[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
Hated the sharks part, the point is? I didn't feel like that had anything to do with motor vehicles.

AWD part wasn't bad, its got the idea. Kinda wish the UK crew played in the sand dunes after seeing that. I wish I got to play in the sand dunes, oops wrong thread... :lol:

Everyone is right about the laptimes and the studio setup. Despised the track which doesn't help with the segment. The layout looks to me as if its all straight with a twist in the center. Also, they just threw up numbers it felt like. The air hanger is too similar, it should not be a copy, modified for the audience watching it. Oddly, I don't think it would bother me if the USA show used a hanger... :think:

I liked the camera work on the Porsche but after reading everyone's comments it made the review feel empty. Sounds wierd calling it a review now. Should we call it the muttering of Porsche with pictures?

Top Gear Australia gives me the impression its the deformed child of Top Gear (UK) and Fifth Gear. The next episode does look very good. A classic Ford vs. Chevy (Holden). I look forward to the classic argument; it may be the thing to give hope for many. Criticize as you like but the next showing maybe something good enough, something that Fifth Gear could never fill during Top Gear's breaks.

This may only have been the first ep, but they did muck a few things up. The sharks and the Maybach bit were pointless. What was the point of showing 2 seconds worth of Maybach with all that bull of money and all if you're not going to review it? And seriously, sharks eating cars? This isn't Discovery Channel, stick to burnouts and crashing. The 3 guys worked very well together though, and the softroader segment was very nice.

I'd say they have to act a bit more natural, they're over emphasizing their lines and it comes off as very scripted, something you don't want to show even though you know it is...

I gave it a 6. not bad but can do better.. The AWD part was ok. the rest of the show seemed rushed and the Maybach and that shark thingy could have been left on the editors table. And I have serious doubt about that short guy, he was annoying the crap out of me..

Brown was on 774 ABC Melbourne this morning. He's basically said give it until episode three to see how things pan out, because that's where he believes everyone's got it together.
He's also ruled out Skaife as the Stig clone. Watching this week's ep, it's not going to be long until someone says "Hey, that shoulder-forward, wide-armed stance looks like XXXXXXXX" and the big secret is busted. Dean Evans is out ... Stig.au doesn't look like the one mean streak of pelican s**t that Evans is, so blows my theory out of the water.

Last edited:
I just got done watching it here in the wee hours of the morning. God, isn't insomnia great for watching Top Gear?

I do feel that the show had a rushed feel to it, but being the first show, I think they just need to find their groove and comfort level, so they can settle down and present a better show. Top Gear UK will be entering it's 11th Series this Fall, and it still has it's off areas from time to time.

I like Charlie Cox as the 'ringleader'. He's not exactly a 'level headed' sort of fellow, and he'll occasionally take things over the edge like Jeremy. His laps in the soft-road car were apparent in that, and I can only hope to imagine how he'll be on track tests. Personally, I want to see him in that suped up Ford GT.

Steve Pizzati, it was as if he couldn't stay still while he was in the studio. It reminded me of someone...I can't quite put my finger on it....

[YOUTUBE]0Gul8_GLzD4[/YOUTUBE]

And as for Warren, well he certainly is the James May of the group, but he seems to have a bit of ambition in him as well. I think he's a bit of May and Hammond together, because you would never catch James May in a caged up car surrounded by sharks.

Overall I think this was a good start but certainly much for them to improve on, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us. :)

Do you think TGUK should do the same? Less cocking about and more burnouts?

No, but they do realistic car stuff or really funny car stuff, nothing pointlessly inane...

Brown was on 774 ABC Melbourne this morning. He's basically said give it until episode three to see how things pan out, because that's where he believes everyone's got it together.

ive highlighted the most crucial point that everyone whining on this thread should realise

it was the FIRST EPISODE people...give it some time, and proceed to unbunch your collective panties :lol:

All I see in this thread is people whining, bitching and complaining. Here are some things to set it straight:

1. It is called Top Gear Australia and resembles Top Gear because that was the point. It is not called Fifth Gear Australia or D Motor Australia because it follows the formula set by Top Gear. That is why the presenters so closely match their UK counterparts - it was intended.

2. The track is crap. We know.

3. The presenters are nervous because they are riding a huge wave of expectations. You try hosting a show with 70 million plus viewers and say you are not nervous.

4. Anyone examining Angelina Jolie's left breast for long enough will come up with 30 pages of complaints about it.

5. We did it first, America. Stop being jealous. :) No doubt your version will have similar teething problems.

6. If you want originality do not watch a spin-off.

Just finished watching the first episode of Top Gear Australia. Wasn't exepecting it to be superior than TGUK however it wasn't bad. It mostly fit in the middle and it definately has a few teething problems, it'll need to work them out. Charlie Cox is nothing but irritating as hell and for me i often thought that he was trying to imitate Clarkson. The two other presenters Warren Brown and Steve Pizzati i found to be very entertaining. At first i thought they were going to copy James May and Richard Hammond (especially with Warren getting lost in places.) I think once the 3 of them gel together and generate their own chemistry which out TGUK Trio have, the series will move along much faster.
6 out of 10 for that one. Not as bad as i was expecting and just enough to keep me entertained and coming back next week.

Comments:
REMOVE: All vehicle manufacturer sponsorship. THIS IS CRITICAL. See "The Car Show" and defunct "Test Drive" for how bad things could get.
PHOTOGRAPHY: good start except for track vision
TRACK: what the...hell are the oversized white marshmallows? I actually have no idea of the track configuration.
SET: Cringeworthy copy. Shirely there could have been some artistic license. Maybe banana chairs by the BBQ...
SCRIPT: Hokey, pun laden and short on unique Australian larrikin charm. Without comparing TGAU to TGUK what cannot be denied is that TGUK is unashamedly BRITISH.
HOSTS: Brown: good potential, cartoons and cars who'd have thought. Like him. Pizatti: over-acting/active little twerp, just like Hammond. Cox: needs to make some insightful comments, really get into it. Finally, get some sun Charlie, or perhaps Pizatti can start a running joke about Cox's fake tan...

All the best to them.

4. Anyone examining Angelina Jolie's left breast for long enough will come up with 30 pages of complaints about it.

WooHoo! I have homework!

:)

BTW: Can anyone work out whether it was High Definition?

Last edited:
Are people comparing EPISODE #1 of TGAUS with the well seasoned latter series' of TGUK? Put episode #1 of each version back to back. I don't know about about you but TGUK#101 wasn't that great either.

Bite your tongue...just compare Jeremy starting the Zonda to Warren starting the LP560 in the studio!...They both had a bit of a quirky moment before they got the car started you tell me which one made you laugh...TGUK in the begining was great from the start and just got better.

If you have the oppertunity to examine Angelina Jolie's left breast please don't spend the time looking for faults...If SMART made that they're financial troubles would be over:lol:

I'm not one to bitch, but we didn't actually see Boycie and the shark at the same time.

I'm sorry, I downloaded it open minded to try it out.. It was a disaster. The presenters weren't interesting or professional at all; I don't feel like I could stake my line of trust upon them just yet(if ever). The whole entire episode felt rushed and almost like a un-humorous parody of the original. When I saw the test track I felt as if they had betrayed the one an only original stig by making another.

In my opinion that is the last episode i'll download, I hope the show in Australia crashes and flops. I hate this version of top gear sincerely.

I'm sorry, I downloaded it open minded to try it out.. It was a disaster. The presenters weren't interesting or professional at all; I don't feel like I could stake my line of trust upon them just yet(if ever). The whole entire episode felt rushed and almost like a un-humorous parody of the original. When I saw the test track I felt as if they had betrayed the one an only original stig by making another.

In my opinion that is the last episode i'll download, I hope the show in Australia crashes and flops. I hate this version of top gear sincerely.

Geeezzzze...way to give it a chance. Can't imagine your comments if you hadn't watched it with an open mind. :blink: