[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
Why are we meant to be making excuses for it?
Go back and watch season 1 of Top Gear. You'll see what I'm talking about. I haven't seen TG Aus yet for obvious reasons, so it really could be crap. My point is merely that comparing it to Top Gear UK is like comparing a prototype car to a Mercedes. You have to give it time to buff out the sharp corners.

I liked the show, and will keep watching it. It has teething problems, eg. there was not actually a car review, as such. I dont know which offroader to buy still.
Charlie, stop waving your arms.
I love the banter, and I think it will do well. Give it a chance people!

I'm curious now... thought this would get rave reviews and it isn't... what were you expecting in the first place? If they make a carbon copy of TGUK, you'd all call it fake and stupid, but if they do their own thing you'll all say 'TGUK is lots better!'

What do you people want? :p

Just watched it myself.

Give it a 6 out of 10.

Agreed on Charlie Cox, hes quite annoying, favourite presenter is Warren Brown :)

Considering how the very first few episodes of the current format TGUK were, this isn't bad actually, just not quite as good.

Couldnt agree more about the track, they should at least tour around the track to let us know what its like; just like they did with the first TGUK episode and give us more camera angles!!!!!

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Just wanting to know what everyone thinks of Top Gear AUS.

IMO, it was not worth the wait. Everything felt too forced and the feature film was nothing short of pointless - top of the range Rav4 vs bottom of the range competitors. Also what the hell is with the track?! A little bit of an explanation of it would be nice, aswell as some camera angles.
I think Fifth Gear is better, by a long shot.

Jeez, that was quick Viper007Bond :p

it was a very good effort by new boys.
there are few things that i wana say here.
they need to revisit their sound recoring engineer and editor.
the sound of the engine didnt match the visual and also the way they showed the celebrity lap and stig lap.

yes there are few problems with the presenters, but its only the first episode. they are still feeling reserve. they need some time to settle.
shark bit was fantastic, it was scary.
self proclaimed best charlie for porsche needs to be more precise with the conclusions.
over all 7 out of 10, it deservs 7.
good job boys, keep it up

I reckon it was pretty good for a first go, people still compare it to UK TG, watch the first season of UK TG and its the same thing, alot of rough edges. The filming of the track could be improved but we saw that also in the first season of TG UK, give it a go guys and i'm sure it'll form the basis of a great motoring show.

Overall good start

Registered just to express my anger about Charlie Cox.
He is a very bland and boring host.
Bit disappointed about the test track, felt like a huge rush job (assembly wise).

On a positive note,
Warren and Steve are pretty good hosts though.

EDIT: I feel production value is top notch though, so props to Freehand for not skimping on it.

agree with everything you say, the first shot of that long pan zoom on the porsche, it just felt like top gear UK.

And i say keep the other two and ditch cox, his opinions are worthless.

Hated it.
The presenters are annoying
The softroaders segment had no real focus
The shark thing was insanely stupid
They are trying to be exactly like tguk and they are failing miserably.

I'll watch it next week for the ford vs holden battle but after that, stuff it.

Did anyone else notice the stig appeared to be shifting gears in the GTR?

Suddenly my 'What were they thinking?' shirt makes a lot more sense!

Have to say well done to the TGA team, great first episode and a strong foundation. Obviously not mind-blowing but a great opener none the less.

It certainly seems they have saved plenty more for the rest of the series as well. I'll be watching.

If you compare the first UK Top Gear to the first Top Gear Aus, I think it keeps you in perspective of what it is. For a first episode, I think it turned out great, it just needs to go for a season or two to get to know the business of making a more polished car show - if it can last that long.

QFT

Yeah, so far this thread is exactly what I was expecting...

It's lucky some of you guys aren't parents - your kids would be suicidal...

Nothing will ever match the UK edition. Those three have just gelled together as a trio and bounce off each other very well. Their producer and script writers are fantastic.

The problem with Charlie is he isn't natural behind the controls, he can't interview and has no relaxed presence. So far all his studio dialog has been forced out. The little midget Porsche instructor is almost passable.

The winner of the three for me is the former cartoonist - he's had plenty of presenting and TV exposure in the past, and has a natural Aussie humour that just works.

The filmed sets are actually reasonably good, all the guys seem to play well in the field, it's just the studio bits that have them limper than a politicians handshake.

I think in season two they'll have got it down pat, heck, there might even be a change in tone by episode two.

Well I wasn't expecting much...And not much was given.
It was like a season 1 of Topgear UK, but much worse.
Pretty much everything was crap, except for Warren, he's pretty cool, I can clearly see his TV experience coming through.
Probably the only LOL part was when Cox did the big jump on the dunes.
And don't get me started on Steve, hes such a bogan, very annoying voice, no need to shout!. [Haha Am I harsh?]
Next episode with the Holden vs Ford thing.. uhh.. kill me.

Overal a 3/10, those 3 points go to Warren.

wow....

It's obvious the producer is not Australian. Never heard so many 'mates' 'crikeys' and all round stereotypical crap in my life.
Disappointed. :cry:

They barely examined the cars at all! They showed a dude with a pair of headphones in the Maybach and ended the story...

Hope it gets better

It was ok, I'll watch it again next week because it has to get better doesn't it? This is episode one afterall.

Charlie was hard to get used to but the other two were ok.

The camera work on the track was terrible, the UK track just seems to present better and has less corners so you can remember where the car is. An aerial shot at the start or an overhead diagram would have helped so we knew what the track was all about.

It was good to have a few cars go around the track to get some times up there, disappointing that the GTR which is one the premier car releases this year was one of them, especially when it set the fastest time. I would have liked to see a review of that.

I think it will get better with time, they need to settle in and we need to get used to them. I would like to see more Aussie stuff though and the Holden v Ford thing will be the start of more to come I hope.

I really liked the What Were They Thinking section. Other parts of the show were so-so.

I guess they were trying really hard to BE TGUK in my opinion. And yes I do find Charlie Cox annoying with that voice of his >.<

I bet Jezza and co will laugh at TGA's decision to use a Proton as the reasonably priced car lol

FWIW, I thought it was shot very well, considering TGUK has the bar raised so high, but in all honesty, I'd rather watch re-runs of old TGUK episodes than sit through an hour of Cox telling us how good he is at driving Porsches.
As far as next ep goes, I would like to think that the average TG viewer would be above the bogan-fest that any Holden vs Ford comparo brings out.