[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
The three guys tried too hard being Clarkson, Hammond and May, instead of being authentic. When Steve Pizzati said 'again' (13m34s), it was the same gestic and facial expression of Hammond. I hope they'll find their own way in the next show.

It would be better if they tried to be less like the UK trio.

The show was good though.

Things I didn't like were the music, the track and the track camera work.

For a first episode I think it was very good.

Also, having it set is OZ which has awesome scenery is a big plus.

As I mentioned before I honestly think they were damn if they do, damned if they don't. It was always either going to be "too much like top gear" or "not enough like top gear"

What a joke, not funny at all. All 3 presenters have the same personalities and are all high on caffeine.

It wasn't a bad pilot. That said the track setup looked half-assed and I would of much rather of seen Fords and Holdens power sliding around than soft-roaders.

The negatives of this show are the test track, and what seems to be an attempt to copy the personality traits of TopGear UK as Cox is purist Jeremy character, Steve the Hammond, and Warren the strange May type. I want to see their own personalities come through. Cox did better narration in his touring car days.

Warren was strangely was a hit with me too.

"Star in a bog standard car", lol.

I just hope they go into the Japanese cars available to Aussies.

TG Aus, what a load of crap watched 20 minutes hoping it was going to improve, it didn't. Presenters 1 to 10 what presenters my four year old grandson could have done better. No originality whatsoever But I have to admit the cringe factor was off the scale. Roll on the return of TGUK drop the Aus version,

"Star in a bog standard car", lol.

I liked this attempt to Australianise the name of the SIARPC segment too; but unfortunately, they didn't use the standard and more accepted Australian terminology which would be:

"Star in a <insert nationality> shit box"

Was the GTR a manual? I noticed on the in car shot Stig seemed to be moving like it was a manual. I had no idea the GTR came in a manual, I thought it was flappy paddles only.

Was the GTR a manual? I noticed on the in car shot Stig seemed to be moving like it was a manual. I had no idea the GTR came in a manual, I thought it was flappy paddles only.

That was an error in editing of the video clips, I think the interior shot may have been from the M3.

What happened with the Maybach? That was the weakest review in TG history. He didn't even talk about the car, just stopped it after the headphones. The test track def needs more work and better camera angles. The presenters really suck at being funny, nobody was laughing and it seemed like everyone was really bored in the studio and just had those fake emotionless smiles. I kind of feel bad for the guys, cuz it's really tough to match TG UK.... and it's even worse cuz the people responsible for it will probably be reading all this.

That was an error in editing of the video clips, I think the interior shot may have been from the M3.

No I think what happened is that the Stig was using the stick instead of the paddles to control the shifts.... "cuz he doesn't like the paddles(from the Porsche review)"

One more thing to add. What kind of car are they using for the SIARPC? There was no introduction to it at all.

Last edited:
No I think what happened is that the Stig was using the stick instead of the paddles to control the shifts.... "cuz he doesn't like the paddles(from the Porsche review)"

The thing is that you can't use the lever itself to shift

http://img205.imageshack.**/img205/4499/nissangtr20081600x1200wed7.jpg

I was astounded to see them trying to play the roles of the original cast. That's what they treated like, a rendition, with the same lines and the same wit (attempted anyway.)

I thought it was awful and after hitting FF a couple of times tossed the show.

I'll try an be polite and objective but it was bad and in parts, really bad. I just finished watching it and the first impression I have is, don't try and copy TGUK. I blame the TGUK management and production team for this. While Australia may well be part of the commonwealth and have close ties to England it is a separate country with their own views and "take on life." In my opinion TGAUS should be more Australian and less English copy.

As for the episode itself: The soft roader in sand was ok but a bit underwelming. The Lambo segment was a complete waste of time. The news, I actually stopped paying attention. The Porsche segment told me just about nothing and it lacked any real insight or special moment. The Stig, well it's the Stig, why not have an Aus counterpart? The lap times and board, just wrong and felt completely awkward. Maybach segment, go back and take a look at how 5G did it with Tom and see how it should have been. "What were they thinking?" has potential. SIARPC, who ever he was, was annoying and the interview itself was bad. Soft roader2, just more of the same. The shark bit, I have no idea who thought this would be great.

Overall I know it's the first episode and you can only go up from here but my god there is a long way to go. cut back on content, 3-4 segments max per show. Create and exploit your own identities, you do not need to be Aus copies of Jeremy James and Richard. The show itself should have it's own identity. Stop yelling and presenting the bits so feverishly, relax and flow with the show.

I hope things get better but for now, thanks for the torrents and lets hope I will actually want to download further episodes.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I enjoyed the show very much. Of course the track needs some work but anyone who got anything right on the first try is a damn liar. So a solid nine from me and a ten if they improve the track.

I enjoyed it. Their aussie accents do take a bit of getting used to, even though I live down in New Zealand. The cheeky buggers even managed to take the piss out of our accent when doing the Mitsubishi Legnum on their "what were they thinking board". Typical Australians. :rolleyes: It's not our fault they named it that, FOR US.

Are people comparing EPISODE #1 of TGAUS with the well seasoned latter series' of TGUK? Put episode #1 of each version back to back. I don't know about about you but TGUK#101 wasn't that great either.

TGAUS are testing the waters people. Even TGUK had their misses. Jason was replaced after series 1 with James May. Black Stig was replaced with White Stig. The point is first episodes, and even series', are never as good as what's to come.