[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
In defense of all those blatantly comparing this to the Top Gear we all know and love - it is hard to blank UK TG from mind mainly because AusTG has pretty much exactly the same set and same/similar segments. I mean obviously...its licenced to do so.

But this worked against it. It gets me thinking - if only AusTG had tried to be its own. Maybe a quintessentially Aussie set for example? And NOT using the "Some say..." introductions.

Just a thought....

Let's keep this to a discussion about the show and leave the personal insults & generalisations aside eh?

can do, its just its episode one and its already full of people moning and whining about holden and ford. That is the test i've been most looking forward to in top gear.

I'm not sure they have the clout yet to start knocking cars. It would be very easy for the Australian car companies to lock them out. We are a very small (minded) market here. I've seen it happen all to often in the motorcycle market.

flyingfridge said:
Clearly to appease the wowsers who seem to have way too much political clout.
It's Top Gear.
They're 'sposed to upset the do-gooders.

It lacks any sence of Australian "Rat-bag".

I've been VERY sideways in both cars and know that they're both excellent in their own right. The need to argue about it is childish in the first place.

thats good, and im keen to hear what they say

i have no real doubt the F6 will get the nod, but on the previews it the clubsport actually appeared to be ahead!

But this worked against it. It gets me thinking - if only AusTG had tried to be its own. Maybe a quintessentially Aussie set for example? And NOT using the "Some say..." introductions.

Just a thought....

I had the same thought actually - but on the flip side I understand completely them sticking very close to the tried-and-true TG formula at this stage. I think in time they'll deviate a bit from it as they settle in and find their comfort zones.

And NOT using the "Some say..." introductions.

Just a thought....

that, i admit, got the biggest cringe. actually, i think that should be the first thing to improve. certainly is the easiest.

No ad breaks = no TGAu. They're a necessary evil for us.

Bullshit. Top gears a show that shouldn't be mixed with ads

Atleast have a 5 min intermission half way thru. Instead breaking the ads up
Which is the old style of SBS presenting shows like this

Now that was the greatest flop I have ever seen. I agree with the very accurate criticisms voiced above and can only ask how can anybody spend $1,000,000 per show and come up with such rubbish. Their only breif was to "not stuff it up", well guess what, that sucked. we can only pray for an early death.

I'd still rate it better than Fifth Gear :lol:

At least have a 5 min intermission half way thru. Instead breaking the ads up

Ads can't be helped. If you still want to watch you have to put up with it.

I agree - it shouldn't be mixed with ads, but commercial reality dictates it needs to be.

Atleast have a 5 min intermission half way thru. Instead breaking the ads up

And I'm sure people would whinge about that too - it's a catch-22.

I can tell you the answer now about the H v F part next week. Im guessing they'll make it a draw, to keep everyone happy.

well, that wont keep me happy. Im a ford man(if i had to chose) and id be very happy if they picked a single winner outright, even if it was holden.
Anyway... meh.

Hey guys, first time poster.

I didn't mind it at all. Honestly better than I expected. Charlie Cox is obviously no Clarkson, and did anything really think he would be? I'm hoping throughout the season everything smoothes out a bit. Holden in Ford I'm in two minds about, obviously they were going to do it eventually but I was hoping they could have made something out a bit. How about getting some proper Aussie classics instead of just F6 vs HSV or whatever they chose?

Worst thing is probably the ads but even so I will be tuning in over the next few weeks.
P.S. Aren't the LS engines made in Canada?

hey i would be nervous, the whole of aus.. and the bloody world is watching
they gave it a fair go.
yeah thats true to above comment, the show does need more planning

Its really hard to bring something new to this discussion board that hasn't been touched upon, but I think that it will mature over time, and I think they will take their feedback from the likes of us (a la Wilman), and tune it. Mind you, that whole 'Porsche is awesome by default' struck a wrong note in me, and that needs to be removed. Poor word choice.

Will it match or exceed the godly standard of TG UK and by early reports, Gear? Perhaps not. Give it time, pump up the feedback, and the show will change for the better.

And if this did disappear, what else is there on this time of night? 90210, dancing with the stars, all the other generic crap,....wtf?

I did miss a bit of it, but what I saw was pretty good. 7/10 for me.

I see a lot of people bagging it after just one episode. Give it time guys, it will get better as the presenters gel. Warmed to Warren and Steve right away, but Charlie needs to loosen up a bit. Ill be back next week

Bullshit. Top gears a show that shouldn't be mixed with ads. Atleast have a 5 min intermission half way thru. Instead breaking the ads up
at least it aint as bad as the other commercial channels. i actually walked away from tv at the first ad break, and had to come back running cos it only lasted what, a minute? and who'd of thought i would actually watch ads, but at LEAST they were relevant to cars, no womens/mens hygiene products/sports watches in sight

so a necessary evil im prepared to live with

thats good, and im keen to hear what they say

i have no real doubt the F6 will get the nod, but on the previews it the clubsport actually appeared to be ahead!

believe me, that's because it sits on 275 rear rubber, the F6 on 245, over the full distance of a 1/4 mile the ford won't have too much trouble pegging that back.

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to seeing the F6 v the Clubsport, it's just a shame they have to compare them as such, I really enjoyed the top gear UK reviews of the monaro where it was reviewed as a car in its own right rather than having to live up to this stupid ongoing fued. They're both genuinely good cars, get over it.