[01x03] December 2nd, 2016

[01x03] December 2nd, 2016

• Total voters
I agree, I don't think any of the first 3 episodes is a potential "classic" episode like the some of the ones they made at Top Gear. I still want to see them do a "challenge" episode to see if they still have that 'unintentional banter' in them.

If all the episodes this season is as heavily scripted as the first ones then I will not be happy. But still early in the season thankfully :)

And is Jezza's footwear silhouette in the "Conversation Street" intro acknowledgement of the "Jennifer" Porsche 918 bet from TG?

I noticed that too! Cracked me up. Was it like that for the other episodes or just that one?

I have been thinking about Friday's episode over the last couple days, and while I thought it was a rebound from last week's and I gave it an 8/10 (I think sub consciously I am rating these on its potential to get better). I don't even honestly know if I really liked it that much. Just from a standpoint of 'rewatchability', I have no desire to rewatch any of the episodes so far. Anyone else feel the same way?

Maybe it'll be rewatchable in 3~5 years? I rewatched series 18-22 recently of TG. Enjoyed it.

Just watched again. Anyone else noticed Clarkson mentioning the seat on his driverless car? "It is so easy to get in and out of, you know"

I noticed that too! Cracked me up. Was it like that for the other episodes or just that one?

It's definitely a normal shoe in the first episode. I seem to have misplaced the next show, so I can't check at present.

[Edit] Checked Ep. 02 and JC's wearing normal shoes in that Conversation Street intro, so stilettos only in the 3rd one.

Last edited:
Didn't they mention they actually had a different 'bespoke' version of that intro for every episode?

I really hope they won't be putting Clarkson in drag for the whole Jennifer thing.......No, just, just no.

The episode was ok but Richard Hammond ruined it for me. He is always hyper and I feel James is getting a bit left out in the trio. Only Jeremy Clarkson is up to his TG standards.
TBH I didn't like this one at all and you just have written it for me.

1) James reduced to less than a sidekick with almost no chance to say anything.
2) Unfunny studio bits (they were better in EP2, although some offensive on a level they would have never been broadcasted if it was Top Gear)
3) The road trip resembled both Jeremy & Richard's DVDs and the Hamster really was overacting.

The hated Jordan bit wasn't this bad - at least it was shorter.

Last edited:
Maybe it'll be rewatchable in 3~5 years? I rewatched series 18-22 recently of TG. Enjoyed it.

That's my hope...but I am still chalking it up to they are finding their footing and figuring exactly what type of show they are making. Still very early in the process

You know, despite me being extatic the boys are back, and all TGT hype I am very happy to get caught in , I realise we are not making anything for the centuries here.... We are experiencing 3 blokes, 3 normal, everyday blokes, coming from a very good, amazing thing, taken from them by bullshit PC nonesense, experiencing the twilight of their career, and you know what they be doing? Trying to make something amazing out of it, maybee making a buck on the go....and you know what, I thank them for it. Oh so very much.

Last edited:
BTW, Richard and Jeremy said something about the low number of people passing their driving tests. But their numbers seemed very low (16,000 in 2007, 4650 in 2015). The number of births in England and Wales in 2014 and 2013 was a bit less than 700,000. (http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat.../birthsummarytablesenglandandwales/2015-07-15) Twenty years ago it was a bit less (643,095) (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/228901/9787777148210.pdf, page 32)
So, each year more than 600,000 people will reach the age to learn to drive. 4650 is less than 1% of that number, which is quite implausible.

Last edited:
A few points off for overplaying Richard's "annoying" persona on the trip, but then some extra points back for not having the American, shortening the Celebrity thing (though I wouldn't mind it gone altogether, even though it was great to see Simon Pegg), and continuing to improve on the studio bits. Richard's persona aside, the Italy trip was a real pleasure to watch, and the photography was truly magnificent. Overall I quite enjoyed this episode.

The celeb thing, for all that is decent and holy, with every fibre of my beeing that loves the powertrio and this show, if anyone on TGT bothers to check these boards, PLEASE STOP IT. It was mediocre the first time, cringeworty the second, and now its just beyond terrible, like police academy 7 levels beyond terrible.

Do you remember how people on here used to PLEAD with them to stop saying "and on that bombshell". This is that. I suspect the celeb thing will go on forever.

Do you remember how people on here used to PLEAD with them to stop saying "and on that bombshell". This is that. I suspect the celeb thing will go on forever.

Probably not, because you have to remember that the celebrity thing is GT's version of SIARPC. Based on the negative feedback, I think this is going to be redesigned.

Thing is, it *can't* be gotten rid of completely. Having celebrities keeps GT as part of the British talk-show circuit (in much the same way that SIARPC did when Jonathan Ross was off-air) and offers celebrities a chance to do *something* that *isn't* the standard talk-show interview / riff. It adds buzz to mainstream media coverage, and TV pundits will tell you that specialty shows like TG *need* that kind of buzz.

So the question is how will TGT series 2 treat celebrity guests, since the "death scene" isn't working and they can't do laps round the Eboladrome?

My own suggestion would be a timed car repair (e.g. change tire, connect battery) followed by a quarter-mile drag race against James.

Probably not, because you have to remember that the celebrity thing is GT's version of SIARPC. Based on the negative feedback, I think this is going to be redesigned.

Thing is, it *can't* be gotten rid of completely. Having celebrities keeps GT as part of the British talk-show circuit (in much the same way that SIARPC did when Jonathan Ross was off-air) and offers celebrities a chance to do *something* that *isn't* the standard talk-show interview / riff. It adds buzz to mainstream media coverage, and TV pundits will tell you that specialty shows like TG *need* that kind of buzz.

So the question is how will TGT series 2 treat celebrity guests, since the "death scene" isn't working and they can't do laps round the Eboladrome?

My own suggestion would be a timed car repair (e.g. change tire, connect battery) followed by a quarter-mile drag race against James.

Except that I have a feeling the reason there's no SIARPC or celeb interview is becasue the BBC lawyers (or, perhaps, Amazon's out of fear) told them they couldn't do it. The celeb death is a way around that. But I can't prove that and I don't know for sure.

Main film - it was so nearly there but the whole "Hammond being an utter chav" thing got old really quickly.

The News (sue me, BBC :p) was one of their best in a long while.

The dead celebrity thing doesn't work. Period. Kill it with fire.

And while it's perfectly clear that Clarkson has planning permission to demolish that building and put up something new the whole glee at the wanton destruction made me cringe and feel really uncomfortable.

7/10. To use their own words, it was a Michelin starred meal ruined with fries and ketchup.