least see an cinegraphic improvement over previous Oz [yawn] car programs.

I hope a few things improve though.

Well, this is probably pretty immature on my part, But i think resorting to calling people "*&ckwit" proves that though you may be 41, you still act like a kiddie.

Your reply was rhetorical I'm sure.

How many times do you hear Clarkson, Hammond or May use one of the many English expletives / putdowns on their show (i.e. Pillock or however it's spelled)? Does that make them immature?

The OP tried to be cool by calling everyone a kiddie if they posted their dislike for the show. He's a &*ckwit.

Carry on.

Going back to those ratings...Idol, Border Patrol, whatever else, its pretty depressing.

TV just isnt watchable anymore. Tailor made for idiots who need the Ab King Pro ads. To be repeated. Every. Ad.Break. You buy shows on dvd and watch them like Californication, Weeds, 30 Rock and Underbelly and get involved because its people making a show for the purpose of making a show, not to tack an ad break onto the end. Anyone who has seen the Strip on CH9 will know what Im talking about.

For those with Foxtel, Showcase (403) has some alright shows. Needs to expand though.

TGA does need to find its own image. Hopefully it can be sooner. Good choice of reasonably priced car though haha

Couple of points about the test track:

1. It's at a (small) working airport (kind of hard to miss in the Hummer lap) - bit of a mistake as that would pretty much rule out a chopper hovering over the track, & therefore no definitive "shape" shots. Also means they are using small taxi-ways & not the main strip.

2. The camera angles in the 1st series of TGUK (2002) were all wrong & made things look a bit slow, but at least they had a telemetry overlay for a bit - you got to know the track layout. Hopefully they'll dream up something like that to get more of a feel for it. Hopefully they'll play with the camera angles too (it felt like a bit of height might have helped - it seemed tlike they were filming from a pit a few times).

Havent seen this article posted in the thread... apologies if it already has been...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24425336-29277,00.html

Idol left in Top Gear's dust

By Katherine Field

September 30, 2008 03:19pm
Article from: AAP

A SECOND series of motoring TV show Top Gear Australia is already in the pipeline after its premiere won over audiences.

About 933,000 viewers around the country watched the debut last night, giving SBS its highest ratings for a locally produced television program ever.

SBS head of TV Matt Campbell admitted he was disappointed not to crack the one million mark, but was still happy with the figures, which were higher than any season premiere of the British original.

"It was always going to be a tough call but to come in better than the UK series is quite an achievement," Mr Campbell said.

A second series is now being planned, he said.

"We're in discussions now. We'd like to roll on, obviously, from a production perspective," Mr Campbell said.

"It's been a big challenge. Series two will be a much better series. It always is because you learn so much in the first one."

Last night's episode featured a guest appearance from Australian actor Vince Colosimo and new cars tested such as the Lotus Elise, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 PDK.

Despite the fact the series came third in its timeslot behind Seven's Border Security and Nine's US hit Two And a Half Men, media experts applauded it as a success, especially after it beat Australian Idol on Ten.

Leading media buyer Harold Mitchell said "it's got a very strong and large following which will continue" while Vincent O'Donnell from Melbourne's RMIT University said the figures were "really encouraging".

O'Donnell said its success would lay with whether hosts Warren Brown, Charlie Cox and Steve Pizzati could keep differentiating themselves from the British hosts ? as well as win over females.

"The test of the Australian program will be, will it repeat the success of the British program of getting a large female demographic, because in this case, Australian automotive advertisers are going to love it," O'Donnell said.

Campbell said he hoped to crack the one million mark next week with it's Ford vs Holden stand-off and guest appearance from actor Steve Bisley.

"If that doesn't bring in the petrol heads, then there's something wrong," he said.

He also announced actor Jack Thompson would guest star later in the series.

The Australian version is the first outside Britain.

i think it was a great first show, most people here just expect it to be as good as TG UK just because of the name. To be honest ive seen much worse TG UK episodes

but i think the blonde hair guy needs to stop trying to be clarkson

its still got a long way to go, but its waaaaaaaaaay better than the usual car shit we have had on australian tv... i still have nightmares about "the car show" :cry:

Last edited:
The problem with generalizations and suppositions such as all the "OMG it's crap" posts coming from kiddies is you leave yourself open to direct ridicule.

I'm 41. I've owned somewhere in the region of 25 cars of all varying makes and models. I also subscribe to 5 major car magazines (2 Aussie and 3 overseas). This simply makes me a car fanatic as I believe most blokes (and ladies) on here would be.

I watched Top Gear Australia and posted my viewpoint on it like others have a right to do. To be succinct I thought it was utter crap and should not have been made. Others have differing opinions which are equally valid but to tar everyone with the same brush and call them "Kiddies" because they didn't like the show is ridiculous.

Actually I'm not calling anybody a "kiddie" because of their opinion but rather the childish manner in which they express it. I'd expect a bit more of an adult ability to criticise and express ones feelings of the show instead of the childish replies being thrown arond in the forum.

Your last line is a classic example of what I'm saying and hardly a mature respose one would expect from a 41 yr old, resorting to name calling.

The OP tried to be cool by calling everyone a kiddie if they posted their dislike for the show. He's a &*ckwit.

Carry on.

I wanted to be cool eh? That's a good one. I think you need to calm down a bit and get a grip. Anytime you want an adult conversation without the name calling let me know. For now though you arn't worth my time or effort.