[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
Er...

Er...

They've done it all wrong.

They've picked the guys just to make it similar to TGUK, and it shouldn't be that way. Maybe the spirit should be the same, but not the shape.

There's a thin line for that, since if you make it too different, then others will say "that's not TG, that's shit", and they might be right.

Anyway, sometimes they're too hard to understand (I'm Spanish, I'm not used to australian accent, and I won't give you your fish neither :p ), their descriptions are vague, uncomplete. Their descriptions are undescripted.

They should have taken a view of the track, which they didn't, they should have told us what the desert challenge was really about (not needed to be the way Hammond does, but you know what I mean).

It's just that they seem not to have ever watched a single episode of TGUK, then someone told them "hey, you gotta do this program, yep, it's about cars and you have to do this, this and this part... how? well, you'll get to know by yourselves".

They also lack of a good man for the music, which sometimes makes a TGUK car review more interesting than the car itself.

At least I'm hoping to see Nicole Kidman behind the wheel... :rolleyes:

Far too many pages to read. I should have kept up. My torrent keeps cancelling on me, should I bother trying again or is it really that bad?

EDIT: Nevermind. I downloaded it, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited:
I've seen this episode and based on IT'S OWN MERITS, I'd give it a...

Well, it's greatest merit is the fact that it is a complete and utter ripoff so...

In all seriousness, it was okay I guess... Reasonably well made, reasonably entertaining (aside from the first sound of tg tunes combined with aussie accent... which was hilarious), and as it's the first episode there's potential for improvement...

But what really bothers me is that they are trying too hard to be tg uk, especially as far as the studio bits go. They have carbon copy of the same studio, carbon copy of the power lap time board, very slightly modified top gear theme and in general they try to do the same things, down to Cox saying exactly same phrases in the same way as Clarkson does. It just shouts out 'bad, cheap copy' which is not good. They should do things in their own way instead of trying to copy everything. The 'what were they thinking' board was the only really original studio bit and I liked that.

^^ I Agree!

Even though Viper started this thread off asking not to compare the show with TG UK, there is just no way to avoid the comparison. The opening theme, the set and the season preview rolls, and already you'd have expect to see Jeremy.

IMO this show could have been a lot better if they had tried to be a bit different from TG UK. As it is, it feels like the presenters are almost forced into cocking about, even though their own style might differ a bit from the Clarkson-Hammond-May combo. Case in point, Fifth Gear's Tom, Johnny and Tim mess around quite a bit, but always in their own way.

As it is, TG AU isn't funny, and because it tried to be TG UK it isn't very informative either. Not worth watching IMO, even the Lovejoy series was better.

It has potential, but this Charlie Cox isn't very good. The other two could be pretty good presenters as they get more and more comfortable. Steve reminds me of Hammond, actually, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Warren could be pretty entertaining as the series goes on as well. Charlie though, he's just not interesting, and since he's positioned as the 'leader' he's got to carry the show. Reminds me of Jeremy going on about racing drivers and their tiiiiiny tiny racing driver brains.

But that's just initial impressions. Honestly? As they get more comfortable with each other, I think it'll become a quality entry in the series.

That said, it does make me appreciate the original even more, since it's clearly very difficult to get three generally entertaining people with great chemistry making a show together. And hey, they didn't get it completely right in their first season either.

Just Wondering...

Just Wondering...

Is it just me, or when they showed the Stig's lap times for the Nissan GT-R, was there something strage about the interior?

...Looked more like the M3 then the GT-R

Anybody else notice?

Is it just me, or when they showed the Stig's lap times for the Nissan GT-R, was there something strage about the interior?

...Looked more like the M3 then the GT-R

Anybody else notice?

It looked as though it was a modified GT-R from what looked like decals or something on one side. The interior could have been modified as well. Maybe it's why it posted such a fast time.

I hadn't read anything about TGA so when I watched the show I was surprised to see that the intro and set were exactly the same as TG, though I suppose it makes perfect sense. I liked all of the presenters, though the main guy's voice got a little annoying at times. Even though the commercial breaks must have been very short, meaning this version will probably have more content per hour than TGUS will have, it showed me that the show can be set up for breaks and still flow pretty well. It also got the thumbs up from the lady, so I am happy to say that TGA is now an official part of mt TV lineup. Also, I can't wait to start hearing all sorts of weird Aussie words.

I'm with you guys on Charlie Cox being annoying. He just comes across as a rich prick who seems to be better than everyone else. Jeremy Clark does get cocky as well, but he also seems like the kind of guy who could walk into a local bar of a blue collar neighborhood and hang out with the locals. He seems like a people person. Replace Cox and I think the show may stand a chance. The young guy Steve, who is a driving instructor, has a real passion for cars and it shows. That cartoonist guy, Warren, seems to lack car knowledge, but has the ambition to learn. I really think he will great improve if the show continues.

Cliff notes - Charlie Cox needs to be replaced. Replace him with someone more like Steve.

Finally got to see this today. A decent start, I think. Definitely better than the first UK episodes... I think Charlie Cox needs to turn the volume down a little... he's reminding me a little bit of Daryl Eastlake when he gets wound up.

The only way is up!

5/10

Finally watched this. Definitely rough around the edges, but it was alright. That is it was until the Mini Moke bit. That was completely pointless and stupid.

Still though, more interesting than the first episode of Top Gear.

6/10

Well, I watched it, expecting it to be utter crap. It was rather better than that (I'd rate it better than Fifth Gear).

But, Charlie is just plain annoying. Didn't mind the other two.

And sorry, but the interviews with 'stars' are often boring on TGUK, and that's with Jeremy doing them. With Charlie doing them, they really suck.

Actually, I don't like Charlie....

The second episode was better and getting there. Like a proper work in progress, they'll keep refining it. Im sure they read all the reviews and look at making the changes necessary to keep it being 'tuned', like any professional outfit. Like I said before, it was their first, then second day on the job, if it was one of us we'd expect to do bad, just give the guys a chance to gel and find their on-air personalities. The second Episode was definitley heading in the right direction, Warren in the Smart Hearse was funny and had me laughing out loud.

Rock on TGA.

i quite liked it, I voted 6, because there is a lot of potential that wasn't used yet, but good effort for the first episode.
The soft roaders bit was quite fun, although I was missing some voice-overs, to have a story flow in the segment.
We could also do with the introduction of the track.. and the reasonably priced car maybe..
Beautiful camera shots, btw in all segments!
"What were they thinking" is an excellent idea, hope to see more of it going forward

i actually voted 8.

i went into it not expecting much at all. i enjoyed it.. its very different from the usual fifth gear/top gear, but its nice to see some off-roading and the way they test/review the cars.

i'll be following religiously.

I really liked it alot, it turned out better than what I thought it would. Now off to watch the second episode.