[01x02] October 6th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehornmatt

With the premiere episode just around the corner, Top Gear Australia has revealed all the juicy details surrounding its second episode to CarAdvice.

In this episode, the team are poised to settle the great Aussie muscle car grudge match - Holden versus Ford.

Charlie and Steve have taken the HSV Clubsport and FPV F6 to Wakefield Park in NSW for a final performance showdown between the brutes.

Then the trio have also managed to shutdown the largest open pit gold mine in the country - the Kalgoorlie Super Pit, where they will test their ute of choice in a race against the Stig.

After nearly being eaten alive by sharks in the first episode, Warren Brown is faced with yet another ?deadly? challenge - to convert a Smart car into a hearse for under $200.

The token supercar for the week will be one of only two right-hand drive Ford GT?s in Australia with Charlie Cox behind the wheel.

Steve Bisley of Mad Max and Water Rats fame will attempt to outpace Vince Colosimo as the star in a reasonably priced car.

Episode two of Top Gear Australia airs Monday October 6th on SBS.
With the ute thing, another article said (and the picture below shows) that Charlie had a Nissan Navaro, Pizzati had a Falcon XR6 and Warren had a Proton Jumbuck (though the article mentioned that fuel economy is a factor, so there may be a good reason for choosing the Jumbuck)

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/27/tg_wakefield_00068.thumbnail.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/27/tg_superpit_aug_1590.thumbnail.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/16956/top-gear-australia-episode-two-preview/

Last edited:
although i am a holden fan but still i cant understand, why didnt they take on GT with Clubsport. why F6. F6 is not as powerfull as Clubspot. remember Clubsport is 317KW and a V8 wher as F6 is a in line 6 with 310KW.
i didnt get it.

Looks like a good line up.

although i am a holden fan but still i cant understand, why didnt they take on GT with Clubsport. why F6. F6 is not as powerfull as Clubspot. remember Clubsport is 317KW and a V8 wher as F6 is a in line 6 with 310KW.
i didnt get it.

Because the F6 is a much better package than the GT. 7kw means nothing at those levels of output - what matters far more is the motor's reponse & torque, which the F6 has in spades. The GT is the inferior car - V8 regardless.

The F6 is miles ahead of the GT, and arguably the Clubsport.

The V8 engine only appears in the entire FPV range once to keep the sentimental bogans happy.

i didnt get it.

GT costs more, and it's a fairer match to the Clubsport as the GT is more of a cruiser, I believe.

Looks like a good line up.

Because the F6 is a much better package than the GT. 7kw means nothing at those levels of output - what matters far more is the motor's reponse & torque, which the F6 has in spades. The GT is the inferior car - V8 regardless.

i thought the otherwise. thanks for reseting my knowledge, i am so looking forword for this fight.

The F6 is miles ahead of the GT, and arguably the Clubsport.

The V8 engine only appears in the entire FPV range once to keep the sentimental bogans happy.
I wouldn't go that far. Some people prefer the sound of a v8, and i would argue that in the long term, its going to prove more reliable. The v8 is a cultural icon in Australia, at the pub, people arn't going to say "oh, but the f6 is 0.4 seconds faster across the quarter mile", saying you have a v8 Falcon is more than enough.

I think the BOSS is far improved for the FG, but its still thirstier, and slower than the LS3 Holdens, which are thirstier and slower than the turbo falcon.

I couldn't really see Holden getting a one up on the Typhoon any time soon, even if they can unlock the full 327kw of the LS3 with a new transmission, it looks like FPV will own the game (drivetrain wise) until the inline 6's demise.

you couldn't possibly have TGA without at least one Ford v Holden pissing competition per series. That would be totally un-Australian ... sort of like how you couldn't have a series of TG UK without Jezza nursing a semi over the latest Aston Martin at least once per series ... ;)

you couldn't possibly have TGA without at least one Ford v Holden pissing competition per series. That would be totally un-Australian ... sort of like how you couldn't have a series of TG UK without Jezza nursing a semi over the latest Aston Martin at least once per series ... ;)

agreed, i can't believe people complain about it, its an australian car show, lets show australian cars.

Its the same with the standard cars. Just about every reviewer says that the XR6 Turbo is better than the XR8.

really it is very strange. but then i have never driven xr6 turbo, i have xr8 though. i was looking at the ford website an hour ago and it said turbo has 20 less KW than XR8 but 13Nm more torue. i dont know if they know about this thing :p

LMAO...they're actually testing a Proton :lmao: Well good on 'em. TG AU will need to focus on more reasonably priced cars as they won't be getting their hands on as many supercars as TG UK.

That Kalgoorlie Super Pit segment looks pretty schmick. Very TopGear-esk. Looking forward to that one :)

agreed, i can't believe people complain about it, its an australian car show, lets show australian cars.

TGau would be quite shit if it was just the same cars on regular top gear a year later.
I agree, we need our Holdens and Fords on TG AU. Heck, I've been wanting to see a Falcon on any Top Gear for ages to see what they think of it.

Just so long as TG AU doesn't become like Wheels and Motor mags in that a Holden and Ford features on their 'front cover' every episode.

Oh and if I were in the market for an FPV - I'd have a hard time picking between the F6 and the GT. The F6 makes sense but the GT....its a V8 - need I say any more? Call me stupid or a sucker or both. But the V8-ness of it all is what its about for me. Even if its not quicker than the I6.

You'd pay all that extra money just so you could say your car is a V8?
I didn't say I would.

But I guess what I'm saying is - I can understand why people would buy the slower, less value-for-money V8 over the F6.

The V8 has loads more character and then theres the 'cultural icon' part of it all.

Honestly, I'd probs get a F6. But I'd be envious of the guy with the V8.

Fair enough.

Its all about how the car makes you feel. Its worth spending a little more if it makes you smile each time you get in.

there are cars in market with 4 cylinder but better performer than V8. there are cars in the vintage bazar with V12 but inferior perfomace than Astra.
but the feeling of having a V8 under the front compartment, the sound of V8 rumble, is all about the v8. to me performance comes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.