Votes: 80 28.3%

Votes: 40 14.1%

Votes: 20 7.1%

Votes: 15 5.3%

Votes: 3 1.1%

Votes: 5 1.8%

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
I liked this episode more than last week. The challenges for the most part were pretty fun to watch. I lol'ed at the ending too. Nash would make a great Top Gear Dog. I gave it a strong 7/10

They are like copying all the worst bits from the UK show and making their own version. Well, the Evo bit was still the best on this episode and the guy can really drive so it was quite enjoyable to watch.
Still, I'd like to see cars compared to cars not cars compared to skiers or helicopters on that matter.
The bearded guy is annoying don't like him at all.

I really really liked it. I agree that JC's interviews are way too long. And I think this interview was very good. He let the interviewer talk and I felt a very good rapport between the 2 of them. Also the music is getting better, camera work is getting better and we can see instead of Jeremy's cockiness vs May-Hammond the fight is going to be Adam and Ruth against Tanner's ability as a driver. I give this episode a 9, why? It is way better than the average UK TopGear's episode.

After the pilot episode, this improved more than I expected. So, it suggests promise for the rest of the season.

There are still a lot of rough edges here, especially considering a unscripted dog pee on stage is discussed as the funniest moment. At this point the show just feels scripted - of course TGUK is scripted as well, but the hosts and producers hide the fact better. Granted, it's very hard for most people/hosts to be funny or focused without a script, so it's a necessary evil for these guys and this show.

With this level of improvement there's real promise... Aston piece had a few shots which rivaled some of TGUKs best.

Pinocchio is less wooden then these guys.

Not to be pedantic but the V12 Vantage has the DBS engine not the DB9.

Last edited:
6/10 for me. An improvement over the first show. The drifting segment is, by far, the highlight of the show thus far.

Rutledge really needs to work on his pronunciation. He seems like a very personable guy, but his presenting skills are weak and perhaps overshadow his potential as a host.

Tanner needs to remove that choir boy "oh my gosh" from his on-camera repertoire. Little things like that stand out like a small water stain on an otherwise unblemished ceiling.

I'm not sure if it's the presenters or the writing, but it's all still way too stiff. And there's too much writing as well. Don't waste 30 seconds telling me the differences between a V8 and a V12. And trying to create a link between Aston cramming a V12 into the space where a V8 once was and American hot rodding is just ridiculous. Focus on the important things: it's pretty and it's fast. The cheap attempt to tweak the Brits with a couple "liar" references was incredibly poor. Shall we start looking at American cars, the max on their speedos, and the ability of its stock engine? If you want to have a go at the Brits find something better, like that stupid "power. beauty. soul." line from Aston. "Pretentious. Euro. Mongs."

But in that last segment, where the guys weren't required to read from a script (much) and just have fun was way enjoyable. Once the producers start to clue into this I think the show will really take off.

I hate to say it, but last night's show was boring. I love cars, but I love TGUK because of the humor in the show. That's why it became one of the world's most popular television shows and Fifth Gear hasn't. It's not so much a car show with humor, but (like it or not) it's a comedy show about cars.

The hosts are dry, humorless, and depend too much on scripts. The UK hosts are journalists, which mean that their stock in trade is words. They also have a naturally wicked sense of humor. I know it's supposed to be scripted, but I think the situations are scripted and the hosts ad-lib much, if not most, of the material. The TGUS hosts don't seem to do much if any ad-libbing at all.

They really need a Jeremy-type character in there. A loud, opinionated buffoon who more often than not, gets put "into his place". Again, Jay Leno would have been perfect in that position. I would suggest going to Jalopnik and talking to some of the writers on there to see how they would do. Former Jalopnik writer Murilee Martin would be a good choice to start with.

Where are the cheap car challenges? The crazy projects where the three hosts can show off their chemistry? You know, the funny stuff?? Watching tests of Astons, Evos, Vipers, Lambos and other cars that I'll never be able to drive, let alone afford to buy, is interesting, but I can get that kind of information from Fifth Gear or a thousand internet sites.

Spend more time building up the Stig's background and "personality". Have fun with him.

They can fix it, but they will, at least at first, need to pattern it more after the UK version in spite of the criticism fan boys will throw at it for being a copycat. It's a formula that works. Otherwise, they might as well re-title it as "Fifth Gear USA", and nobody will be downloading or watching that.

BTW, I really, really want the show to succeed, but the best thing about last night's show was the dog.... perfect ending. At least he/she knows how to do a proper ad-lib.

its not about the "fanboys" getting mad. what we are used to here in the US is a nice British accent, a giant fat oaf, a little hipster and a soft spoken man who could care less throwing out "oh cock" every few shows. we are spoiled. what we have now is 3 americans doing things we expect them to do. you bet your disapointed. people on here, including me, have been saying for months now that you MUST NOT watch this and compare it to the UK show because you wont like what you see. they took the basic formula and tranferred it. thats exactly what they said they would do. we got what they promiced. the reason why NBC didnt keep it is because they didnt want to invest in something they werent sure would work. history is taking a chance with a 10 epp season comitment because they know it will take time. hang in there, this will be good. just stop trying to see the Jeremy, Richard and James in the 3 guys and start looking for Adam, Tanner and Rut.

not meant to be a mean post, just trying to help

This episode is much better then the first one was. But still their style of filming is wrong, they should use lower frame rates, like top gear uk and more filters in front of the camera to give it a more dramatic look or the top gear will look like mythbusters and other documentary style shows, but they got their cameras stabilized for the second episode. Are they really using a DSLR to shoot some scenes? Like the 5D Mark II and 7D? Finished watching the episode and it still feels kinda cheesey. But yeah not bad for rookies.

Last edited:
I gave it a 5. I really want to like this show, but the recycled bits make it hard not to compare it to the OG Top Gear. The camera work was better this episode, but the music is still weak, and hosts are boring. Tanner has potential, and it's impossible not to overlook his skill & credibility. I say dump the other two, bring back Carolla, if they can get him, and add one proper auto journalist, someone who has a way with words, and experience testing cars.

This episode is much better then the first one was. But still their style of filming is wrong, they should use lower frame rates,

I could've sworn the films, at the very least, look to be about 24-25 fps (not counting the in-car cameras), while the in-studio stuff is the standard 29.97 or 30 fps? Can someone look into this?

just stop trying to see the Jeremy, Richard and James in the 3 guys and start looking for Adam, Tanner and Rut.

THIS! :nod:

And in this same vein, let's also please stop asking for certain hosts to be replaced until the season ends. Two episodes is not enough time, IMO.

the show got better for all the reasons listed before.

when the dog pissed was i the only one who was thinking "...and on that bombshell, it's time to end the show. good night"

I liked this one, better than most shows on History atleast. it was nicely organized this time too! The advertisements were less interrupting, and the camera was better. 8/10

Definitely an improvement.

Evo / Skiers: We're starting to see the camera work / editing that's a trademark of the Top Gear brand. Definitely a plus.
Aston: Let's be honest here. This is a far better review than Clarkson did, of either version. (His review of the V12 was just an excuse for an extended video essay on The Death of the Supercar, and he didn't really do all that much in the comparo of Vantage / Porsche / BMW X6.)
BS/SC: I'm a bit surprised that neither guest mentioned the British SIARPC, since DM's from Britain and presumably knows about that version. Rutwood definitely needs to work on his enthusiasm for introductions.
Drift Challenge: Actually fairly impressive. But the ending in-studio was just priceless -- and perfectly in-line with the TG philosophy of "ambitious but rubbish."

8.5 out of 10.

THIS! :nod:

And in this same vein, let's also please stop asking for certain hosts to be replaced until the season ends. Two episodes is not enough time, IMO.

im thinking of making that line i wrote my signature! lol

another thing to add, i think it will get better as they get more used to introducing films. once stig intros and film intros and outros become more common i think they will be more seamless. im fairly sure that as this show progresses they will look back and laugh at how bad the studio stuff was.

im also going to repeat myself from before because i got no responce (because most people come on here just to drop a post then leave without becomming part of the discussion and then these good reviews get lost)

i think the Aston film was by far the best thing they have done. i think Rut did a wonderful job of narrating it, the writing was wonderful and the shoot was very good. ended kinda abruptly though. opinions?

im also going to repeat myself from before because i got no responce (because most people come on here just to drop a post then leave without becomming part of the discussion and then these good reviews get lost)

i think the Aston film was by far the best thing they have done. i think Rut did a wonderful job of narrating it, the writing was wonderful and the shoot was very good. ended kinda abruptly though. opinions?
i'll chime in on this one. what i saw on the Aston-Martin segment was the Top Gear we all know and admire without being a copy of the original and it showed that any one of the 3 could have their own views on cars. from the cinematography to Rutledge's narration/review, i couldn't ask for more than what was given by last night's episode.

i think by the season finale, TRUE Top Gear fans will appreciate BBC Worldwide's attempt to create a program that appeals to a whole different audience.

the plain and simple of it is this -

in the UK the presentors are also the producers in that they help to write what goes on in the show, the lines, etc this feels natural to us the viewers

in the US the script writers are all held up at gun point to produce teh most wooden dull humor possible and then the 2 idiots and 1 driver are asked to read those lines aloud....

yeesh

I'm torn. Last week I thought that Ferrera was the only one worth keeping around. This week I've changed my mind. He hasn't contributed anything. His scripted throw away jokes are awful and his interactions with the other two are painful. Adam Carolla needs to be brought back in. Please make that happen.

Anyway...
The EVO race, while a copy of the UK version, was very entertaining. Faust was still, at times, cringe-worthy, but for the most part I enjoyed it. His driving was phenomenal, the snow section was terrific, and most of his comments about the car were interesting. However, the propane truck nonsense went on too long and he's not witty enough to make it funny. (OT: those are the best skiers they could find? They sucked) 7.5/10

Aston sequence: I liked it for the most part. Very good filming and Routledge was good enough. Contrary to what some others have said, my favorite part was when he just showed the engines of the two cars and compared them. I enjoyed seeing the difference in space and him comparing it to "hot-rodding" made sense to me. Show me something about the car(s) in question and make it interesting; well done. That said, the shots taken at "the brits" were poorly done. Make fun of the startup sequence ala Clarkson, not the fact that the speedometer shows more than it's top speed...? I drive a Suburban. The speedometer shows 100 in it. It won't do that. Same goes for just about every other car out there. This isn't something unique to Astons. I thought that was really dumb and obviously stretching for a joke that wasn't there. There also wasn't enough "reviewing" being done. Like last week, the fact that you can drive the car at top speed doesn't really fascinate me. Sure, do that, but also take it around some corners. Show me the interior. How's the handling? How does it feel to drive around? Important stuff that is still missing. 6/10

SIARPC: Still the worst part of the show, but soooooo much better than last week. At least we got to hear DM speak about SOMETHING. Yeah, it was canned, prerehearsed stuff, but it was still better than Aldrin's interview. Ferrera sucked at this last week. Routledge was a huge improvement. But not enough. 4/10

Drift sequence: I didn't really enjoy it. Did Ferrera even say anything? I can't even remember. I just don't think these guys have enough chemistry yet to pull of the banter/competitiveness that's required for sequences such as this. Foust teaching the blind guy was enjoyable. The rest wasn't really noteworthy.
4/10

Overall: Pretty sure I gave the last episode a 5, so 5.5/10, round to 6

its not about the "fanboys" getting mad. what we are used to here in the US is a nice British accent, a giant fat oaf, a little hipster and a soft spoken man who could care less throwing out "oh cock" every few shows. we are spoiled. what we have now is 3 americans doing things we expect them to do. you bet your disapointed. people on here, including me, have been saying for months now that you MUST NOT watch this and compare it to the UK show because you wont like what you see. they took the basic formula and tranferred it. thats exactly what they said they would do. we got what they promiced. the reason why NBC didnt keep it is because they didnt want to invest in something they werent sure would work. history is taking a chance with a 10 epp season comitment because they know it will take time. hang in there, this will be good. just stop trying to see the Jeremy, Richard and James in the 3 guys and start looking for Adam, Tanner and Rut.

not meant to be a mean post, just trying to help

You didn't read my post carefully enough. I never said to get clones of the UK guys. I'm just saying to get some hosts that are comfortable enough in front of the camera to be themselves. I'm just saying to use journalists who can come up with their own words instead of relying on writers and then just reading those words. I'm just saying that the personalities of the hosts should be different from each other, with one being a buffoon. I'm just saying that they need to interject a bunch of humor into it. Do some funny commentary while driving the cars. Laugh once in a while. Stuff like that.

I'm not comparing it to the British version, but maybe we should. They have come up with a formula that works. We should use it. The fanboys I was talking about were the ones complaining that we copied the UK version and we shouldn't. I'm saying that the audience needed to make this a success are not all car people, and most of them have never seen TGUK. It doesn't matter if we copy them.